Range report

Started by sakorick, May 25, 2007, 03:13:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sakorick

Shot the Long Branch and Savage Enfields today. It was so bad I'm embarrased. Neither liked the 125gr Sierra and poor groups were commonplace with 4895, Varget and 4064. These groups were bad....very bad, however, I'm not worried. It is obvious that neither rifle likes the 125gr bullet. I got the front sight on the Long Branch set....of course when I switch to the heavier bullet, that will all change. :Banghead: Both shoot high as does nearly every MILSURP I've ever shot. Got to get my hands on some heavier bullets....any recommendations? Regards, Rick.
Talk to yourself. There are times you need expert advice.

Hunterbug

Try the a 180gr bullet at about 2400fps and IMR-4064. If I rememeber right the 303 service round was a 174gr but 180 is pretty close.
Ask not what your government can do for you. Ask how your government can go away and get out of your life.

The unarmed man is is not only defenseless, he is also contemptible.
Niccolo Machiavelli

Brithunter

Hi All,

Here in the UK if you have an Enfield that has been shot with Cordite ammuntition. Then you keep that rifle shooting Cordites as it will not shoot as well usually with other ammunition. Also one other thing to remember is that Enfields do not normally like Boat tailed Bullets. 125Grn is light for the .303, I have got the Hornady 150 grn shooting quite well in my BSA Model E sporter built on a P-14 action, 174Grn was the normal weight for MkV11 ammo and the rifling was adopted for the 215 grn originally. The MkV11 bullet has either a firbe or alloy filler in the tip of the bullet to get the length the same as the older 215 grn bullet.

One bullet I found to shoot well was the Hornady 180 Grn RNSP bullet. Without checking I seem to recall it was loaded over H-4895 .........................................

Yep just got the records out and I used 38.4 Grns of H-4895 with a CCI 200 primer in a HXP 69 case and with this using a sporterised No1 Mk11 made by BSA in 1916 and issued to to Australian forces then converted by P-H :smiley:  it puts five shots into a very tight groups at 100 yards using a 4x32 scope.
Go Get them Floyd!

sakorick

Hot core 150gr Speers on the way. I'll check in again on this thread sometime next week. Have a wonderful Memorial Day weekend all! Regards, Rick.
Talk to yourself. There are times you need expert advice.

Brithunter

Hi Sakorick,

I hope you have a wonderful weekend :smiley: .

Oh I forgot .............................................. the No4 Enfield is sighted in to allow for the bayonet being attached. If you have a Spike bayonet try it and you might find a difference. Oh and also remember that they are sighted in for 300 yards, well the battle sight is, the aperture on the ladder goes down to 200 yards :biggthumpup: .
Go Get them Floyd!

Tags: