I Bought All They Had!

Started by gitano, December 28, 2015, 12:40:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gitano

I wasn't aware that Remington (or anybody) made 16ga shotgun slugs. While wandering the aisles in Cabelas the other day, I ran across these:  http://www.midwayusa.com/product/413280/remington-slugger-ammunition-16-gauge-2-3-4-4-5-oz-rifled-slug-box-of-5.

As I didn't know commercially available 16ga slug ammo was available, and I had never even heard of these, I bought all three boxes they had in stock. I paid 50 cents per box more than MidwayUSA is asking for them - $4.99/5. That extra $1.50 is a heckuva lot less than I would have had to pay for shipping IF shipping ammo to Alaska was even possible (it isn't).

I'm liking this Cabelas store. A certain sign that they will be selling out to Bass Pro Shops as rumored AND essentially 'going away'.

Paul

PS - I wonder how well they will do precision-wise in the rifled barrel of my French SxS "Boar" gun. http://thehunterslife.com/forums/showthread.php?t=15160&highlight=boar http://thehunterslife.com/forums/showthread.php?t=14111&highlight=Boar

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

farmboy

That does seem like a rare thing to find regular 16 gauge shells are getting hard to find around here. I friend of mine cast me some round balls for a 12 gauge and have them to me for Christmas I have to load a few and try them.

gitano

There's a guy in England that will make custom brass round-ball molds for pretty darn cheap. I think I got my .620" RB molds for about $45 DELIVERED! (No handles.) I have threatened to get some 16ga RB molds from him, but haven't as yet.

I don't recall you having a 16ga, farmboy. Do you?

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

sakorick

Quote from: farmboy;142589That does seem like a rare thing to find regular 16 gauge shells are getting hard to find around here. I friend of mine cast me some round balls for a 12 gauge and have them to me for Christmas I have to load a few and try them.

Are you needing 16 Ga 1 ounce slugs? BP has the cheap.....
http://www.ballisticproducts.com/16ga-DGS-16-Slug-25_pak/productinfo/0721616/
Talk to yourself. There are times you need expert advice.

farmboy

No I have never had one there are a lot of them around here every farm had a 12 or a 16 our farm was a twelve gauge place. All I ment was looking around the stores there is the most ammo for in this order 12  then 20 then 410 then ten then 28 and 16 are few and far between. Not really sure why because I know a lot of people that have 16 gauge pumps.

farmboy

I don't know one person that owns a 28 except the one gun store owner.

farmboy

My friend also cast and powder coated some Lee one oz slugs for a 12 gauge as well. I have a best shot ten slugs in my life.

farmboy

Quote from: sakorick;142593Are you needing 16 Ga 1 ounce slugs? BP has the cheap.....
http://www.ballisticproducts.com/16ga-DGS-16-Slug-25_pak/productinfo/0721616/

Those look like some good looking slugs!

gitano

If you go to the THL links I posted in the original post you will find some load data and range reports on my use of those Guilandi slugs from Ballistic Products. They're good, and I have no complaints about them including price: About $1 each. (Probably why I haven't gotten around to ordering a 16ga RB mold from England.) However, it is nice to see some factory-loaded ammo for 16ga. The stated MV of 1600 f/s on those cartridges is 'moving along smartly'.

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

sakorick

Quote from: farmboy;142595I don't know one person that owns a 28 except the one gun store owner.

Oh yes you do! .........My Browning 28 pump 2002 Duck Unlimited dinner gun w/ all invector chokes and hard case.....eat your heart out!

Talk to yourself. There are times you need expert advice.

farmboy

farmboy

Quote from: gitano;142598If you go to the THL links I posted in the original post you will find some load data and range reports on my use of those Guilandi slugs from Ballistic Products. They're good, and I have no complaints about them including price: About $1 each. (Probably why I haven't gotten around to ordering a 16ga RB mold from England.) However, it is nice to see some factory-loaded ammo for 16ga. The stated MV of 1600 f/s on those cartridges is 'moving along smartly'.

Paul

That's moving along!

farmboy

Ballistic products Canadian dealer is only an hour and a half away. Same guy I got the double guns from.

gitano

And I'm two, too. :D

I LOVE my SxS 28ga! I consider it THE BEST cartridge for upland birds excluding pheasants and sage grouse. I wish I had had a 28ga to learn to wing shoot on instead of a .410. I learned to shoot well with the .410, but I would have learned just as well with the 28 and wouldn't have wounded as many birds. The 28ga is perfect for grouse and ptarmigan, although I do like shooting grouse with my 16ga drilling.

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

farmboy

I could see myself perhaps buying one some day. I have never owned a 16 or a 28 or a 410. The 28 is the only one I think I might be interested in.

Tags: