Carl Gustav M94 Carbine

Started by Jorge in Oz, July 09, 2013, 08:16:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jorge in Oz

Now I have done it I've gone and purchased a Carl Gustav M94 Carbine. Now before you Mauser fans get all excited this dear little carbine has been butchered by Bubba and the original stock has been given the sporter treatment. Now I don't understand why anyone on earth would want to chop back a carbine when they are light enough as they are.

Now I know I'm a masochist but I want to return this bad boy back to its original configuration. And yes I know it will not be matching numbers you say, well I don't care about that. And I know you will say that I have more chance of finding a 4 leaf clover, a unicorn and a naked mermaid than a spare stock but I don't care about that either as I am a patient man and however long it takes me I will try and try to scout out a stock and hardware for it. The only saving grace is that the metal, meaning the action, bolt, trigger guard , sights and floorplate are all in original condition and matching numbers so its not a bitza rifle yet but it will be once I find a stock for it. Also it has not been drilled and tapped either. :cheesy:

The reason I got it is that it was a good price and I missed the Dutch Steyr carbine I sold before I got a chance to shoot it. Once the deal was done when I went out on a deer hunt before I posted the rifle, I took it with me to get rid of the reloads I had and what do you know it was shooting coke cans at 80 meters with open sights, dohhh!! :huh:

Now if my quest for a stock gets desperate I have a plan B. I will fit a Spanish Mauser 93 carbine stock to it and just hold out till the Real McCoy comes along. I just want to dress it up in military configuration so I can have fun shooting at the military shoots. I know it won't shoot like a Springfield or M96 but its just a bit of fun.

Now if you dear folk hear about or see a stock or any other hardware for sale for this little carbine I would please like to know about it. Any assistance will be really appreciated. I know they are not cheap either but I'm happy to pay what I paid for the rifle to buy a stock for it.

Here is the photo please don't laugh or cry too loud. Cheers. Jorge

P.S. Now I think about it does not probably belong in the collectors corner in the state it is in.
"The Germans brought the best hunting rifle to the war. The Americans brought the best target rifle. The British brought the best battle rifle!"

"The early church was married to poverty, prisons and persecutions. Today, the church is married to prosperity, personality, and popularity." ― Leonard Ravenhill

sakorick

That carbine belongs here because of your interest to restore it. Very worthwhile project......good luck. Regards, Rick.
Talk to yourself. There are times you need expert advice.

Brithunter

An option to consider methinks would be a duplicate stock ............... one duplicated from an original. One of the Swedish "Mauser" collectors might be able to help with that as I am sure your not the first to do such a thing.

May I wish you the best in your worthy goal!
Go Get them Floyd!

Jorge in Oz

Thanks Rick.

BH, that is a brilliant idea, there is a guy that specializes in that on another Aussie forum I post in. He is doing bamboo laminate stocks but does all types of wood too. I would just have to get someone to loan me a stock (that may not be easy). Thanks dude.

Cheers

Jorge
"The Germans brought the best hunting rifle to the war. The Americans brought the best target rifle. The British brought the best battle rifle!"

"The early church was married to poverty, prisons and persecutions. Today, the church is married to prosperity, personality, and popularity." ― Leonard Ravenhill

gitano

The task you have chosen isn't an "easy" one, but it is certainly "doable". PATIENCE is the watchword!

I commend you on this. If you are patient, it can be both very fun and rewarding.

This is precisely where this thread belongs.

I like the stock duplication idea. I think it is the best first choice. If there are other components you need, list them here and I'm sure someone here at THL will help you get them.

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

branxhunter

Quote from: Jorge in Oz;126873Thanks Rick.

BH, that is a brilliant idea, there is a guy that specializes in that on another Aussie forum I post in. He is doing bamboo laminate stocks but does all types of wood too. I would just have to get someone to loan me a stock (that may not be easy). Thanks dude.

Cheers

Jorge

I was going to suggest him but sounds like you are already on it!

I understand Gorden Cussens in Tasmania bought Geoff Slee's left over stock blanks and perhaps even his pantograph - you might try him as we'll.

Marcus

Fieldmor77

No ones laughing Jorge, that's a nice looking little rifle, there's a show coming up in a couple of weeks at the table tennis center at Downey park.
I will keep my eye out, the last show at the RNA had a few swede stocks for sale so who knows, there might just be a few around.

Jorge in Oz

Thanks for the tip Marcus.

Thanks Peter that would be great. We have one this month so I have an excuse to attend now.

Cheers

Jorge

Brithunter

It might require the owner of the donor stock to get it duplicated and that's probably the easy part. Finding the correct metal furniture will probably be harder.

The used to be a Swede board over on Parallax Bills forums and if I recall correctly several had carbines that had been acquired sporterised but that was years ago now.
Go Get them Floyd!

gitano

"Furniture" may be difficult to find, but I don't think so. "Regular" M-98 hardware is fairly common. The M-96 Swede may be a bit more difficult, but I really do think it won't be too challenging. I'll start looking now.

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

sakorick

Quote from: gitano;126921"Furniture" may be difficult to find, but I don't think so. "Regular" M-98 hardware is fairly common. The M-96 Swede may be a bit more difficult, but I really do think it won't be too challenging. I'll start looking now.

Paul

Paul, he needs a M94 carbine stock with the nose cap and several other pieces of hardware. M94 matching carbines are selling for 1K now and a stock is going to be very hard to find. That said I am good at finding things....I just need to know what Jorge is willing to pay.....hear that Jorge? Regards, Rick.
Talk to yourself. There are times you need expert advice.

Jorge in Oz

Thanks Paul, really appreciate it.

Hey Rick, I'm aware that i will not be able to get a stock for under $250 to $300. I have seen other parts on eBay and other sites which I can procure. It would be nice to buy a stock with all the hardware in one hit and I guess around $350-$400 may be what I have to cough up.

I am going to see if I can get a stock duplicated but I'm sure it is hard to even find the here in Oz. I passed up an original M94 carbine with matching numbers that was going for $280 in Qld. I don't think the store actually knew how valuable that rifle was. I had some idea but no benjamins as I had just purchased a house. Darn it!

So I can shoot in the military shoots I'm thinking of buying a spansih M93 carbine and just take the stock off them. I have found two that have been drilled and tapped and bolt handles modified so it would not be sacrilegious to replace the stock with the one the Gustav is wearing until such time I can find the real McCoy.

I have seen a complete carbine on a US site going for around the $850 mark. Felt like dipping into my son's education fund to procure it but I would not commit such heresy.

Your help Rick would be most appreciated.

Cheers

Jorge

JaDub

Jorge,

Enjoy what you have however you want to.  Two thumbs up on your quest.  :2thumbsup:

These old mechanical wonders never die , they just keep on shoot`n.   :biggthumpup:

JaDub

Jorge in Oz

Hey guys, found a stock of FleaBay that looks like a dog's breakfast put a max bid of $100 and it's about $255, so reckon it will go for over $300. That at the moment is beyond my reach. Check it out http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/111133116774?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1426.l2649

I may have to go down the track of a duplicate or just use a spanish M93 calvary carbine stock and modify that.

Cheers

Jorge

Jorge in Oz

Tags: