First tree stand

Started by Antler3, August 29, 2005, 09:50:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Antler3

Just got my first tree stand. It's a 15 foot , buddy ladder stand. Have it up in the yard right now. Never been up in one, so will take some getting used to. I shot my target and got several good groups, think I'm gonna like it. I have a full body safety harness, they tell me, will give me more security. Right now I have been shooting my bow sitting down. I tried standing up on the platform and am still to swimmy headed ha ha LOL ! Guess I had better get into my harness :o ! Our season starts October 1st. I have the area figured out for setting it but haven't found the tree and got it up there. I'd say anytime now I better be getting it put up. Will shoot for next weekend.....In the meantime I'll slingem' at the target and get used to being up there LOL !! :D
ANTLER 3

m gardner

Congratulations Antler. The safety harness is a good idea and can be adjusted so that you can lean into it to steady yourself for better shooting, or at least mine can. If you get "swimmy" like you said put it up on a larger tree as the smaller ones rock back and forth in the wind. I had one favorite spot that had a tree 8 inches in diameter at chest level and that was it. I got 15 feet up it and the wind came and that thing would rock 2 feet it seemed . Made you seasick after awhile! God bless and good hunting.

Mark

RatherBHuntin

My first year in a tree as well Antler 3, I hope we have lots of good stories to share later on in the year.  Bow season starts Sept 10th here.  I hope I can get some quality time out there, and wish I had someplace to hunt a little closer to home, the 45-60 minute drive isn't going to help things.  I'm still looking to get that first deer with my bow too.
Glenn

"Politics is supposed to be the world\'s second oldest profession.  I have come to realize that it bears a very close resemblance to the first."
Ronald Reagan

Antler3

Well , I guess today is when we're gonna try and get the tree stand put up. I'm thinking it's going to be quite a chore as the place I want to put it is in some pretty rough country. We have two four wheelers, hopefully we can get them up there. Probably will take a bow saw and have to clear a path part way. Thank goodness for son-in-laws ! :D !
ANTLER 3

rockinbbar

Cool, A3!

Take a pic for us...;)
Remind yourself often to SEE not just "look".

buckshot roberts

Hey, congrats, On your tree stand, I don't bow hunt, But I just stoped in to ask about the ladder type tree stands, I have seen the ladder type ones wal-mart has, and was think'n about get one, I made one 3 years ago, with my brother-in-law, we used stuff I had lay'n around, But I was wont'n one I can
move on an atv, some info on the one you have.
http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b196/ron51/100_1639.jpg
http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b196/ron51/r7.jpg
http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b196/ron51/r5.jpg
http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b196/ron51/r6.jpg
http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b196/ron51/100_1638.jpg
We got too complicated......It\'s all way over rated....I like the old and out dated way of life........I miss back when..

Antler3

Cool ! That will work just fine. We just put the main stand together and strapped it on the atv. It has three sections of ladder that just slips together. Stacked them up and strapped them on. It all fit very neatly on the back rack of the atv. I haven't looked at what Wal-Mart has but am sure it is similiar. I got mine from Big Daddy's Outdoors over in Bridgeport, Alabama. We got mine put up today, wasn't as hard as I had imagined.
ANTLER 3

buckshot roberts

:) Yep, post a pic, I have a B-day comin up in oct, My wife may just get me one;)
We got too complicated......It\'s all way over rated....I like the old and out dated way of life........I miss back when..

Arkie55

Man I've been hunting out of tree stands for over 20 years.  I have ladder type stands, hanging stands, and climbing stands.  My favorite climbing stand is the Tree Lounge.  I understand what you guys are saying about "rocking" in the wind.  About 4 years ago I had my Tree Lounge hanging on a red oak that was about 18" at the base but only about 8" up around 25'.  I got up in that stand before daylight and settled in.  For those that don't know, the Tree Lounge is a very comfortable and secure stand.  I seen a few deer that morning but nothing I wanted to shoot.  At 11:00 am I climbed down and drove to town for lunch.  I drove back to my hunting area and decided to hunt the same stand that afternoon.  I was up the same tree and about 25' up and the wind picked up!!!  Pretty gentle at first and a mild rocking motion.  Real relaxing.  Then the wind speed increased and the relaxing motion turned to a "concerned" motion.  While I was trying to decide if I wanted to get down, the speed increased some more and the "concerned" motion turned to a "panic" motion.  That tree was rocking so bad that I was scared to attempt to climb down.  All I could do was hang on and pray!!!!  After about an hour the wind calmed a little and I didn't waste any time getting down that tree.  I was so sick I didn't even hunt the rest of the afternoon.

12 gauge

Quote from: Antler3Just got my first tree stand. It's a 15 foot , buddy ladder stand. Have it up in the yard right now. Never been up in one, so will take some getting used to. I shot my target and got several good groups, think I'm gonna like it. I have a full body safety harness, they tell me, will give me more security. Right now I have been shooting my bow sitting down. I tried standing up on the platform and am still to swimmy headed ha ha LOL ! Guess I had better get into my harness :o ! Our season starts October 1st. I have the area figured out for setting it but haven't found the tree and got it up there. I'd say anytime now I better be getting it put up. Will shoot for next weekend.....In the meantime I'll slingem' at the target and get used to being up there LOL !! :D
Yes congrats antler3! Sounds to me like you are all ready for hunting season! My season starts the 1st as well. I already got my new broadheads (Spitfyre XP pro-series 100g 3 blade)

http://images.google.com/images?q=tbn:grbzgjTR3P8J:https://media5.magma.ca/www.canadiancamo.com/catalog/images/GAANAP60337.jpg

So hows the shooting been coming Antler? Sounds like you pretty much got it down! If you need any more tips or need anymore help, then email or pm me!

My tree stand is a 15 foot ladder stand as well, i used it last year. I've seen a nice 3 pointer around our house, i think i will try to take him out.

Well good luck with the hunting on saturday Antler3! I know you will be able to bag a nice buck!

Good luck for everyone else this season as well! :cool:
"I only hunt and fish on days that end in \'Y\'"- 12 gauge

Antler3

Well thankee 12 gauge, good to see you up and running again. Yep shooting been coming along good. getting pretty good groups now. I bought the inner lock 75 grain broadheads. 3 blade. They're close to muzzys but suppose to be the improved version. I needed the lighter weight 75 grains for my little 200 carbon arrows. I'm only pulling 45 pounds right now, so have to match everything up. Good luck to you this year, hope ya get a biggin' !
ANTLER 3

12 gauge

Quote from: Antler3Well thankee 12 gauge, good to see you up and running again. Yep shooting been coming along good. getting pretty good groups now. I bought the inner lock 75 grain broadheads. 3 blade. They're close to muzzys but suppose to be the improved version. I needed the lighter weight 75 grains for my little 200 carbon arrows. I'm only pulling 45 pounds right now, so have to match everything up. Good luck to you this year, hope ya get a biggin' !
Well thanks as well!

I am shooting only at 55 pounds now, bought a new version of Parker. I am shooting as usual 100 grain broadheads and fieldpoints. As far as shooting i am doing pretty good myself, grouping pretty good expecially at 30 yards, i don't pull off many shots at deer at 30, but it is good to practice at 30 that way you are more keen on concentration at 30 that when you shoot at 25- that it is easy.

I think either next year or maybe later on i will add on a 35 yard pin. I have a 15 and 25 yard pin right now, i think i will try a 35 yard pin next year, that way i can really be keen on concentration come next year. But like my dad says, "don't bite off more than you can chew" (well really i am sure everyone says that ;) )

But anyway, there isn't very many big bucks out here, my dad seen a 6 point that was a little larger than my 6 point, and i think they said they saw a 9 pointer, but our neighbor's brother shot at him last year, so there is no telling if he is dead or not...

Anyway, my focus here is either that 3 point or some does, we need to thin out some does, they are everywhere! :eek:

Well practice even during hunting season, like me i practice on days i don't hunt (sundays) and that keeps me in tune. Because it is not like everyday you are going to see a deer and be able to get a shot! so you need to keep yourself in check.

Well i wish everyone good luck this saturday or whenever yalls hunting season starts! I am already all warmed up for saturday! only 5 more days to go! :D

God bless! :cool:
"I only hunt and fish on days that end in \'Y\'"- 12 gauge

BuckBox Displays

Lone Wolf Treestands have always worked for me, and they're affordable.  You should look into it if you've got the chance.  Thanks for the post!

Tags: