Lock Rings

Started by Hunterbug, February 12, 2017, 12:56:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hunterbug

I've picked up several sets of new reloading dies, it was time to get new lock rings for them.
Ask not what your government can do for you. Ask how your government can go away and get out of your life.

The unarmed man is is not only defenseless, he is also contemptible.
Niccolo Machiavelli

gitano

Those are the good ones.

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

Hunterbug

Quote from: gitanoThose are the good ones.

Paul

I agree. Whenever I get new dies I switch out the lock rings for the Hornady ones. I prefer Redding dies followed by RCBS. You'd think they would start using similar lock rings.
Ask not what your government can do for you. Ask how your government can go away and get out of your life.

Niccolo Machiavelli

farmboy

Hunterbug

Quote from: farmboyI like bonanza dies

I've never heard of them. Are they a small company?

Niccolo Machiavelli

farmboy

Sorry they got bought out or name changed.

sakorick

I own 100+ of them and each seem to have good points. I suppose I like the Pacific first as they are 100% made in USA and I don't care so much for the Hornadys as they seem harder to set up. The old Lyman and RCBS fall in the middle, however, RCBS changed their decap rod which does not work on the old and vice versa. Then there is Lee which I just love their crimp die and generally work just fine. That said I hate their round holders and have to use another shelf for them. I have never heard of Bonanza other than the TV series with Hoss.
Talk to yourself. There are times you need expert advice.

farmboy

I bought a runout guage and found that there was no runout on 223 loaded on bonanza (forester) benchrest dies very little when I used the hornaday seater dies and quite a bit with the rcbs dies. The sad part of that is most all of my dies are rcbs.

Hunterbug

Farmboy, they are pretty proud of those dies, aren't they?

Niccolo Machiavelli

gitano

I have half a dozen or so Bonanza dies. For whatever reason, (I think people cannibalized them), they seem to be missing lock-rings more than other used dies.

Honestly, I don't have a 'favorite' die-maker. My favorite is based on two points: 1) Do they make a die for the cartridge I am using, and 2) If more than one makes a die for that cartridge, whose is the least expensive.

It wasn't until recent years that I have actually run into dies that weren't "right". I'm fairly confident that I have close, but not quite, to a 100 sets of reloading dies. It is only the recently-manufactured ones that have ever given me any problems.

I like Lee's collet neck sizers, but I'd like to see them combine the collet idea for the neck with a full length resize. The FL should be minimal when coupled with collet neck sizing. The reason being, that cases that are only neck-resized - regardless of method - GROW in body dimension EVERY TIME they are shot. A LITTLE - minimal - resizing of the body along with the collet neck-resizing would be 'ideal' in my opinion.

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

gitano

Quote from: farmboy;147109I bought a runout guage and found that there was no runout on 223 loaded on bonanza (forester) benchrest dies very little when I used the hornaday seater dies and quite a bit with the rcbs dies. The sad part of that is most all of my dies are rcbs.

If there was one opinion that I would include in advice to a new reloader it would be:
Never, EVER, buy, borrow, or use a runout gauge for reloading.

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

farmboy

Quote from: Hunterbug;147110Farmboy, they are pretty proud of those dies, aren't they?

Oh yes I have never ponyed up to buy a new set. Rcbs benchrest dies are lots as well so are the Redding benchrest dies.

farmboy

Quote from: gitano;147112If there was one opinion that I would include in advice to a new reloader it would be:
Never, EVER, buy, borrow, or use a runout gauge for reloading.

Paul
I am not not sure how important it would be I have shot some real small groups with dies that show runout.

gitano

EGG-ZACKLY.

I think MAYBE if you are a competitive benchrest shooter it MIGHT be worthwhile to check the runout on your ammo. But there isn't anything in the mechanism of firing that strikes me as 'following' runout of reloaded cartridges. On the other hand, it can REALLY mess with your head.

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

Tags: