Short action, Medium action.....

Started by sakorick, December 29, 2006, 03:07:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sakorick

I know Sako called their "short" action 222's, 223's, 22-250 etc actions the Vixson. They called the 243 and 308 "medium" caliber actions the Forester and the '06 etc. actions, L61R, Finbear, ......"long" actions.

Just what is the correct definition of a short, medium , long and huge long, ie 7mm STW, actions. Is it by manufacture or what? :confused: Regards, Rick.
Talk to yourself. There are times you need expert advice.

LLANOJOHN (deceased)

Quote from: sakorick;54932I know Sako called their "short" action 222's, 223's, 22-250 etc actions the Vixson. They called the 243 and 308 "medium" caliber actions the Forester and the '06 etc. actions, L61R, Finbear, ......"long" actions.

Just what is the correct definition of a short, medium , long and huge long, ie 7mm STW, actions. Is it by manufacture or what? :confused: Regards, Rick.

SakoRick,

You pretty well covered it with the Sako actions. It all has to do with magazine lengths, my friend. Remington/Winchester/Savage have their short & long actions, and then we have the 98 Mauser actions which are considered medium length actions and variations there also. The K98, VZ24 etc., are considered medium length actions..........then we have the Yugo 24's, 24/47's and the Yugo 48's.....just a tad shorter than the K98's, et al. Rather confusing but thats the gun world as we know it.

I have one of the Chas Daly Mini Mauser actions...I guess we would call that a short,short action of sorts...oh well!
Back to the drawing boards, my friend. Calipers are a necessity in my line of work. Happy New Year to you and yours.....................................:D

Ol' John;)
Life Member-NRA-TSRA
Riflesmith-Bolt & Lever Centerfires Only
Left-Hand Creek Rifles
Mark Twain was right-"There is no such thing as too much good whiskey!"
My best advice.."Best to stay outta trees and offa windmills!"

Jay Edward (deceased)

Of all the Sakos... I've built rifles on the L61 more than the others.  I stopped using the actions when they became cost prohibitive to the average hunter.

It used to be that you could get them with standard or magnum bolt faces... I don't know about the present.  I very much liked working with them and had only one personal objection.  I did not feel that the bolt handle looked stout enough for the Magnum rifles.  I felt it just looked a little too slim for it's length.

I've never head of one failing so it has to be a personal objection on my part.

I believe that I purchased most of them through Brownells but I do not believe they carrry them any more.  The last time I looked, they seemed to be pushing the Dakota.

Brithunter

Hi All,

Well there does not seem to be an "Industry" standard here :rolleyes:  with each manufacturer making their own designations. BSA in the late stages made one length action but tempered this by making several length magazines and machining the bolt stop on the bolt to control the length of the bolt stroke to accomodate the various cartridge lengths so on the CF2 models the bolt only travelled as far as each cartridge required and not more.

Oh Sakorick the small Sako is the Vixen :p ;) you know female Fox :cool: . The first guy I stalked with, Tony Yates, he used a pair of Sako's, a Vixen and a Forrester in 22-250 and .270 Win, sadly Tony died of bowel cancer about 8 years ago now :( .

The original BSA Hunter model came in three action lengths then they introduced the Imperial which was a magnum action so they had four action lengths in two models. This was back in the early 1950's the Hunter coming out in 53 and the Emperor in 58. However it appears that in 1966 BSA designed and produced FIVE action lengths for Herters who sold them under the U9 designation these being :-

Short action ... .222 Rem, .223 Win and .222 Win Mag

Medium action ..  .243 Win, .22-250, 6mm Rem, .257 Roberts, 7mm Mauser and .308 Win.

Long action .... .284 cartridge.

Long action ..... .270 win and .30 Springfield.

special long action for the Magnums like 7mm Rem Mag, .300 Win Mag, .458 in Mag and the .254 win mag (funny it does not mention the .375 H&H :eek: )

The U9 was later redesigned slightly and produced as the CF2 by BSA ;) .

Mauser also produced three action lengths, a short or Kurtz for the 8.15mm target round and the .22 Hi-Power the std for the normal Mauser 57mm cases and of course the magnums. They also made a special intermediate action with special slanted magazine for the .303 British :p . Sorry but I am not familar enough with American makers to comment on their practices :o .

I doubt that an industry which is so egotisical will ever standardise this matter!

Go Get them Floyd!

Tags: