"Boar" gun

Started by gitano, October 02, 2009, 01:12:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gitano

Well, I wuz gonna wait 'til I had the thing in my hands, but I think I'll risk "jinxing" the deal and post pictures of my newest acquisition. The preveious owmer called it a "Boar Gun". It's what I would call a "Cape Gun" as it is a SxS shotgun rifle. However, it's not the typical Cape Gun in that the rifled barrel is the same chambering as the smoothbore barrel. I this case, 16 ga. (What esle were you expecting? :) )

Here are the pictures from the website. I'll post more when I get the thing in my hands.

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

Bill Thibeault

What does one shoot in the rifled barrel, shotgun slugs?  I've never heard of a rifle cartridge that big.

Take care,
Bill.
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."(George Orwell)

22hornet

Is this what is called a "paradox?" gun?
Nice look gun too, I hope you get it.

What became of your cape gun? I know you had recoil issues....
"Belief:" faith in something taught, as opposed to "knowledge:" which is awareness borne of experience.

Daryl (deceased)

Mighty nice!

I'll keep my fingers crossed for ya.

Daryl
A government that abrogates any of the Bill of Rights, with or without majoritarian approval, forever acts illegitimately, becomes tyrannical, and loses the moral right to govern-Jeffrey Snyder

RIP Linden33

gitano

Quote from: Bill Thibeault;97766What does one shoot in the rifled barrel, shotgun slugs? Yup. I've never heard of a rifle cartridge that big.

Take care,
Bill.

I've got both slugs for "normal" shotgun cartridges, and I intend to shoot cast lead bullets from brass cases. Once I have the thing in my hands and measure the bore and groove diameters, I will cast my own bullets and load them in brass shotgun cases. As far as I'm concerned, that's a rifle cartridge. :)

Quote from: 22hornetIs this what is called a "paradox?" gun?
Nope. A "paradox" barrel is one that is rifled only in the last 2 to 6 inches of the muzzle but is smooth from breech to there.

Quote from: 22hornetI hope you get it.
Thanks. I've paid for it, so here's hoping nothing messes up the deal.

Quote from: 22hornetWhat became of your cape gun? I know you had recoil issues....
I still have it and it's "fine". I haven't mitigated the painful recoil, but I have no plan to 'scrap' the project. If you recall, I also have another Cape Gun. It's the Franz Sodia 16 x 9.3x74R with the external hammers. It's not yet fully functional.

I just like combination guns. Not so much the newer ones, but I really like the older ones. I'm particularly partial to drillngs and Cape Guns. Neither the previous owner, or I have ever seen a gun like the "Boar Gun" though.

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

sakorick

Sweeeeeeet! I like it. Regards, Rick.
Talk to yourself. There are times you need expert advice.

Fieldmor77

It's going to leave " tunnels " you could poke a broom handle through!.

Jamie.270

Looks like a perfectly good launcher for a "Flying Beer Keg!"
QuoteRestrictive gun laws that leave good people helpless, don\'t have the power to render bad people harmless.

To believe otherwise is folly. --  Me

gitano

That's what I was thinking Jamie.270.

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

Alboy

I wish I lived closer so maybe I could play with you and your toys sometime.
Alboy
BLACKPOWDER WATERFOWLER
KATY TEXAS PRAIRIE

THIS TOO SHALL PASS

gitano

I hear ya, Al. I wish y'all lived closer too. It more fun to play with toys with friends.

Speaking of the Franz Sodia Cape Gun, I reasembled it this afternoon and test-fired the shotgun barrel. :biggthumpup:

The rifle barrel will be fine. I still need to fabricate a forearm for it though.

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

Jamie.270

I probably shouldn't do this but,...
Have you seen one of these Paul? :

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=142205619

16ga double shotgun over 8x57JR rifle.  And a beautiful piece of work.

I like to poke around in the "Curios and Relics" dept. over at gun broker.  But I think I'll stop now!
QuoteRestrictive gun laws that leave good people helpless, don\'t have the power to render bad people harmless.

To believe otherwise is folly. --  Me

gitano

You can't do more harm than my own 'poking around' does. I'm looking at several drillings as well as other 'finds'.

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

Jorge in Oz

Very nice gun Paul.

Check this one out for sale here in Oz.

http://www.firearmsales.com.au/product/view/1097

Cheers

Jorge
"The Germans brought the best hunting rifle to the war. The Americans brought the best target rifle. The British brought the best battle rifle!"

"The early church was married to poverty, prisons and persecutions. Today, the church is married to prosperity, personality, and popularity." ― Leonard Ravenhill

gitano

Jorge,

That makes exactly two I've seen where both barrels are the shotgun "caliber". That one's very cool too. Given the exchange rate, that's not much more than I paid for mine, but I didn't get "cases, bullet moulds and dies" with mine. I also like the back action locks and external hammers too. In fact, I was a little surprised to see that a configuration like this, (both barrels the shotgun 'caliber'), was in such a "modern" action like mine is. One of the features of mine I really like is the "English" style (straight wrist) stock. I just like those stocks in shotguns and old doubles.

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

Tags: