Previous topic - Next topic

Lever Action verses Bolt Action

ever Action
9 (37.5%)
olt Action
15 (62.5%)

Total Members Voted: 16

buckshot roberts

Lever Action verses Bolt Action Since being a south paw, I favor the lever action. In my opinion the lever action is about 50% faster than the bolt action, in the number of aimed shots that can be gotten off. One of the drawbacks to the lever action is that you can't use hot reloads. At least that is my opinioln. Here is a photo of three of my latest lever action rifles. Tell me your opinion.
1. Winchester Model 86 2. Winchester Model 94-410 3. Savage Model 99R
http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b...51/103_0319.jpg
We got too complicated......It\'s all way over rated....I like the old and out dated way of life........I miss back when..

Gmoney

I voted for the "which do you prefer" instead of the "why".....I just feel the "which do you  prefer" action is just a better fit for me.....lol...:)...sorry could not resist.....:)...

I prefer the bolt action over the lever....nothing against the lever action there is just something that draws me to the cycling of a bolt....probably on average a bit more accurate than the lever and probably more readily available in more calibers as well as the newer ones.....those are some nice looking levers as well....
-Greg

Personal field testing trumps everything no matter what Field and Stream says, what your degree of perceived manhood is, or what your buddies think.

buckshot roberts

I had my wife helping me anbd she goofed up the poll.  It should have been 1. Lever Action 0r 2. Bolt Action.  Do you know how I can fix it?
We got too complicated......It\'s all way over rated....I like the old and out dated way of life........I miss back when..

Gmoney

I know what you meant and so will everyone else...:)......you will get good responses with your "meant to be question" I promise......
-Greg

Personal field testing trumps everything no matter what Field and Stream says, what your degree of perceived manhood is, or what your buddies think.

drinksgin (deceased)

Having been raised in a part of the country where the common rifle was a '92, '94 or '99, I was permanately imprinted for leveractions.
Don
ps. I have all three.
NRA life, TSRA life, SAF life, GOA, CCRKBA, DEF -CON

sav17

being a european type person all my rifles are bolt action but I do have a bit of an hankering to own a winchester mod 94;)
happiness is a critter in the crosshairs

Alboy

I am voting yhis way

Lever Action
Daisy youth
Daisy Red Ryder
Marlin Model 60 (I think) 22LR
Savage '99 in 303 Savage (Stolen in Florida)
Win 94

or

Bolts
Rem 223
Rem 3006
7.62x54 Russian (Traded for a bicycle)
Marlin in 22 LR

I have owned more levers than bolts. With a good smattering of the other actions and single shots.
Alboy
BLACKPOWDER WATERFOWLER
KATY TEXAS PRAIRIE

THIS TOO SHALL PASS

m gardner

I prefer the bolt action. But at least half the guns I've owned were levers. Being raised in the norhteast I used them alot.
The remington 700 in 270 win. is my favorite bolt gun. The marlin 336 in 35 rem. is my favorite levergun. God bless and good hunting.
                 Mark

ghostrider_tx

Howdy

I guess you would say I prefer bolts because most of my weapons have been bolt actions. I have had a couple lever gun .22's and I will be acquiring a Marlin Guide gun in 45-70 in the future. The in-line magazines which require the use of round nosed(ballistically challenged) bullets are one of the factors that limit what the guns are used for. Some of the new levers can handle some pretty hot ammo. Check out The products at Garrett Cartidges. If anyone thinks really "BIG GAME" is beyond the reach of lever guns---They should check out the following site:

http://www.garrettcartridges.com/lupoindex.asp                  Jack
The only difference between a rut and a grave is the depth.

Benefactor Life NRA member

warny

m gardner

The point that Ghostrider makes about ballitically challenged bullets being necessary for tube magazines is valid, but Remington solved this problem in their model 14 and 141 pumps. They had spiral grooves in the tube which kept the bullets from touching the primer ahead of it. Why no other company has incorporated this in a lever gun has always baffled me. You could then use pointed bullets witout any danger. God bless and good shooting.

Mark

Mauserfan in TX

I voted for the bolt action. I just use one more, However my favorite lever rifle is my '71 Winchester in .348.
8\'s is Great
Col Charles Askins

bowhunter 51

So did I,   M n'Tex....Though I really like the Winchester 94 model in
30-30....great little close range brush gun for here in the South...but,
I feel like lever actions are alittle rougher on bullets, maybe alittle
noisy in it's action and probably subject to jamb more readily in haste..
and, greater cartridge confinement within it's open breach..The opposite
ofcourse are the bolt action's advantage...I'll stick with bolt action...BH51...
**********God Bless America**********
>>>>-----------Live to Hunt--------------->>
>>>>-----There is no off season--------->>

Antler3

I voted lever because that's all I have ever used up until this year. I plan to get better with my browning a-bolt 270 though. For right now I can chamber a round faster with my model 94 , 30-30. Hard to get past that little gun.......;)
ANTLER 3

LvrLover

I never met a lever I didn't want to try out. They just have such history and personality that I don't feel in many bolt guns. They also seem to point better to me. Alot like a good shotgun - they seem to shoot where you look. That being said, if I was sitting on a field waiting for a long shot with a good rest, I think a bolt would be a more practical choice. Thats why I have the best of both worlds - a Savage 99c in .308 Win with a Burris 1.5x6 variable. No iron sights. 1.5x works for walkin', and 6x is plenty for sittin'.
"Live free or die: death is not the worst of evils." General John Stark

Tags: