116-year-old Drilling Takes Moose

Started by gitano, September 17, 2014, 03:46:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gitano

Start here: http://thehunterslife.com/forums/showthread.php?t=15176&highlight=Stormer

Go here: http://thehunterslife.com/forums/showthread.php?p=108522#post108522.

Finish here:

Started out as you can see in the picture as the Lee .446 cast bullet. In wheel-weight 'lead' it dropped as 382 grains - no gas check. After swaging, it was 0.439". Launched at about 1900 ft/sec, impact range 40 yd, it was recovered on the 'far side' under the skin at 328 grains and 0.840" in diameter. Moose was "dead right there". "Pulverized" the on-side shoulder blade, went through C5 or C6 neck vertebra, (bull was angling away at at least 45 degree angle),  ended up under skin on far side.

Proud hunter and her first bull:

She had a permit for "any bull". We had planned for her to use a Remington 660 Mohawk, chambered in .308 Win, but when this bull sneaked up on us, the Mohawk wasn't close at hand. I cocked the hammer, set the drilling to "rifle", and told her to "use the front trigger". Bull dropped in his tracks.

I am at least as 'stoked' as she is. :D

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

22hornet

:COOLdude: What can I say? Everything has come together nicely, even if was more than a few years in the making.

Awesome result Paul. Simply awesome! :MOGRIN:
"Belief:" faith in something taught, as opposed to "knowledge:" which is awareness borne of experience.

recoil junky

When you go afield, take the kids and please......................................wear your seatbelts.
Northwest Colorado.............Where the wapiti roam and deer and antelope run amuck. :undecided:  
Proud father of a soldier medic in The 82nd Airborne 325th AIR White Falcons :army:

Jorge in Oz

That is so cool!! 116 year old drilling, that's amazing.

Congratulations to your daughter.

Well done. :2thumbsup:
"The Germans brought the best hunting rifle to the war. The Americans brought the best target rifle. The British brought the best battle rifle!"

"The early church was married to poverty, prisons and persecutions. Today, the church is married to prosperity, personality, and popularity." ― Leonard Ravenhill

gitano

She doesn't have a bruise on her shoulder, but she's complaining "it HURTS". In reviewing the sequence of events, she recalled that at the time of the shot she had only a 'tank -top' on. Her shoulder was bare.  I told her to quit whining. :) Truth is, in that light-weight (6.5 lb) firearm, 3000+ ft-lbs of muzzle energy is 'significant'. That's the price for a once-in-a-lifetime memory.

j0e_bl0ggs had an excellent suggestion: He said I should make a display case for the recovered bullet, the spent case, an unfired bullet, and an unfired cartridge. The background would be a picture of the drilling in "the environment". I told Caitlin that the bullet was the REAL 'trophy'. I'm going to make the display that j0e_bl0ggs suggested. Pictures when I get it finished.

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

JaDub

`Tis a Fairy Tale ending Paul !   Bravo and cudos to you BOTH.   I dare say the young lady just experienced  a life long memory.  Too kooool !

JaDub

j0e_bl0ggs (deceased)

Outstanding!

ETA:

The wall hanger trophy will last forever unlike the moose jerky!
Was thinking about that background picture, maybe needs an oval inset of Caitlin holding that moose head too, Caitlin's excellent background with pop's proud picture of daughter - time to get 'artsy'!
Turvey Stalking
Learn from the Limeys or the Canucks, or the Aussies, or the Kiwis, or the...
                   "The ONLY reason to register a firearm is for future confiscation - How can it serve ANY other purpose?"

gitano

I've also been thinking about other backgrounds. Possibly a montage. However, I don't want it to get too busy. We'll see what happens.

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

Jamie.270

Somewhere in this montage-tribute-shrine to this kill, this needs to be included.
QuoteFor those that might be interested, "drilling" is a corruption of the German "dreiling" - (drei = three auf Deutsch) - a three bbl'd rifle, most commonly  configured as a SxS shotgun with a rifle bbl chambered in a centerfire  cartridge suitable for big game below the shotgun bbls. Double rifle  bbls with a single shotgun bbl are occassionally seen, as are rimfire  cartridges in the single rifled bore, but both those configurations are  fairly rare.

Which I found in this post, by guess who?
http://www.thehunterslife.com/forums/showpost.php?p=23303&postcount=34
QuoteRestrictive gun laws that leave good people helpless, don\'t have the power to render bad people harmless.

To believe otherwise is folly. --  Me

gitano

Good point, Jaimie.270, and thanks for adding it. This 'thing' is growing by the day! But it's still a good point to provide some explanation about the firearm and cartridge. By the time by daughter has grandkids, I doubt there will be any people around that will have any knowledge of drillings.

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

drinksgin (deceased)

Now her older sister has to draw even, ah ,sibling rivalries.
Nice, what is the gun and cartridge?
NRA life, TSRA life, SAF life, GOA, CCRKBA, DEF -CON

gitano

Funny you should mention that. Among the first words out of her mouth were: "Well, Erin hasn't done that!"

Little did I appreciate the sibling rivalry about shooting big game animals.

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

drinksgin (deceased)

Paul just how long have you refereed two girls ?
That  was the first thought in my mind.
NRA life, TSRA life, SAF life, GOA, CCRKBA, DEF -CON

branxhunter

What a great story and photo. Thanks for sharing Paul. I really enjoyed going back through the historical and related links again too.

Perhaps the mantle of "keeper of the flame" has already passed on?

Marcus

sakorick

I would include her picture with the moose, and pictures of the rifle, cartridge, spent round, date and  her license. Years from now the montage will serve as a reminder of her family and bring back countless memories. I sure wish I had some pictures of my first Elk and Deer.
Talk to yourself. There are times you need expert advice.

Tags: