Sako 264 WM range report

Started by sakorick, September 07, 2014, 12:46:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sakorick

I was bemoaning my fate not able to locate 130 gr Accubonds for the 264. What is really bad is that Nosler has dedicated it's bullet effort in fielding their new "long range" Accubond. Everybody has them.....everybody! I mentioned this to Alain on a Skype call and also had 2 boxes of 120 Ballistic Tips and scads of 140 gr Sierra Game King's. He recommended trying the 120's, so after church, I loaded up some 120's with IMR4350 as the Sierra Manual said they were the best hunting load and the most accurate. Are these guys always wrong?:huh: They shot poorly and strung right to left. So, I gave up on that plan and tried the 140's. They shot worse than poorly and strung Left to Right. That's when the light bulb came on.......the gun just loves IMR4831 and here I am shooting 4350. So, I loaded up some 120 gr Noslers using 4831 and also remembered an old trick......to wit, If you get a gun shooting good and drop down in bullet weight try getting the bullet closer to the lands as well. It worked and I'm happy....and don't have to waste $$ on more bullets.:)
Talk to yourself. There are times you need expert advice.

Bill Thibeault

Rick,

What is the range for these groups?

Bill.
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."(George Orwell)

sakorick

Talk to yourself. There are times you need expert advice.

j0e_bl0ggs (deceased)

Turvey Stalking
Learn from the Limeys or the Canucks, or the Aussies, or the Kiwis, or the...
                   "The ONLY reason to register a firearm is for future confiscation - How can it serve ANY other purpose?"

Tags: