First shots in 11 years

Started by gitano, July 01, 2005, 09:17:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gitano

As I mentioned in another thread, since having acquired the Ruger M77 in .338, I haven't shot my 7mmx300 Weatherby since 1994. In that same thread we were discussing bullet performance, bullet weight, and precision shooting relative to bullet weights. I commented that I expected to pick up the 7x300 and have it shoot 3-shot 'clover leafs' "all day long" with the 115 grain Speer HP. This last range session, I decided ot take the 7x300 and see what it and I could do. Attached are targets and graphs of what we did.

As you can see, it's not a 'clover-leaf', but all things considered, I'm plenty happy with these holes. The shot above and slightly to the left of the lower three is the first shot out of the bbl. I don't include those 'fouling' shots when considering a "group". For those that might suggest that I'm being 'selective', and that the "first shot" out of the barrel is still the first shot out of the bbl even in th ehunting field, I disagree. I do not go into the hunting field without firing a 'fouling shot'.

The three-shot group measures 0.57" wide, by 0.66" high, with a maximum spread of 0.84". I'm fine with that out of a rifle using handloads loaded at least 11 years ago and the rifle not shot for 11 years. Those bullets left the muzzle at an average speed of 3425 f/s. Not blazing in light of some of today's 'super magnum' claims, but it sure has killed a lot o' critters.

It was a real pleasure to pick up a rifle and load I 'honed' over 20 years ago, and shoot a group like that below. Especially after dealing with the vagaries and idiosycrasies of black powder, milsurps, and 100-year-old+ rifles. There was a real "Ahh" moment.

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

M1Garand

Not bad at all, how did you convert your groups to that computer graph thingy?

gitano

Have a look at this thread

http://thehunterslife.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2508&page=1&pp=10.

I'll send you a PM with further explanation if you're interested.

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

M1Garand

That'd be great, can you print these or store them on computer?  May be a good way to keep and organize groups while working up or testing loads.   Thanks.

Tags: