Gas Prices ?!?!!

Started by rockinbbar, June 22, 2006, 01:54:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rockinbbar

Back a couple of years ago, when I got my Dodge 4dr 2500 4x4, gas was a LOT cheaper!
Anyway, it has the big V-10 engine under the hood.....I get about 10 MPG or so out of it as I use it here in the moutains on the rough roads. It does a little better on the highway. About 14.5 there.
I was filling up every other day, about $65-$70 each time.

WELL, it got old....;)

I was looking for a smaller used truck that I can drive when the big truck, & the 4x4 wasn't needed. The smaller trucks, especially the used ones are really bringing a premium now. :(

I stopped to look at the new Dodge Dakotas. The one I was looking at was tan metallic in color, 4.7 V-8, automatic, really loaded up....MSRP sticker of over $26K....But, hold the phone....It was a 2005 model!
What? NEW 2005 model, with the anti-spin rear end. I could see a big doscount coming....2 hours later I was driving it home. Got them to $19K! 7 yr-70,000 mile warranty too.
So far I get 21.5 MPG out of it in the same type driving! Not bad.....I can make the payment on what I save by not driving the big truck everyday.
Cool!

Here's a photo.....mine is Tan Metallic, not RED, but you get the idea....;)

Have any of ya'll had to cut back on gas use, due to prices?

Barry
Remind yourself often to SEE not just "look".

rockinbbar

BTW,

Skip, you'd be proud of me! It looks like a dodge lot around here....
1) Dodge Cummins 2500 4x4 SLT Crew Cab

2) Dodge 2500 4x4 Crew Cab

3) Dodge Dakota SLT Club Cab

;) :D

RatherBHuntin

Of course I like it.  I almost wish I had the newer smaller V-8 you have...but I'll take the bigger 360 along with the higher torque and lower gas mileage.  I would like to get better mpg but I am not changing my habits much because of i't.  It's going to pinch abit during hunting season, so maybe I will make up for it by riding to work with someone.  What do you think of thesharper angles and  slight body change the '05s?  You don't have a hard time squeezing in do you?
Glenn

"Politics is supposed to be the world\'s second oldest profession.  I have come to realize that it bears a very close resemblance to the first."
Ronald Reagan

rockinbbar

It's got plenty of room, Glen. Lots more than the Rangers I was looking at.
I'm thrilled with the 4.7...If I need torque, I'll just go get my V-10...:D

I'm really liking the new lines of the Dakota as well. I'm gonna have to figure out how to put a deer gaurd on it though....Since I weld my own now, it ought to be stout, if not ugly. ;)

RatherBHuntin

Yep, the Dodges have more interior room in their classes than the others I think, whether it's the baby or full size trucks.  Buddy of mine at work just got a duelie and MegaCab.  Talk about leg room.
Glenn

"Politics is supposed to be the world\'s second oldest profession.  I have come to realize that it bears a very close resemblance to the first."
Ronald Reagan

wharf

I have a nissan patrol.Its got a 4.2 litre diesel.The tank is a big one at 160 litre
Our fuel pices are at $1.50 a litre for diesel.Before christmas it was closer to $1.28 a litre.Now i dont know the conversions from our dollars and yours,or how the litre stacks up against your gallons.But It ****** me right of when it costs over $200 to fill my truck.

Hunterbug

It's .26 liters to the gallon and 1 Australian dollar is roughly .73 American dollars. So you are paying 4 American dollars a gallon give or take. I guess I won't complain about spending about 40 bucks to fill my 4Runner. What kind of milage do you get?
Ask not what your government can do for you. Ask how your government can go away and get out of your life.

The unarmed man is is not only defenseless, he is also contemptible.
Niccolo Machiavelli

wharf

On a good highway run I can get 1200 kilometres out of a full tank which is good.Around town around 950kilometres,less in summer with the AC running.It used to cost $160 dollars to fill it,then near christmas it was closer to $180 now over $200.Your four runner would cost around $60 to $80 to fill here depending on being diesel or petrol.Petrol is up to $1.40 a litre.Which is ********.Diesel used to be 20cents cheaper,now its more than petrol.LP gas is now at 50 to 60 cents a litre too.

Daryl (deceased)

Hey 'bug,

I think you meant to type 2.6 liters to a gallon?

;)

Daryl
A government that abrogates any of the Bill of Rights, with or without majoritarian approval, forever acts illegitimately, becomes tyrannical, and loses the moral right to govern-Jeffrey Snyder

RIP Linden33

Hunterbug

Quote from: DarylHey 'bug,

I think you meant to type 2.6 liters to a gallon?

;)

Daryl

I just did a liter to gallon conversion and this came up and it said .26 but it could be wrong in which case I would be wrong.
http://www.paulnoll.com/Oregon/Canning/number-liters.html
Ask not what your government can do for you. Ask how your government can go away and get out of your life.

The unarmed man is is not only defenseless, he is also contemptible.
Niccolo Machiavelli

Brithunter

Well there is 4.54 liters to 1 imperial Gallon, here in the UK it's £0.989 per liter for Diesel and £0.969 for Unleaded petrol so petrol costs £4.399 per gallon or $7:918US per imperial gallon!
Go Get them Floyd!

bigblock455skylarkcustom

Should have just bought a 06 chevy 2500 or 3500 with the 6.6 turbo diesel and get 24mpg. I was compairing toyota trucks and suvs VS chevy and chevy beats toyotas gas milage hands down. The 4runner gets 18mpg!

LLANOJOHN (deceased)

I have become a big Dodge fan........'95 Dodge, LWB, 2500 series, Cummins TurboDiesel........Highway holding it to about 65mph........I get 20-22 mpg.  It is also a 5-speed standard.

Fuel prices as of last Thursday..07-13 for diesel...$2.85 to $2.91 depending whether I was in Fredericksburg,TX (2.85) or Llano,TX(2.91).  Being on SS, I go to town as little as possible...use about 10-12 gallons every two weeks.

Ol' John
Life Member-NRA-TSRA
Riflesmith-Bolt & Lever Centerfires Only
Left-Hand Creek Rifles
Mark Twain was right-"There is no such thing as too much good whiskey!"
My best advice.."Best to stay outta trees and offa windmills!"

Brithunter

Well despite the original plan when I got the Jeep :confused: it's been used as the main vehicle and we have done just under 3,000 miles in it so far :eek: . However last week whilst traveling down south and picking up the old Triumph Dolomite I checked the consumption. On the way down taking it easy at a stady 56mph even after getting stuck is a 20 mile traffic jam around Heathrow Airport :( :eek: it returned 26mpg.

Coming back towing a car trailer with the Triumph on it and loaded with the contents of the garage she gave 21.6 mpg returning south again to return the trailer we got 24 mpg and coming back about the same as she was loaded up with a couple hundred weight of lead and spare wheels etc :rolleyes: .

Today I got the 2 new tyres fitted on the rear and had the near news for the rear swapped to the front, in a few weeks I will get another pair of new ones to match the rears. The tyres are General Ameri*GS60 in 225/75x15 and I chose to go for std ratio tyres as they will hopefully help with the fuel consumption slightly and that size is a bit cheaper than the 225/70x15's it was fitted with. The Goodyear Eagles are darned expensive here  $154:80 US each :eek: fitted As is everything else :rolleyes:  I might add. I checked the price of the Generals in the US and they are a good price but here even though these were the best I could get they cost over twice the price that they do in the US:o :frown . The two tyres fitted and balanced cost $174:56US which is why I could only go for the two of them for now.

The size difference will not be a problem as the fronts were worn down to the wear marks and the rears nearly new so the size difference is still about the same for now and as I don't need the 4WD just now staying in 2WD should not cause problems ;) .
Go Get them Floyd!

M1Garand

You did good RBB, I've always liked those Dakotas....I've limited some of my driving that's for sure.  I drive a Tahoe and last time I filled up was $66 and with a quarter tank, $60.   When I get 15/gal, I can't do a lot of driving and keep filling up.

Tags: