Very strange bird

Started by sakorick, July 27, 2016, 07:44:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sakorick

I told her not to build a nest over my front door....she did. I told her not to lay eggs in the nest....she did. Now I have lost control of my front door because of these!
Talk to yourself. There are times you need expert advice.

gitano

Could be worse thing....

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

j0e_bl0ggs (deceased)

Turvey Stalking
Learn from the Limeys or the Canucks, or the Aussies, or the Kiwis, or the...
                   "The ONLY reason to register a firearm is for future confiscation - How can it serve ANY other purpose?"

sakorick

I quit using the front door so they could get some sleep. Mom went out looking for food so I checked up on them......getting crowded in the nest.

Paul Hoskins

Been down that road myself, Rick. Nasty little fellers but at least they're not polecats under the front steps. Actually, I like the polecats better. At least they don't drop "stuff" all over the porch. ......Paul H

sakorick

Well, one of them just left the nest and is perched on a 1/2" sill. It won't be long now! I think they are House Sparrows.

Paul Hoskins

Rick, they look more like peewee's to me. I never saw a house sparrow nest that looked like that. They usually build inside. Peewee's like building on ledges & elbows of downspouts etc.  ......Paul H

sakorick

Could very well be! I think she tried to nest in the roof gutter initially, got washed out and relocated to the door!

Paul Hoskins

Adult peewee's are darker grey on the upper body & almost white underneath. Mess with their nest & they get pretty aggressive. Sparrows will leave in terror. .....Paul H

sakorick

Then they are Sparrows. The mother takes to flight the split second she sees me. She should be charged with child abuse.:grin:

Paul Hoskins

Rick, if they are house sparrows she should be charged with a load of 7 1/2's out of a 12 gauge.  .....Paul H

gitano

Those are not house sparrows. And I agree with Paul about their demise if they were. In fact, they should have been killed on sight.

A picture of the mother would help A LOT. Could be one of the three phoebes (Sayornis sp.) (I'm not familiar with an American bird called a *** wee.) Phoebes tend to use moss in their nests and nest on ledges. Phoebes tend to be 'skittish' too.

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

gitano

By the way... English sparrows very rarely have single nests. They are colony nesters. Also, they are "cavity" nesters, not ledge nesters. Also, I have never seen an English sparrow nest with moss in it. They are for the most part 'messy' nests.

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

Paul Hoskins

A phoebe is a peewee. Peewee is the redneck word for phoebe. ......What Gitano said about house sparrows again. Filthy, despicable birds that harass good, useful birds such as tree swallows, wrens  & bluebirds. They are not song birds by any stretch of the imagination. .....Paul H

sakorick

Here is today's picture. Distinct white belly showing.

Tags: