Brought an old scope.............

Started by Brithunter, February 16, 2007, 01:10:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brithunter

Hi All,

Was looking around on e-bay to check some prices and as usual wandered over to the sporting and hunting sections and low & behold what did I see but an earlier Nikko-Sterling Special Sporting 4x32 scope. These date for the late 1950's and 1960's and therefore go rather well on some of my sporting rifles from that period. Ahh I just checked and found that P-H were still offering this model in 1973. I already have two of them, the first one came on a P-H sporting conversion of a Enfield No1 Mk11 in .303.

Now the good bit it was only £10.50 ($18.90 US) + postage :biggthumpup: . Now I have to wait for the post to deliver the cheque and ten for it to arrive. Boy I hate that part :Banghead: .
Go Get them Floyd!

Paul Hoskins

BH, I know that feeling. My wife ordered flannel lined jeans from Haband and they got things screwed up. After a phone call things were sorted out and she finally got her order. Two weeks ago she ordered from them again and now they tell her she didn't send postage. The flyer said "Free Shipping". She is livid and sent the postage along with a note telling them it would be her last order from them..........Good girl........Paul H

babbyc1000

tell me about it bh, ive been waiting almost a month for the 50 round drum mag i bought, but what can you do. :stare:

i always use ebay for stuff for the guns, dont think ive had any bad quality stuff yet, plus i refuse to pay inflated gun shop prices for stuff i can get online - i once paid £25 for 30mm scope mounts in a gun shop. then i got ones the exact same but a diff brand from hong kong via ebay - worked out at £12 inc postage. plus my 3 - 9 scope was £24 inc postage, and the 6 - 24 with illuminated reticule was £50 all in from china - i saw others with the same sort of specs in a magazine earlier going for close to £400!! :biggthumpup:
Dont worry, I have a cunning plan...

sakorick

BH sent me some M95 clips from England to Missouri and it took only 5 days. I sent him some bullets to try and it was about the same time that way as I recall. I bought a special reamer for my router from the UK and it was delivered in 6 days......I was really impressed. There is no reason these things take that long. When I don't get something on time....I pick up the phone and threaten poor feedback......that gets the ball rolling! I don't do business with sellers that have less than a 99% rating.....that's the best way to avoid problems.

You guys in England can set up a paypal account that works great. Instant payment in US dollars and vice versa. A nice Chinese airline pilot bought a flight jacket from me on Ebay, paid with paypal and he had his jacket in Formosa 8 days later! Regards, Rick.
Talk to yourself. There are times you need expert advice.

babbyc1000

i use paypal, the guy gave me some bull about problems with customs delaying postage, tho he told me it was being shipped wednesday last week (from the us)

ah well the 50 rounder will only be a bullet waster, tho i wudve felt better if id had it earlier on, someone or something creeping was round the house, dogs were going mad and i heard weird muffled noises-thought the gf was talking on the phhone on the bedroom, but she came into me about 20 secs later as she thought i was talking on the phone beside the pc! stupidly id taken the torch off the rifle when cleaning it earlier (this was about 23.15 i had to go check) but the bullpup stock is compact enough to use 1 handed
(had torch in the other) tho i can only guess what the accuracy would have been like!

Brithunter

Hi All,

Ahhh the seller is not the problem, it's the internal Postage system, international it seems goes via a different route. When I lived down south a 1st class letter here to Mum's would take about 8 days despite the fact that 1st class is supposed to be next day delivery :frown .

I suppose I could try for a personal pick up as it's only about 60 miles away but then there is the fuel costs so I will wait.

Now as to using local shops ................... well that's a whole different ball game. if we don't use them then they dissappear ....................... and then what happens when you want ammo or a gun which cannot be posted (here in the UK at least) so I do use the local shops even tough there are no real local ones. Where I live all are a fair disrance away :( . As for buying Chinese .................................. well again that's a bit of a gamble as their quality is let's we say Varible :Banghead: .

I do have a 4x40 Chinese scope which looks to be a copy of an older Tasco scope that I brought Oh about 15+ years ago and that one has prooved to be well made although the optics are nothing to write home about it has prooved fine for range use but I would hesitat to use ut for hunting. I have also got a pair of compact Canon 8x32 binos which were made in China and they are fairly good but then again Cannon have a name to uphold. What you must remember is things like the BSA scopes it seems are Chinese made and their quality is hit or miss to say the least. Heck I even heard a rumour that leupold is now have styff made in China :eek:  anyone got any info on that one?
Go Get them Floyd!

babbyc1000

i read something recently about their lenses being made in japan (i think its leupold, but dont quote me on it, ill have to look it up again)

the 3-9 scope i have is a tasco, and the 6-24 is a zos. theyre both great scopes but im having major problems with them at the mo on the ruger. i dont know if its the scopes or the plastic bullpup stock but i cant get them zeroed at all. theres no weaver mount on the rifle itself and none of the local shops had the see through model (so you can use the iron sights as well) so i ordered one from the us, ill probly have it mid july!!

i know what you mean about keeping the shops afloat, but at the same time they really do stick it to you. im being charged approx £250 to reblue the 12 bore barrels and take out a small dent near the muzzle (so small i never noticed it til the guy pointed it out). if its only a small difference then theyll get the business but i just dont have as much money to throw around as id like, so i have to be careful with it!

Brithunter

Hi Babby,

Hmmm have you thought of what is actually involved in re-blacking a set of shotgun barrels?

The time to re-polish them alone is considerable and it's crucial to the finish as any blemishes will show like mad. Raising the dent will be the easy part :) .

I have a friend who runs a Gunshop and I would not like to pay his overheads, in fact I could not even afford the insurance premiums, let alone the Business rates, or alarm contract and that's without considering the staffs wages. which is why certain places are trying to go internet only. The EU is doing it's best to scupper them though as with this new ruling about who can actually carry guns in shipping. The prices of all guns are going to go up now as they have to be shipped from the wholesalers to the shops and that cost has just rocketed.

Small businesses now will find it extremly hard to cover these costs which I am sure is all planned out to make the sport far too expensive and so strangle it slowly out of existance :hanged: .
Go Get them Floyd!

babbyc1000

well i never thought of it like that. still, my major problem at the mo is extreme lack of finances - im still off on the sick.

anyway i just dont understand the point behind the eu. who is it that actually make the rules? its all daft imho. dont see why some over paid french or german idiot in brussels has a right to say how i live. but thats a rant destined for another time and place....

Brithunter

Hi babby,

Well the EU is simple really, it's an illegal unelected self made body. No one was ever asked about joining the EU and it's a dictatorship as the people who run it are never elected. The pople of the UK did vote on joining the Common Market which was nothing like the EU ..................................... but until the pople take their so called elected representives to task over this nothing will happen.

The people who run the EU see it as a Super State and their edicts are designed to destroy any manufacturing capacity in places like the UK so that they cannot afford to leave the EU. What with the rulers being unelected it's a clone of the old USSR and will more and more reveal it's leftist attitudes and colours.

One thing these loonies seem to be in denial about is that the USSR imploded and the EU will do the same only quicker as it cannot manage as it is. Which is why they want to swallow up more states.
Go Get them Floyd!

babbyc1000

hmmmm never thought of it that way about it imploding. ah i well suppose weve had enough problems here for the last 30 odd years with another country trying to claim us and rule us that i shouldnt i be surprised at another one doing it!

Tags: