Savage bolt-action 17 cal. centerfire

Started by bowhunter 51, February 27, 2006, 06:01:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bowhunter 51

Shot my friend's Savage 17 caliber yesterday.....looks like it might make a
great little varmint rifle....9X scope......What do ya think about it for coyote?
**********God Bless America**********
>>>>-----------Live to Hunt--------------->>
>>>>-----There is no off season--------->>

gitano

Which CF .17 is it. If it's the .17 Remington (a necked-down .223 essentially), you'll find both Daryl and I pretty high on it's use as a "coyote gun". I've been shooting one for about 25 years, and it's never let me down.

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

bowhunter 51

Yea, it's a .17 Rem.....I thought it might be good for coyote...It's about the only

varmint that we have in abundance, here...I'm thinking about tradeing for it......

Gmoney

Long as it's not the HMR you are good.....
-Greg

Personal field testing trumps everything no matter what Field and Stream says, what your degree of perceived manhood is, or what your buddies think.

Daryl (deceased)

Bowhunter51,

Like Paul said above, he and I are pretty fond of this cartridge.  It works really well on coyote and bobcat sized critters, with virtually no hide damage.

Do you handload?  If so try RL-15.  Several folks I know get really good accuracy with this powder and Berger match bullets.  Remington primers are pretty much a standard for many folks who shoot this cartridge.  Some primers with softer metal have caused some problems for a few I know.

Daryl
A government that abrogates any of the Bill of Rights, with or without majoritarian approval, forever acts illegitimately, becomes tyrannical, and loses the moral right to govern-Jeffrey Snyder

RIP Linden33

bowhunter 51

Naw!....don't handload....Might if I trade.......I'm sure I'll need you guys to help
me on that issue, should it develop.....What's the story on the HMR?..Gmoney..
I'm not knowledgable of that!.............

Daryl (deceased)

The HMR is a .22 mag necked down to .17 cal.  It's a neat little cartridge for SMALL game, but it's not suited very well for larger critters like coyotes and such.

Gmoney has (had?) one, and doesn't even recommend it for coons.  I tend to (strongly) agree.  The .17 Rem is a much better cartridge for bigger critters.

Daryl
A government that abrogates any of the Bill of Rights, with or without majoritarian approval, forever acts illegitimately, becomes tyrannical, and loses the moral right to govern-Jeffrey Snyder

RIP Linden33

Gmoney

Bowhunter,
 I had bad results with an HMR...this occurred over a period of time and I believe I am qualified to say that I don't recommend it and condone it's use for anything larger than a coon...but this has been beat to death and some find it very useful for what they want and that is great.  I just had way, WAY too many run-offs with vital shots to keep it short and simple....

Is this .17 centerfire fitted with an accu-trigger and if so how do you like it?
-Greg

Personal field testing trumps everything no matter what Field and Stream says, what your degree of perceived manhood is, or what your buddies think.

rockinbbar

I've never heard of nor seen a Savage bolt gun in .17 remington either...
I thought until they chambered some models in .204 Ruger, the smallest calliber they made to standard bolt gun in was .223.

I think the have a M40 in .22 hornet, but that's another animal altogether.

Perhaps I just missed the year they were produced...??

Rockin'
Remind yourself often to SEE not just "look".

bowhunter 51

This particular rifle looks brand-new ta me, rockinbar....As far anything unusual
about the trigger assembly, "G", I didn't detect anything that would indicate
having been fitted...Not quite up on what accu-trigger is?..Now as far as the
HMR thing, wouldn't that be rimfire ammo? I've seen those....This isn't one of
them.........I could tell this rifle wasn't top of the line stuff but it grouped well
as long as the wind wasn't blowing......

Daryl (deceased)

The HMR is indeed a rimfire.

The .17 Remington has a case that's about the size of a necked down .223.

Sounds like it ought to work fine for you.  Good luck with it!

Daryl

RIP Linden33

Gmoney

This is an accutrigger pictured below.....I think it comes standard on just about all Savage rifles made today....What model number if your 17CF?
-Greg

sav17

hey guys,

come on give the 17hmr a break,this post started off as a definate question about .17 centre fire,:D but it seems every chance you get you gotta knock the little fellah,just remember it is only a rimfire and if you accept it for what it is and recognise it,s limitations, in its class it does what is asked of it,if I hear some one say its no good for coyote once more I,m gonna scream:D we know its only a rabbit and squirrel gun but it does that job admirably,the .17 rem c/f is a totally different kettle a fish now thats a predator calibre.
I will continue to supprt the 17 hmr as a tool in its own right even if i am the only one that thinks so:D and no i,ve never tried to shoot a coyote with one coz we aint got coyotes in wales :D but its taken lots of rabbit and squirrel and the occasional red fox.
So come on fellahs give the 17hmr credit where its due

your friend .............................Richie
happiness is a critter in the crosshairs

bowhunter 51

Naw.............No trigger like that on this rifle.........But I have to admit, that is
interesting.......I suppose that's for squeez'n out any slack on your trigger for
a smoother cap-bustin'....................I'll have to get back with ya later on the
numbers - Gmoney - it's still my friend's rifle, ain't traded yet!......just think'n
bout it still..........

bowhunter 51

Un-oh!.........Well it turns out it IS a .223 Rem. and it does have the Accu-
trigger.........Man.........Sorry about that!.........Somehow got it in my head
it was 17 cal. and it stuck there...........getting old is no bed of roses, guys!

Tags: