Field Knife...Home Made Sheath

Started by Jay Edward (deceased), May 28, 2005, 07:25:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jay Edward (deceased)

Now folks, I sewed this myself.  (I know, I know, it looks it) I used rawhide for the sheath and artificial sinew (you can get through Track, Dixie or even Tandy, I believe).  

As you can see, I'm no great shakes at this but it does work.  My love painted the design and that kind of makes up for my 'handiwork'.  I guess my point is that you should 'just do it' and be hanged to the quality.  Why 100 years from now they'll say your work is collectable.:D

For materials you can hit 'yard sales' and 'used clothing stores'.  You'd be amazed at what you can find in the way of inexpensive cast off leather goods.  Hats, purses, old boots, etc.

The handle on this knife was finished and then covered with rawhide that was wet.  It was sewn in place and left to dry.  It shrunk down nicely and made a tight fit.

The knife blade was one of about a dozen I purchased from Track Of The Wolf.  It has 'Green River' imprinted on the blade and is an old design.  No matter how plain the blade looks, it works wonderfully in the game fields...it's timeless.

LeRoy

very nicely done, my friend!
I like the design...did you apply it yourself? or was it on an "old purse"?
does the blade keepa good edge?...hard to sharpen?

Looks good, LeRoy.

Jay Edward (deceased)

Quote from: LeRoy[/size]
I like the design...did you apply it yourself?
My love painted the design inspired by Thomas E. Mails' book.

or was it on an "old purse"?
The rawhide is from a deer I personally shot.  I prefer to gather my own material but I will make any port in a storm.

does the blade keepa good edge?...hard to sharpen?
These are Russel blades and are as good a factory product as is possible to get.  I like the thickness of it as it moves through the meat well.  It is my experience that most custom knives are too thick and, while sharp and sharp looking, are not as efficient.

The Native Americans prefered several types of knives and were most professional in their selection.  They had dags, bayonet style, scalpers, butcher and folding knives.

You want to make an authentic Fur Trade knife?  Get your hands on an old, well made, carbon steel butcher knife.  Use whatever organic materials come to hand and there ye be!  Wood covered with rawhide, antler, bone, leather, etc.

If you wish a knife that will not fail you...get a full blade instead of the blade with a tang.  Do not get a blade that is tempered to hard as it may break in the cold and it will be hard to sharpen.  I always have a couple of knives with me and I always have a couple of full blade hunting knives in the field.

LeRoy.
[/size]

Old files make fine knives when 'drawn' and hammered to a reasonable thickness.  If you do make such a conversion, be sure to leave some of the 'ridges'.  Adds to the story.

LeRoy

Jay...Please compliment "your love" on the fine painting job!
My I ask what type of paint she used?
Thanks, LeRoy.

Tags: