Hello From Olympic Peninsula

Started by Kanibal, January 27, 2005, 09:14:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kanibal

Im new to the forums and would like to say hello to you all and im glad to be here.  Im from the Western Coast of Washington's Olympic Peninsula and spend most of my time shooting traditional bows and fly fishing for steelhead.  Currently Im going to school in Eastern Washington, so ive been hunting in a million acre wheat field which is a big change from hunting the temperate rainforest that I grew up in.  Im still getting used to the lack of trees and the different critters running around here.
-Richard

Jay Edward (deceased)

Welcome to THL Kanibal...feel free to jump in and help us out.  We can always use another hunter/fisherman.

Kit

Quote from: KanibalIm new to the forums and would like to say hello to you all and im glad to be here. Im from the Western Coast of Washington's Olympic Peninsula and spend most of my time shooting traditional bows and fly fishing for steelhead. Currently Im going to school in Eastern Washington, so ive been hunting in a million acre wheat field which is a big change from hunting the temperate rainforest that I grew up in. Im still getting used to the lack of trees and the different critters running around here.
A couple of us here on this forum are from your neck'o'th'woods. Both necks, as a matter 'o' fact! Welcome from a former Islander... soon you will see "RumRunner" who is a stone's throw from your rain-ier haunt...

Which school are you going to, if I might ask?

Great to have you (I think...tee hee....)

Be careful on those freeways this month! Aieeeee!  Was the fog white or grey today where you are?
  Blessings,
  ~Kit
  now in Rodeo City

Kit

Oh, and... before I get too friendly, what exactly *are* you hunting in our local fields with the nomen "Kanibal"?

:-o

Perhaps something a bit gentler would be more appropriate... that is, if you want to make *friends* *grimace*

?????
 ~Kit
 I've lost count, but I might be mama #4 or5 or 7 or 8 or...around here...
 :-)

Kanibal

Im going to Eastern Washington University in Cheney and I think Im studying either girls or beer I cant remember, LOL.  Biology actually.  I have been bow hunting the last few years but decided to go with my 7mm this year for mule deer and white tails.  I think it might be pretty tuff to hunt the open country with a longbow.  I spent most of my time in the Palouse for deer this year.  Lots of deer and much bigger than the blacktails back home.  I didnt try for Rocky Mountain Elk this year but will next.  I have never hunted them before, we have Roosevelt Elk back home.  It was tuff for me to get used to hunting here, because I went from hunting a rainforest with five feet of visibility to being able to see for miles on the prairie.  Im going to buy a good varmint rifle and hopefully shoot some coyotes before season ends and then there is always spring turkeys which again I have never done.  More coyotes than you could shake a stick at as grandma always says.  I killed my first pheasent this year as well, there are quite a few of them around here.  Kit if you have any suggestions/hunting tactics that would be most appreciated.  And where was it your from, I mean which part of Washington? Good to meet you and take care.                                         Richard
-Richard

M. R. Byrd

Kanibal,

Welcome from Southwest Kansas. I am as far away from any big bodies of water as possible.

As far as your studies------has the Surgeon General started putting warning labels on girls and beer as being hazardous to your health??? Probably should:D . Game hunting  could be safer.

Concerning your change from the rain forest of the Olympic Peninsula to the prairies of Eastern Washington-----

here is a picture of my hunting area. This was taken in the Spring of 1989 after a unusually wet spring, so it is much greener than usual.

Maynard
Maynard Reece Byrd
Dodge City

Tool Dude

Welcome Kanibal:eek:

So................How'd ya get that nickname??????????  Makes  our Momma-Kit just a little riled....Ya know, she's been known ta rech fer the shootin iron:D

Seriously, welcome and enjoy your stay in E. Washington.  By the looks of your post, you need to buy something that lobs lead.  Go ahead, it'l make you feel better than beer:cool:

All the best and may you survive college!!

Brian

Kanibal

Thanks for the warm welcome everyone, I appreciate it.  I have a 7mm rem mag which "lobs lead" pretty far for deer and elk but am in the market for a smaller coyote rifle.  That is a pretty picture of Kansas and about what it looks like where I am going to college.  Tool which city in Idaho are you from?  Oh and Maynard say hello to Wyatt Earp for me.  Rumor has it he used to be sheriff in those parts.  Have a good one.                   Richard
-Richard

M. R. Byrd

Richard-

No rumor about Wyatt Earp, Bat Materson, Doc Holliday-----all were in Dodge City.

Here is a recent photo of a new bronze. It is located on a main east-west street, by the name of Wyatt Earp Blvd. He is facing the south toward the railroad tracks. The thing that Wyatt did was to require the cowboys to check their guns in when they wanted to cross the tracks to the north. He was trying to establish law and order north of the tracks. South of the tracks-----well anything goes.

Then the streets parallel are Front Street and Gunsmoke.

Maynard
Maynard Reece Byrd
Dodge City

Kanibal

And which side of the tracks do you prefer? LOL Thanks for the good info on the old west.  Always good to know more about our past.
-Richard

Kit

Quote from: Kanibal>>>Im going to Eastern Washington University in Cheney and I think Im studying either girls or beer I cant remember, LOL. Biology actually.<<<
"Biology"... that would be the girls.  "Beer" is "Chemistry"

Not that there isn't some "chemistry" involved with that particular variety of "Biology", though...

:D
 ~Kit

M1Garand

Kanibal,
Welcome, I have my degree in Biology/Natural Resources so look forward to hearing your input on various things.

Tags: