Loading a round ball in a 40-65 BPRC

Started by Smokepole, March 23, 2006, 05:51:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Smokepole

I have applied for the elk hunting permit in Montana for this fall. If selected, I was planning to use my Sharps 40-65 BPCR for this hunt. Then I did something dangerous, I started thinking, could a round ball be loaded in the case for shooting small game? I know that pistol cartridges have been loaded that way but what about the rifle case.

Could a longer cartridge case say like a 45-90 or 45-120 be necked down to 40 cal and the ball inserted so there isn't such a large jump to the barrel?

I was considering loading such that my POI at say 10-15 yds would be the same as my elk load at 125 yds. This way I could swap out the load during the hunt and have fresh meat for dinner.

Just a thought. Anybody have any information or knowledge for helping a bird shooter.

Sincerely
Smokepole

Jay Edward (deceased)

We used to do it at the range for fire lapping all the time Smokepole.  Took the correct diameter ball, smeared a little lube + 800 grit and let fly.

But your .40-65 is in the .403 to .406 area?  I don't recall seeing a roundball mold of that diameter.

Smokepole

Jay,
My lands are ~.400 and grooves ~.408 per manufactureres specs.  I have order some cerrosafe chamber casting alloy from Midway in order to verify this information.

Track of the Wolf has .400 and .410 dia balls.  I will do further research on ball availability.

Did you use the standard 40-65 cartridge case or something longer for fire lapping?

Thanks for the fast reply.

Sincerely
Smokepole

Jay Edward (deceased)

Quote from: SmokepoleTrack of the Wolf has .400 and .410 dia balls.  I will do further research on ball availability.

Did you use the standard 40-65 cartridge case or something longer for fire lapping?

Huh... the printed catalog from Track doesn't show those diameters.  I must really be falling behind.  I should probably be going automatically to the website instead.

However... .410 will work but cast them hard.  Make sure you don't get any lube in the chamber since it will not compress and just might be a problem with full power loads.

We used all types of cases for fire lapping including the double rifle cases I was fooling around with at the time.

[/size]

Tags: