Mollys first tree.....and got bit

Started by Ed B., October 20, 2004, 06:12:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ed B.

I took Molly hunting this afternoon.  Things started off real good.  Molly can track a squirrel pretty good but don't like to bark treed.  Well, things worked perfectly today.  I seen Molly was working a track so I stood still to see if she'd finish it.  I looked to my side and happened to see a squirrel on the side of a tree only a couple feet off the ground.  A couple seconds later Molly seen it.  The squirrel bailed with Molly on it's butt.  She got ahold of it a couple times and finally it went up a tree.  She barked a few times and I was able to shoot it out to her.  Well it came out of the tree very much alive and on the run.  I unleashed Molly and she got on it pretty quick.  Or maybe it got on her.:confused:   That squirrel bit her lip and neck...but in the end the squirrel got the worst of it.  Molly didn't seem any worse for the wear and went on hunting.  We found three more squirrels but she wouldn't bark.  Back to square one I guess.
Ed

English

Ed, sounds like you had a good hunt.  Sometimes getting bit like that can help a dog.  Have you hunted her with other tree dogs?  Reason I ask is I was wondering if she barked treed when other dogs did it.

Mike
BAD RIVER FIEST

Ed B.

I hunted her with Doc once.  Doc got treed so I tied Molly back and she barked a bit.  The tree was empty so I didn't fore the gun.  She was by herself when we took the above mentioned squirrel.  I think she wouldn't bark anymore because she didn't want to hear the gun again.  I couldn't razz her to bark.  I left her alone to get her to bark and she just laid down.  She's gun shy bad, and ill with other dogs on a tree.  She's lucky she's a good house pet.  I'll probably hunt her with Doc more and tie her back so theres no fights at the tree.

Ed

drinksgin (deceased)

My grandpa had a 1/2 Newfoundland squirrel dog , while a pup, it got a squirrel semipermanately attached to it's nose , after that, if a squirrel hit the ground, Carlo would make a brave run at it, but if the squirrel made a move for his nose, Carlo would come running to us , whimpering like a puppy, a 75 lb dog cowed by a 1 1/2 lb squirrel.
Don
NRA life, TSRA life, SAF life, GOA, CCRKBA, DEF -CON

Tags: