More Moose.......

Started by Vermonster, October 04, 2006, 06:44:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vermonster

Sorry, but I just like to post these.  Wish I was up where I could see stuff like this every day.  Not too many running around here in southern California.....  My uncle delivers truck parts, so he's on the road alot.  Sees alot of stuff.  This happeed to be down the road from the house.  

Sean
P.S..... If anyone is sick of the random moose shots, let me know...... ;)

His Note:
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I saw this bull along the field and turned around and came back and he was
determined to cross the road. Cars stopped and a lady got out to flag traffic
down as I took pictures. This was on Buckley hill in Mars Hill.
Have a great day
David

----------------------------------------------------------------------

buckshot roberts

:D Not me them's the only time I'll get to see any is here, O'l Kentuck don't have any in the wild, keep'm coming, put some cross-hairs on some;) Ron
We got too complicated......It\'s all way over rated....I like the old and out dated way of life........I miss back when..

Daryl (deceased)

Great pic's Sean!  Thanks for sharing them.

Daryl
A government that abrogates any of the Bill of Rights, with or without majoritarian approval, forever acts illegitimately, becomes tyrannical, and loses the moral right to govern-Jeffrey Snyder

RIP Linden33

Hiker

nrthrn_maine_hunter

I live not too far from where these photos were taken and get to see my share of moose, but I'll never get tired of seein them in real life or in photos.  Enjoyin them very much.  
Keep them comin!
God is love!
Justin
Some things are real whether you believe in them or not!

BigHunter200076

Quote from: nrthrn_maine_hunter;50664I live not too far from where these photos were taken and get to see my share of moose, but I'll never get tired of seein them in real life or in photos. Enjoyin them very much.
Keep them comin!
God is love!
Justin

Hey so I guess you hunt moose I wish I could go on a hunt with you. I bet its awesome.

nrthrn_maine_hunter

BigHunter,
I have been on one moose hunt in my life. It was in 2003 and my father was the one with the permit and I was the subpermitee. This was his 22nd year applying for a permit (DAve has a great explination of the moose permit/hunt on the thread, "Maine moose hunt")

THis particular hant was very exciting, we were in the zone that our house was located in, and we see moose almost every day just while walking the dog, so we were not too worried and were gonna be a little picky on the first couple days.
We were just riding the ATV's around the fields in the morning and didn't see anything. Took a lunch break and a little rest (riding those 4-wheelers is hard work:))then went back out for that magic time 2 hours before dark. We decided to stand on the edge of a field that was all clover, made a bull call and after the second call, we heard a bull call back and crashing through the trees not far at all. My dad got himself ready on the shooting sticks with his .308 Win. The bull came into the field about 40yds away, turned back to the woods and began to thrash the trees. My dad let him have it behind the shoulder and the bull turned and ran----right at us:eek:. He had come out looking for a fight, and was running at the noise I believe. My father had the reaction to shoot as he was running at us and hit him directly in the chest, which turned him, which was good as I was between the moose and my dad with nothing but a video camera. (did not bring my gun because I knew my dad would have me shoot and I wanted to let him have this one on his own.....was a long time coming for him, did not get it on camera either cuz it came out so close that I had to stay ducked down so it would not see me) When the moose turned from the shot, he was within 10 feet of me, not yds but feet:eek: . My dad fired again and hit about a foot behind the shoulder, which on a decent sized bull is still hitting plenty of lung--the moose was so close that I actually saw the bullet wound open and the blood fly out, will never forget that image, it was awesome.
Then what happened, I have never seen before, the moose stood up on its hind legs and fell over backwared-toward me again. When it hit the ground, I quickly turned the camera on (as quickly as I could with my hands shaking like a paint mixer) The moose was so close that I could not get the head and antlers into focus. The moose was taking its last breaths while I videod, which I got on tape, so it wasnt a total loss. If I had taken 1 fairly large step, I could have stepped on the head.
My father and I looked at each other, but what was there to say at this point!

757 lbs
34.5" spread
1 amazing experience!

Brithunter

Hi All,

Errrrrr I think my reaction might have been "Holy Smoke" with possibly some stronger words thrown in :p  700lbs of Bull Moose looking for a scrap Hmmmmm if ever I get to go hunting Moose or Elk methinks I am going to be taking something a little heavier than .308 ;) .

At those ranges the .458 Win Mag sounds not such a bad idea :p  although it's might heavy to carry as it weighs around 10lbs. The 9.3x57mm sounds a better propersition :D ..

I suppose the ebst thing about the Bull running towards you is that it's not so far to carry the meat :D.
Go Get them Floyd!

nrthrn_maine_hunter

yeah,
I had my 300RUM at the time, but did not bring it because I knew if I did I would want to shoot, in hind sight, I kinda wish I would have. My father has some love affair with the 308, not really sure why, but bought him a 300WSM for x-mas last year and now he uses and is very impressed.
Now I have my 30-378 and am waiting for a draw.
As for dragging him out, what we did was pull him to the dirt road with my four wheeler, got the truck out there with the snowmobile trailer on it. Took the trailer off, backed my 4-wheeler into the truck, hooked the trailer back up to the truck, backed the trailer up to the moose, hooked the winch from the 4-wheeler to the moos' rack, and turned on the winch, the moose slid right onto the trailer, worked great!
Wish I had some pics for u guys, but did not have a digital at the time.
God is Love!
Justin

Brithunter

Oh well we have the story even if not photos. Thank you for telling the story.
Go Get them Floyd!

davidlt89

Brithunter,
  That 757lbs is dressed weight, can add another couple hundred for guts.
Romans 12:2

2 Don't copy the behavior and customs of this world, but let God transform you into a new person by changing the way you think. Then you will learn to know God's will for you, which is good and pleasing and perfect.

Brithunter

Hi David,

Yep that's a big beastie for sure. I am not sure that I would know where to start on gutting an animal that size. After all you cannot just roll it over to get it just as you want! Not without some help or a crane :LOL
Go Get them Floyd!

nrthrn_maine_hunter

What we did was tie a hind leg to my 4-wheeler and one to my fathers and drive in reverse a few feet in opposite directions to have it on its back and spread open to have an easier time of it.  Wasnt too bad actually, once you get started.
God is Love!
Justin

davidlt89

Brithunter,
   I have gutted 3, the biggest dressed out at 552. I literally had to "climb inside" to cut the guts out. they tag some every year that dress out over 1000lbs, I can't imagine that. You definately need at least two other guys.
Romans 12:2

2 Don't copy the behavior and customs of this world, but let God transform you into a new person by changing the way you think. Then you will learn to know God's will for you, which is good and pleasing and perfect.

Brithunter

Hi All,

Yes I can see using a vehicle assuming that you can get one close enough. However kowing my poor luck my beast would be miles from any track/road and most likely down in a hollow just big enough to hold the beast snugly making moving it nigh on impossible :rolleyes:  Time to make a big camp fire and start eating  :D :LOL
Go Get them Floyd!

Tags: