A New Rifle

Started by recoil junky, February 17, 2015, 06:12:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

recoil junky

After drooling over Remington's newest addition to their line up, the 700 Long Range and my wanting a 25-06 for a long time, the planets and stars finally aligned.

This after over a month waiting for my gun guy to find one. Seems Remington hasn't made very many of these and they are "scarce as hen's teeth" and all my internet searches were as fruitless as his. Anyway, I get a call late yesterday while me 'n t'missus are sitting on the couch and she's privy to the whole conversation as "Jimmy" and I belittle each other. There's no hiding this one, so I tell her what I did and she's not "thrilled" but not "upset" either. :sweetheart:

"Where'd you get the money?"

"I've been saving."

"For how long?"

"A couple years." (It's been longer than that actually)

"Oh. What's this one going to be good for?"

"Oh, everything, varmints, deer, antelope."

"I thought you didn't need to kill another antelope."

"Well, I don't but you never know when a rogue one might need dispatched."

She grins, "Rogue antelope huh?"

"Yep. You know how they are, always looking for an excuse."

"Will it be good for elk too?"

"Yeah, you know, the 'rogue' ones." :antlers:

Here's the particulars. Click on "specifications"

http://www.remington.com/products/firearms/centerfire/model-700/model-700-long-range.aspx

RJ
When you go afield, take the kids and please......................................wear your seatbelts.
Northwest Colorado.............Where the wapiti roam and deer and antelope run amuck. :undecided:  
Proud father of a soldier medic in The 82nd Airborne 325th AIR White Falcons :army:

gitano

Congratulations!

That's a very popular cartridge in your neck of the woods. Seems a little small for elk, especially "rogue" elk, but then I'm not exactly an elk "expert".

Too many people fail to understand the concept that one can have more than one gun for the same game species. And not all of those people are women!

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

Hunterbug

At least she didn't ask what you need it for. Need should never change in to the picture. I'm going to tell you the same thing that Gitano told me, just break down and buy 50 and after that she won't keep track.
Ask not what your government can do for you. Ask how your government can go away and get out of your life.

The unarmed man is is not only defenseless, he is also contemptible.
Niccolo Machiavelli

gitano

Be nicer than necessary.

sakorick

It's a classic caliber. It was easily the most popular wildcat back in Colorado in the early 60's. I didn't even know it was a wildcat until I got back from my first tour in 1968. All the news then was that Remington was going to standardize the cartridge and offer it in the 700 in 1969......they did. The 25-'06 is simply a 30-'06 case necked down to .25 caliber with no other modifications. With a high BC and blazing speed, it is flat shooting, retains it's kinetic power way down range, and easy on your shoulder. SIL Wylie has one in a Savage 110 with accutrigger and I have one in a Mauser custom Ackley. The 25-'06 is very versatile in that if you are looking for a rifle that's great on Varmints which can also preform on deer and Elk you would be very happy with the baby 30-'06. Thank you, Charles Newton.
Talk to yourself. There are times you need expert advice.

recoil junky

According to my book(s) A.O. Neidner is the father of the 25-06, but at thos point it doesn't really matter. The poor old '06 has been necked up, down, Improved and back by everybody. It is a classic. I want to get it Ackleyed, but I noticed the ground dwelling rodents are out, so I may wait.

RJ
When you go afield, take the kids and please......................................wear your seatbelts.
Northwest Colorado.............Where the wapiti roam and deer and antelope run amuck. :undecided:  
Proud father of a soldier medic in The 82nd Airborne 325th AIR White Falcons :army:

22hornet

"she's not "thrilled" but not "upset" either"

For me that's a great sign.

How long before you think you might have one in your hands?
"Belief:" faith in something taught, as opposed to "knowledge:" which is awareness borne of experience.

recoil junky

Might be here tomorrow. Now it'll have to wait 'til we get back from Florida now as we're heading for Denver to fly out as soon as I get off work tomorrow night, and getting back late on 1 March. I'll have it to look forward to.

RJ

Paul Hoskins

RJ, the only 25/06 I ever owned was a Ruger #1 & it shot great. I don't like 25 calibers but that doesn't mean they're not good. I gave it to a friend. I bought it with scope for 275 dollars. I have your problem with the wife. She keeps asking why I need another gun. Women just don't seem to understand. .....Paul H

davidlt89

beautiful gun!!!!! first I have Heard of it!!! I certainly do like remingtons. 25-06 was a caliber I had always wanted but never made the plunge!!! I got a great deal on my thompson center encore brand new, about a third of the price of that rifle, so I just had to get it. was at the beginning of my reloading phase and Paul helped me load two bullets for it, 115gr and an 85gr. both shoots the lights out. That rifle is never going anywhere!!! hoping my oldest boy uses it this year!!!! Great caliber!!!! God Bless.
Romans 12:2

2 Don't copy the behavior and customs of this world, but let God transform you into a new person by changing the way you think. Then you will learn to know God's will for you, which is good and pleasing and perfect.

Brithunter

Well I took a look and cannot see how it can be called beautiful :huh: ................................. sorry.

I hope you like it after all it's YOUR RIFLE so that's all that really matters.
Go Get them Floyd!

recoil junky

Quote from: Brithunter;137539Well I took a look and cannot see how it can be called beautiful :huh: ................................. sorry.

I hope you like it after all it's YOUR RIFLE so that's all that really matters.

:MOGRIN:

We all know your love of Remingtons runs deep BH.  :greentongue:

I have the rifle in my possession now after returning from a much needed weeks worth "warming up" in Florida. I'll 'put it together" on Friday. and fire form a few cases to get the new off. If all oes well I should have a group or two to share later in the weekend.

My next rifle is definitely going to be a Sako of some sort. I deserve one.

RJ

recoil junky

and pictures!!!

The scope is a 4.5-14X44 "take off".

And now some groups.

A group I shot yesterday before I got "tired".

Hmm, not quite there yet . . . .

And today's group. Definitely not a "10" but closer to a "6 1/2"

Everything the same as before but more powder, shorter COAL, trimmed and flasholes deburred. So far, cases aren't growing like I had expected them to. After initial trimming and fire-forming, the same five only grew (on average) .004" over ten shots apiece. One of them had 11, but I don't know which one :o Probably the one that was 2.489".

So what IMO does a "Ten" group look like? I have yet to shoot one, but this one from my .243

is an 8 1/2. All because of operator error.

Velocity is 3173 fps (avg.) with an extreme spread of 21.3 for 5 shots. Both Lyman and Hogdon say this (maximum) load should be 3020-3035. This isn't the first time I've been able to beat what the books say and still show no signs what-so-ever of pressure. Not that I go around trying that, it's just the way it works out sometimes.

So that means those five pieces of brass? They've been fired a total of 11 (12 if you count the one in an actual 30-06) times now, only trimmed once. Not bad for junk Remington brass.

I'm going to run another 50 rounds of this load, then see what group size looks like. If it's like my .243, 300RUM and one of  the .223's (all Remmys) they tend to need some tweaking after some more barrel break-in.

RJ

Brithunter

Actually it's my real dislike of plastic stocks They look cheap, feel cheap and to me feel dreaful and it don't matter what the make is.

I will have to admit that I really don't like the Rem 700 ............................ at all  :no:regardless of stock. The 700 Classics look OK from a distance. Their lines are right but I still wouldn't have one.
Go Get them Floyd!

Jamie.270

Quote from: Brithunter;137867Actually it's my real dislike of plastic stocks They look cheap, feel cheap and to me feel dreaful and it don't matter what the make is.

I will have to admit that I really don't like the Rem 700 ............................ at all  :no:regardless of stock. The 700 Classics look OK from a distance. Their lines are right but I still wouldn't have one.

Gee,...  Really?
Gosh BH, I never woulda guessed!
:cheesy: <---  This is my sarcastic face!

:grin:

Nice piece RJ!
With a 6.5 and a .270 I really have no use for a "quarter bore," but that looks like the ideal platform for one.
QuoteRestrictive gun laws that leave good people helpless, don\'t have the power to render bad people harmless.

To believe otherwise is folly. --  Me

Tags: