They're All "In"...

Started by gitano, March 07, 2015, 10:51:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gitano

But not in my hands until Monday evening.

Anschutz 1430/32 in .22 Hornet

Husqvarna Cape Gun in 16 x 10.15x61R Jarmann

And another first-year of production Winchester Model 88 in .308 Win. With extra magazine and Redfield receiver sight. This one sent via USPS and not broken in half.

Waiting with 'bait on my breath'.

These three plus the 28ga Husqvarna Rolling Block and the Anschutz match 54 have put me 'in the hole' a bit. However, I got them all considerably below current 'market averages' and with extras, so while it has been painful, I believe all are disposable 'tomorrow' for gain.

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

Jamie.270

Looks like a helluva piece-o'-wood on that Anschutz Hornet Paul.

Nice score all 'round!

Congrats!
QuoteRestrictive gun laws that leave good people helpless, don\'t have the power to render bad people harmless.

To believe otherwise is folly. --  Me

gitano

Be nicer than necessary.

j0e_bl0ggs (deceased)

mebbe dog with three tails...
Turvey Stalking
Learn from the Limeys or the Canucks, or the Aussies, or the Kiwis, or the...
                   "The ONLY reason to register a firearm is for future confiscation - How can it serve ANY other purpose?"

Jorge in Oz

Nice rifles Paul.

Particularly like the cape gun.
"The Germans brought the best hunting rifle to the war. The Americans brought the best target rifle. The British brought the best battle rifle!"

"The early church was married to poverty, prisons and persecutions. Today, the church is married to prosperity, personality, and popularity." ― Leonard Ravenhill

gitano

Interesting that you 'pick' the Cape gun, Jorge.

In order of 'finding', I found the Model 88 first, the Cape gun second, and the Anschutz last. These all kind of came 'in a bunch'. The prices were 'right' to 'excellent', and I didn't think it wise to pass them up. Had I not seen the Cape gun 'early' in the buying spree, I don't think I would have purchased it. Not because I don't like it, but because by that time I would have been out of money. The Cape gun is the least "deal" of the bunch I think, but I'm a sucker for combos and hammer guns. This particular piece is chambered in a relatively easy cartridge to make.

"Live" pictures and report tomorrow.

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

Jorge in Oz

I mean don't get me wrong Paul that Anschutz is stunning and I am partial to all Winchester levers but there is something about double rifles, cape guns and combination rifles. I am also partial to Husqvarna products too even their chainsaws.
"The Germans brought the best hunting rifle to the war. The Americans brought the best target rifle. The British brought the best battle rifle!"

"The early church was married to poverty, prisons and persecutions. Today, the church is married to prosperity, personality, and popularity." ― Leonard Ravenhill

gitano

One of the attractions of the Cape gun was that it was a Husqvarna. I'd never heard of a Husky 'combo' before. I like them too, especially their side-by-side shotguns. Never had an over-the-counter firearm fit me as well as an 1858 Husky 16 ga side-by-side. I love that gun. I'm hoping this Cape gun is a 'repeat performance'.

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

gitano

OK - They are all in hand! On the way home from Los Anchorage I stopped in the new Cabelas to get some Hornet ammo - $20 for 25 rounds - so I will be shooting that rifle today! (It's the first time I've been in Cabelas. It's HUGE!)

No surprises, either good or bad. Descriptions and pictures were accurate.

The Cape gun looks a little better than in the pictures but not "surprisingly" so. The seller told me it locked up "tight as a safe". He was right. (When I told him I had the piece in hand, he asked me to provide a range report on the rifle. I like that.) I will be shooting that rifle soon too, as I have some dies and the brass can be fabricated from .348 Win brass.

J0e_bl0ggs is generously sending me some scope bases for the Anschutz but I will be shooting that today with the open sights. It is as pretty as the pictures suggest, BUT, the fellow that has the FFL that I use also appreciates Anschutz's, and pulled out two model 54 sporters that he owns. Both in .22 RF. The first one he got when he was a senior in high school. VERY nice rifle. "Plain" wood but very 'nice' stock. Pistol grip even has palm swell. Nice rifle! However, the other piece is just plain spectacular! Is the prettier twin of mine but in .22 RF. Honestly, took a lot of the wind out of my sails about mine. Such an elegant and gorgeous rifle. I should have taken a picture of it.

The Model 88 was 'as expected' except that the metal is honestly almost like NEW. If I didn't know better - and I do - I'd say it had been reblued. It's kinda amazing. The wood is what one would expect from a 60-year-old rifle that has been hunted with, but you still have to look to find the 'blemishes'. It has a recoil pad on it, which I am not sure is "factory". I don't think they had factory recoil pads installed. If not, I'll get a factory butt plate for it. I have seen them 'around'. The wood on the broken one is REALLY good, and the metal is nice. The wood on this one is "good" and the metal is amazing. I'll give you three guesses on what's going to happen, and the first two don't count.

I was going to post some pictures, but the ones from the sales ads are pretty good, so I'll post pictures of targets and cartridges after shooting and fabricating cartridges.

Another "good deal" where both the buyer and the seller(s) are happy!

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

gitano

So I was fondling my new long guns and I threw the Cape gun to my shoulder and "Hmm... Not quite the fit I hoped for. A bit 'short'. No big deal, but I decided to look more closely at it. I took the forearm off, removed the barrels and looked at the various cartouches and proof marks. These are all "French". Hmm... So I started looking for a "Husqvarna" stamp anywhere. Not only was there none to be found, clearly stamped on the shotgun barrel was: "Societe Anonyme Liege" and "Manufacture Liegeoise D'Armes A Feu". That ain't Swedish! So I got on the computer and looked up the ad. Nowhere in the ad did it even suggest this was a Husqvarna. I was confusing this piece with the 28 ga Husqvarna I got at the same time!

This is a Belgian-made piece. Not Husqvarna. This explains two obvious traits:
1) The metal-work of the action is NOT Husqvarna quality,
3) The 'fit' - to me - is not Husqvarna.

I still haven't heard of a Husqvarna combination gun.

All 'operator error'. I was in the middle of the 28 ga purchase and I saw that "bag" pistol grip (which, while found on firearms from other nationalities - obviously - is VERY Swedish), and just put "Husqvarna" in my head. I'm not particularly disappointed. I wish it had been what I imagined it to be, but it is still in very good 'nick', as our Brit friends would say. It's been reblued, but that is something that I happen to think is a GOOD IDEA. Keeping the finish on old guns LOOKING old for "collector value", is the height of arrogance and stupidity to me. This break-open firearm is 'tight as a safe" and has good wood and repointed checkering, (I can hear the collectors gasping then tsking). I'm fine with that.

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

gitano

Marcus - Here's the picture you requested of the magazine for the Hornet.

Looks just like the one you posted.

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

Jorge in Oz

Still looks like a nice piece Paul even though it is not a Husqvarna. looking forward to the range reports.

gitano

Be nicer than necessary.

gitano

Here's a Swedish Cape gun. http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=472592793 This one has been on Gunbroker for a while and it may have gotten me thinking Husqvarna. I don't care for the 9.3x72R cartridge. Very common, but just a really long 'pencil'.

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

Jorge in Oz

Hey Paul check out what a similar Husqvarna cape gun costs here. Thievery.

http://www.ozgunsales.com/listing/28766/haqvarna_cape_gun.html

Tags: