Weaver Challenger Dirty Objective Lens

Started by outdoorlvr, February 07, 2005, 11:13:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

outdoorlvr

Is there any way into the inside of this Weaver's objective lens?  The scope is one of the very late steel-bodied models.  Its not marked "U.S.A.", nor is it marked "made in" anywhere on either body or turret.

Both objective and ocular lenses seem sealed in place by a completely smooth aluminum end-cap.  Too bad, because a couple of swipes of acetone and the objective's interior surface would be perfect.

Would hate to have to shelf this, but perhaps will have to . . . .

All advice/suggestions appreciated.\

Thanks a lot, you guys.

Outdoorlvr

rockinbbar

Outdoorlvr,

The scopes these days are generally filled with gas to prevent fogging in the field. If you are seeing dust on the inside of OL, then it shows very poor quality control.
I suspect you might be seeing this more when looking through the scope towards the sunshine...?
If so, the inside of the OL on most scopes are threaded to take a shade type screw-in. this offers more shade towards the sunlight, & might not light up the dust in the scope as bad.
That is a pretty serious problem, because the game you hunt might be back-lit by sunshine & you might not be able to get a clear picture of what you are shooting.

If it were mine, I'd put it in a drawer.....go get a scope with better lens & qualty control..i.e. Leupold..;)

Rockinbbar
Remind yourself often to SEE not just "look".

outdoorlvr

Hey Rockinbar

. . . . Already have those Leupolds on perhaps a half dozen rifles, but your point is telling.   I have an affection for steel-tubed scopes.  This started with Alaskans, but when an externally excellent Weaver - particularly one of the more recent U.S. made, more deeply blued ones - pops up for thirty bucks,  I normally buy.  And this last purchase went this way, but its negative outcome was due to my lack of personal discipline.   -I should have simply examined it more carefully.  

I am curious over the "Challenger" designation.  This might have been an economy type Weaver model, but am unsure.  I have a similar appearing late U.S. made Weaver 4X on my M70 375 H &H, which is as clear as New Mexico spring water, but it may be the more highly priced model.  -Will have to check.

I'd still like to figure out how to safely get inside this thing.  As noted, one swipe of acetone on a Q-tip would clean it .  So will search a while longer.

Thanks for your input, Rockinbar.

Outdoorlvr

deadeye2

Hi Outdoorlvr,
There are two places that can repair your Weaver scope. I have used both of these shops and both do good work. The last Waever I had repaired cost me $69.00

ABO USA, Inc.
615 N. 2nd Ave
Miami, Fl. 3310

Weaver Scope Repair
1121 Larry Mahan Dr.
El Paso, Tx. 79925

I am sure that either one can clean and reseal your scope.
Be Safe...Have Fun

deadeye2

rockinbbar

By the way, I'm selling a steel tube Weaver 2.5-7 wide view duplex if anyone is interested...;)

rockin'

deadeye2

R-bob, why are you selling it? I have one on my old 760 Rem. pump. It has been on that rifle for about 25 years now and still holds zero.
Be Safe...Have Fun

deadeye2

rockinbbar

I'm kinda "tricking out" a Savage 99 in .243...I just replaced the Weaver with a Leupold 3-9x40. Next is addition of custom laminate stocks in autumn camo color....;) Ought to be a one of a kind....LOL.
Just like the 40mm Lueppy for quicker target aquistion. Nothing wrong with the Weaver, but with modern lenses, the Lueppy is a tad brighter.
I sighted in yesterday, the gun still shoots about MOA, so no improvement there.

Rockin'

Brithunter

Hi outdoorlvr,

Even if you did get it apert and did as you propose, whilst you might get rid of the dust, chanes are you waould also get rid of the lens coating with acetone. Best just to send it off and have it repaird/cleaned and recharged. Then you will have a very nice scope. The dust may be from some one els acutally getting inside?
Go Get them Floyd!

Tags: