Range report

Started by drinksgin (deceased), April 05, 2005, 09:20:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

drinksgin (deceased)

I may have solved the accuracy problem with the .44-40 carbine, it has a tight chamber and oversized barrel, .429.I made a .428 sizer.
I got 3 " at 25 yd with factory .426 jacketed bullets, 1 1/2 to 2" at 25 yd with .427 cast.
The .428 is much better, 230gr swchp gc, 25gr H110, 1610 fps, 3 touching and 1, 1" high at 50 yds with original sights.

45-70, bullets sized .4595. 2.5x scope, handi rifle, 22" barrel.
210gr rhp gc, 13gr Herco, 1225fps, 2" at 50 yds,
25gr H110 , 1600fps, 2" at 50 yd
320gr rfn gc, 30gr IMR 4198, 1425fps, 1.5" at 50yd, 32.5gr, 1525fps, 1.5" at 50yd,
35gr , 1590fps, 1.7"
500gr 3R gc, 30gr IMR 4198, 1380fps, 1.5" at 50yd,
35gr IMR 4198, 1610fps, 1.5" at 50yd,
39gr H 4895, 1430fps, 1.8" at 50yd,
39GR H 4831,990FPS, 2" at 50 yd.
IMR 4064, 30gr, 1050fps, 2" at 50yd,
34gr, 1140fps, 1.7" at 50yd.
The little rifle is doing very well on accuracy, the 35gr of 4198 really lets you know it when it goes off in the 7 1/2lb rifle.
Don
NRA life, TSRA life, SAF life, GOA, CCRKBA, DEF -CON

Hunterbug

I'm glad that you may have figured out the problem. When do we get to see a picture?
Ask not what your government can do for you. Ask how your government can go away and get out of your life.

The unarmed man is is not only defenseless, he is also contemptible.
Niccolo Machiavelli

Jay Edward (deceased)

Yeah Don...all this talk is just talk.  How do we know you actually have a rifle chambered in .45-70?

Pictures, sworn testimony and notarization by a bank Notary...that should do it.
Butttttt...I reckon the info is valuable...even without the pictures.  Are you gonna be takin' that little rife out this year to introduce it to various critters?

drinksgin (deceased)

HB and Jay;
Believe it or not, I managed to attach not one but two scannings on posts on another forum 10 days ago, BUT, I have totally forgotten how I did it, I do not know if it is CRS disease or Old Timer's Disease, but I am afflicted.
I did start thinking, a bad habit I am trying to break, but I recrowned the battered old muzzle by the brass round head bolt and Clover valve laping compound method about 3 weeks ago, the muzzle was pretty rough, but then , it was made in 1910, went through a revolution/ civil war in Mexico, spent from 1916 to 1948 as a shotgun most of the year and went deer and Javalina hunting a couple months a year, with everyone in the large family using it when they didn't have another gun.
I got it in 1970,and have done some shooting with it, but only with factory stuff until the last 3 years.
With factory ammo, I was happy to be able to keep it on a paper plate at 100yd.
Things are looking better.
Jay, Paul held the Handi rifle, so there.
Don  ;D

quigleysharps4570

Quote from: drinksginHB and Jay;
Believe it or not, I managed to attach not one but two scannings on posts on another forum 10 days ago, BUT, I have totally forgotten how I did it, I do not know if it is CRS disease or Old Timer's Disease, but I am afflicted.Don ;D
Glad you got out to shoot. Real glad you got it posted before you forgot you went! :)

drinksgin (deceased)

Quig;
No real biggie, being of the mid 20th century persuasion, I rely on a 3 ring hard drive powered by a ball point pen.
May not remember where I put it, but it does not crash!
Don   ;D

gitano

Great results Don. I'll be headed to the range today to continue testing on my .45-70. I'll also be working on loads for HB's 8x57, and of course the next installment on John's .338 MAI. Got the 8x57s and the MAI "wired for pressure".

WRT the .45-70, I got Don's .4595" sizing die, and have sized up a bunch of newly cast bullets - 405s and 500s. I did not drop these into water, rather let them air-cool. This of course makes them significantly softer, and I am hoping that the combination of larger (.4595" vs. .457") and softer will improve accuracy (precision). Also, I loaded a bunch up with smokeless powder. Didn't really feel the need, but I figured I'd give it try. I'm a little leary of the 60 grain 4831 load behind a 500 grain Postell that Jay suggested. :eek: We'll see how it does.

Don, plenty of folks here that will give you a hand posting those pictures. Did I hold a .45-70 while at your place??? Just kidding... it didn't have a 'scope on it though. :D

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

drinksgin (deceased)

Paul;
You are getting in about as bad a shape as me, the .44-40 did not have a scope, the .45-70 has a 2.5x shotgun scope mounted far enough forward to let me reach the hammer without needing a hammer spur extension.
I should not mention this, but I also took the .243 with some new special loads out, 0gr of powder, first time I have done that!
Oh well
Don

gitano

Quote from: DrinksginPaul;
You are getting in about as bad a shape as me,
Here now! Let's not get carried away. :D

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

drinksgin (deceased)

Let's see if this works. .45-70 with 2.5x ier shotgun scope mounted foreward and a cartridge with a 500gr bullet. The $20 Walmart camera is really sorry.
:D
Don

drinksgin (deceased)

drinksgin (deceased)

drinksgin (deceased)

Try again, here is the sightin target when I put the 2.5x scope onthe .45-70, from the bottom, shots numbered 1 thru 5 are first, the last 5 are in the ragged hole.
50 yd with a good rest.
Don :D

Tags: