Elk 2021

Started by Hunterbug, October 11, 2021, 10:01:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hunterbug

My daughter Payton drew an either *** elk tag for the Bosque Del Oso SWA in Southern Colorado for this year. She drew a a youth with 5 points. As an adult, it takes 22 or more.  We have made three scouting trips so far. Her season doesn't start until November 13th. The bulls on this property leave to the neighboring ranches for the rut and then return for the winter scour timing is good. The Hill Ranch that borders the SWA charges $8000 to hunt elk. Then if you shoot one it's another $5000-8000 depending on the score. So she has a real opportunity for a big bull. Here are some that we saw or others that I've been talking to have seen.
Ask not what your government can do for you. Ask how your government can go away and get out of your life.

The unarmed man is is not only defenseless, he is also contemptible.
Niccolo Machiavelli

gitano

Both are nice, but the second one is a dandy! How many days does she get to hunt?

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

Hunterbug

Her season is 7 days and we are planning on the whole time. We met the game warden for the area on Saturday and got some info. He said they had one bull on the property that got shot on a neighboring ranch that scored 411. He also said that a lot of bulls will be busted up from the rut.
Ask not what your government can do for you. Ask how your government can go away and get out of your life.

Niccolo Machiavelli

Jamie.270

Wow, either one of those would be an elk of a lifetime for the state of Oregon.
Best of luck to Payton!
Slay 'em girl!
QuoteRestrictive gun laws that leave good people helpless, don\'t have the power to render bad people harmless.

To believe otherwise is folly. --  Me

gitano

Here's praying for good weather!

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

Hunterbug

Quote from: Jamie.270;156021Wow, either one of those would be an elk of a lifetime for the state of Oregon.
Best of luck to Payton!
Slay 'em girl!

Thanks. After going back and forth she has said that she wants to hunt with her 270. It's what she's comfortable with. So we worked up a load with 150gr Partitions at about 2900fps.

We're getting snow in the mountains now and hope for a few more storms in the next month.

Niccolo Machiavelli

Jamie.270

Quote from: Hunterbug;156024Thanks. After going back and forth she has said that she wants to hunt with her 270. It's what she's comfortable with. So we worked up a load with 150gr Partitions at about 2900fps.

We're getting snow in the mountains now and hope for a few more storms in the next month.
Good for her on the choice of rifles/cartridges!  (yes, I'm biased)

There's no substitute for confidence in your weapon when the bull of a lifetime is in your crosshairs.  The last thing anyone needs is doubts creeping in at the last minute.

A .270 loaded up with 150s @2900fps is a killer inside of 350-400 yds.  Trust me, I know that one well.  

If she does her part there'll be meat in the freezer and horns on the wall.

I killed my best bull in about 3' of snow, (with a 150gr .270 bullet) so it sounds like things are shaping up just fine!
QuoteRestrictive gun laws that leave good people helpless, don\'t have the power to render bad people harmless.

Hunterbug

I knew that you were slightly biased. :D After shooting her antelope last year at 315 yards a bull elk will be huge.

Niccolo Machiavelli

Jamie.270

That looks like a dead elk to me.
Best of luck, and may the snowstorms give y'all enough of a break to have a great hunt.

Looking forward to toasting her success!

gitano

You missed.��

My first rifle was a pre '64 .270 Win. I shot a few moose with that rifle and 150-grain bullets, and I didn't have to chase any of them. Sure hope you guys come across a big one!

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

Tags: