Is a fenced in hunt still a hunt?

Started by teddy12b, August 29, 2006, 09:04:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

teddy12b

I read a little on this topic in another thread and wanted to ask this question.  I have seen advertisements where there's a fenced in hunt and the hopeless animal has a tag in it's ear.  I've also seen fenced hunts where you could walk all day and not see anything.

At what point/amount of acres is a fenced hunt still a hunt?

If there was a 10,000 acre fenced area I would still consider that a hunt because it's huge, but some little 100 acres fenced in sounds like more of a shoot to me.  

I'll be honest, I've considered fenced hunts, but I've never taken one probably because I haven't found one that was still a hunt.  

I'm just curious about what you guys think.

Hunterbug

I guess tha tit would depend on the size of the area and how the animals are treated. If they are treated like livestock and fed regularly and have no fear of humans then I don't care how big the area is. But if it's say 10,000 acres and they only eat what grows naturaly and are as afraid of people as normal wild animals then I guess that it's a hunt.
Ask not what your government can do for you. Ask how your government can go away and get out of your life.

The unarmed man is is not only defenseless, he is also contemptible.
Niccolo Machiavelli

grayghost

Most any ranch, farm or "game preserve" has fences. From several acres to 10's of thousands of acres. Some ranches also have livestock, so their interests lie with keeping their domestic stock contained. These will be the normal height fences, say 4 feet. Some known more as game ranches, may have to contain larger, or expensive exotic animals, thus their fences may reach 8 to 10 feet high. In South Africa, where most land is private, you'll see this. Many ranches will have livestock with 4 foot fences and most of the game can come and go on surronding ranches. However, if they contain Rhino or Cape Buffalo, you'll see high electrical fences. You can't afford to have dangerous game getting loose, aside from the cost factor, there is liability if someone is killed or injured by an escaped dangerous game animal. These private ranches can attain thousands of acres, so it's likely you may hunt for days before finding certain game. They tend to be very alert and some are extremely shy during daylight hours. In the US, small shooting preserves may contain game that has no where to hide. Those are the places that are slowly but surely disappearing. Most reputable hunting ranchers understand that game needs good cover and terrain to retreat to in order to maintain any type of fair hunt. Boone & Crockett for example, will not honor any game animal that wasn't taken under fair chase hunting. This includes fencing that would prohibit an animal from coming and going at its own desire. Most any Deer can jump a livestock fence. High fence prohibits this and therefore would be disqualified from entering the B&C record book. Many times you must make your own mind up as to what qualifies for fair chase. If it doesn't feel like a fair chase to you, go another route. Most of we hunters like to hunt. We are not shooters. We tend to enjoy the chase as much as the kill. I've been on many unsuccessful hunts in terms of taking an animal. But the thrill of hunting was enormous. It makes the experience of getting a bull Elk, African Kudu or Mallard duck all the more gratifying. I think if we got our Deer everytime we went into the woods, the immense enjoyment would fade, and it would just become killing. If you have doubts about a certain hunt, ask as many people that have been there, or your hunting buddies. You'll have to make the final judgement call yourself, because in the end, the hunter hunts himself. Good hunting, grayghost
In the end....the Hunter hunts himself

klallen

We just booked a hunt to take place next spring for exotics and the following August at the same place hunting elk.  It's a 550 acre ranch.  High fences.  Heavy timber; open meadows.  We're the first hunt of the season in August.  I'm interested in the fair-chase aspect but I do see value in knowing there'll be opportunity, as well.  From all the talk, the owner of the place builds it up as a legit hunt.  As legit as possible, anyway.  He said many times hunters have gone home empty handed or settling on much smaller animals then originally intended cause the big elk just hole up.  I don't know.  Never been there.  We're using the spring hunt to get a feel for what we will be seeing come August.  I have a place I've been putting in for up here in MT with the limited-draw, lottery thing.  Been going on 5 years now.  With the draw percentages, I could realistically put in my entire life and never draw (don't have much faith in the points system).  If a ranch is put together well, with efforts by the owner to keep things as real as possible, I'm all for it.  In general, I look at ranch hunts as a way to enjoy some wonderful experiences I'd otherwise never get to experience (until lady luck smiles my direction, that is).  later.  >>  klallen

teddy12b

A fenced in 550 acre ranch would still be considered a hunt as far as I'm concerned.  That's a lot of property for animals to hide in.

fishdog55

I have never been able to get comfortable with the idea.  Over the last year or two I have been learning more than I want to know about it.  There are a LOT of whitetail "ranchers" around the country, raising large racks, for the "paying sportsman".  They actively trade stock among themselves.
Several of the dog breeders raised dogs to meet standards, and have raised havoc with some breeds (chronic hip or skeletal disease, high strung, etc.).
Now we are seeing the spread of Chronic Wasting disease in whitetails around the country.  
There are issues beyond the ethical ones to consider.

RANGER RICK

Quote from: klallenWe just booked a hunt to take place next spring for exotics and the following August at the same place hunting elk. It's a 550 acre ranch. High fences. Heavy timber; open meadows. We're the first hunt of the season in August. I'm interested in the fair-chase aspect but I do see value in knowing there'll be opportunity, as well. From all the talk, the owner of the place builds it up as a legit hunt. As legit as possible, anyway. He said many times hunters have gone home empty handed or settling on much smaller animals then originally intended cause the big elk just hole up. I don't know. Never been there. We're using the spring hunt to get a feel for what we will be seeing come August. I have a place I've been putting in for up here in MT with the limited-draw, lottery thing. Been going on 5 years now. With the draw percentages, I could realistically put in my entire life and never draw (don't have much faith in the points system). If a ranch is put together well, with efforts by the owner to keep things as real as possible, I'm all for it. In general, I look at ranch hunts as a way to enjoy some wonderful experiences I'd otherwise never get to experience (until lady luck smiles my direction, that is). later. >> klallen

Enjoy your hunt fenced or not . It is your money and your choice .
Life is to dog gone short to worry if a hunt is canned or not .
If I lived in the lower 48 I would be doing me some exotic hunts my self .
Alaska is exotic enough for me although there is a huge buffalo ranch on Kodiak Island .
I have checked into it and it would be cheaper to fly to the lower 48 bag one and fly it back here than to bag one on the Island !!!!

RR
PRACTICE DOES NOT MAKE PERFECT !!! PERFECT PRACTICE MAKES PERFECT !!!!!! :eek:
Home of the 500 MAGNUM TYRANNOSAURUS THUMPER\'S....

Ed B.

I am not at all against a canned "hunt".  No matter how small the acerage.  The beef we buy in the store has no chance for survival either.  I just don't like when people brag about their kill.  And how hard it was to get your game cause it wouldn't give you a good shot while it stood at the feeder.  Especially when it's a guided hunt.  I have thought about hunting Russian Boar on a ranch.  Just can't seem to drop the money on it.

Ed

Jay Edward (deceased)

"Is a fenced in hunt still a hunt?"

Sure... when the gophers get in the garden.  

I've hunted antelope that were in fenced acreage but they could clear the fences easily and did so regularly.  'Cornering' the game is my problem... not the barbed wire manufacturers.

Tags: