Pat Garrett

Started by rockinbbar, October 21, 2004, 07:16:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rockinbbar

Many of you know that Pat Garrett became famous for his relentless pursuit of Billy the Kid, during & after the Lincoln County War. He is supposed to have killed Billy, (whose real name was William Antrim) with a shot in the dark at Pete Maxwell's ranch in New Mexico.
   Billy got up witha case of the munchies & went to Maxwell's kitchen & procured a butcher knife to slice some beef. Pat Garrett at that time entered the kitchen with his gun drawn. Being very dark inside the kitchen, Billy said "Quien Es?", Spanish for "who is there".....They were the last words Billy ever spoke. Pat Garrett, fired his pistol at the sound of the voice, thus ending the young life of the West's most famous gunman...

What you might not know is that after his tenure as Sheriff of Lincoln County, Pat Garrett was invited to Uvalde County Texas by the famous Vice President "Cactus Jack" Garner.
Garner procured Pat Garrett a seat on the Commissioners Court in Uvalde County. Garrett served as a county commissioner for about 12-15 years in the South Texas county.
He went Westward once again & was shot over a boundary dispute on his ranch, by a neighboring rancher.....

Now you know a tad more about the man that killed Billy the kid.

Rockinbbar
Remind yourself often to SEE not just "look".

Jay Edward (deceased)

Le Image:

quigleysharps4570

With that shot gun still in it's case, wonder how he'd fare facing a judge or jury today?

LLANOJOHN (deceased)

Quote from: rockinbbarWhat you might not know is that after his tenure as Sheriff of Lincoln County, Pat Garrett was invited to Uvalde County Texas by the famous Vice President "Cactus Jack" Garner.
Garner procured Pat Garrett a seat on the Commissioners Court in Uvalde County. Garrett served as a county commissioner for about 12-15 years in the South Texas county.
He went Westward once again & was shot over a boundary dispute on his ranch, by a neighboring rancher.....

Rockinbbar
WELL, I'LL BE DANGED!!!! I DID NOT KNOW THAT AND I AM A NATIVE BORN TEXAN AND LIVE 45 MILES EAST OF UVALDE!!!!!! rockinbbar, you and I need to get together and tell a few yarns, all true of course! One more reason to make that "coyote hunt" in February!
I was always impressed with "Cactus Jack" Vice President for 2 terms with Franklin D. Roosevelt, 1933 to 1941, always liked his commentary about the value of the Vice Presidentcy........." worthless as a bucket of spit!" He was indeed a character and a good ole "South Texas Country Boy".

Thanks for sharing that bit of knowledge with this "Ole Texas Feller". just goes to show you ain't never to oldt to larn a new thing or 2"..........

Muchas Gracias, Mi Amigo!!!

Ol' John
Life Member-NRA-TSRA
Riflesmith-Bolt & Lever Centerfires Only
Left-Hand Creek Rifles
Mark Twain was right-"There is no such thing as too much good whiskey!"
My best advice.."Best to stay outta trees and offa windmills!"

TRAYLOROO

[font="]Garrett was in Uvalde for the racetrack. Garrett was a breeder of fine horses.  His blind daughter Elizabeth who was in a private school for the blind in Austin. She became a competent musician and teacher of voice, piano, violin, and organ and was a composer. She composed the state song, "Oh Fair New Mexico." He visited her frequently until she graduated about 1902.  They traveled by train; in her senior years she traveled alone.

Looking for more info about Pat's life in Uvalde.  You have it?  :rolleyes:
[/font]

buckshot roberts

:D RBBr thanks , I like this stuff, He leased a tract of land to Wayne Brazel, and when he began to graze a heard of goats on the property, a personal feud and legal battle for the removel of the animals began, Jim (killer) miller and a carl adamson  appeard on the scene and offered to lease the land, Garret,Brazel, Adamson were riding together about four miles outside Las Cruces, When Garrett stopped his buggy to urinate, when Brazel shot him in the head and belly, So he said, in self-defense, but it was  assumed it was Miller. Thanks for the info on Pat,;)
We got too complicated......It\'s all way over rated....I like the old and out dated way of life........I miss back when..

TRAYLOROO

You are "right on."  

I live in Las Cruces.  Jarvis guided me to marker he placed on the supposed murder spot.  The spot was shown to him by Emitt Isaacs; he and his younger brother were hunting rabbits and hear the shots ... SHOTS that is. They did not go to the scene, lots of people shoot guns, had not idea at that moment it was such an historic event.

I have been to Pat's ranch, which is on the restricted White Sands Missile Range. I have organized several tours to retrace Pat's last day, from the ranch to the grave/s.

Because of my interest in the Garrett family (Jarvis, and his daughter applied to me for a job, etc), I have started a time-line for Pat. Also, being rather house bound but with Internet, I can enjoy such a project ... I squeeze a little time for a trip to the courthouse, or NMSU archives.

:rolleyes:

MightyMight

I've always been facinated by the old heros in the west.
And when my son was born I named him Chase Garrett for Pat Garrett.
Great story!!
I love the wild and wooly west.

TRAYLOROO

Searching for a good facial photo of Rhodes.  

Writing a short bio about Rhodes for NMSU re their residence hall, Rhodes Hall ... but ... no photo ...  Suggestions?????

Rhodes was a supporter of the Tularosa Gang ... and their opposition to Garrett. But, in later years he realized his mistake and published an article: In Defense of Pat Garrett.    

TRAYLOROO

Quote from: rockinbbarMany of you know that Pat Garrett became famous for his relentless pursuit of Billy the Kid, during & after the Lincoln County War. He is supposed to have killed Billy, (whose real name was William Antrim) with a shot in the dark at Pete Maxwell's ranch in New Mexico.
   Billy got up witha case of the munchies & went to Maxwell's kitchen & procured a butcher knife to slice some beef. Pat Garrett at that time entered the kitchen with his gun drawn. Being very dark inside the kitchen, Billy said "Quien Es?", Spanish for "who is there".....They were the last words Billy ever spoke. Pat Garrett, fired his pistol at the sound of the voice, thus ending the young life of the West's most famous gunman...

What you might not know is that after his tenure as Sheriff of Lincoln County, Pat Garrett was invited to Uvalde County Texas by the famous Vice President "Cactus Jack" Garner.

Rockinbbar
Say,  man. Aint  that  ..   some interestilng invalid history?  That version seems to be slanted ... clear off the page.

buckshot roberts

Trayloroo, "Invaild" lay the story on us, I can say Rockinbbar, was not try'n to miss lead anyone, or post an invaild story nomore than anyone here at THL, but I would like to read what ya have, Ron
We got too complicated......It\'s all way over rated....I like the old and out dated way of life........I miss back when..

TRAYLOROO

Can't find the Billy business that moved me to comment.  Where is it?

Tags: