A Sad Story With A Hopefully Happy Ending

Started by gitano, October 11, 2010, 07:31:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gitano

Some of you may remember the Collath drilling and the work I (and others here at THL) put into getting it field-ready. It was a gift from my Dad, I went on the last hunt my Dad and I got to go on together using that arm to take a pig in central California.

On September 11, my fishing buddy and I decided to do a 3-day-2-night float trip on the Susitna River. I took the Collath along to shoot ducks and a moose if we saw a legal one. The short story is that we capsized and I lost A LOT of 'stuff'. All of the stuff I lost was replaceable except for two items - yes... one was the Collath. The other was the knife RatherBHuntin made for me.

I lost some camping stuff that I'd had for a long time, some of it 35 years. Still, that stuff was replaceable. The Collath and the knife are not. However...

I just closed the deal on this item:

Here's the description.
QuoteThis ad features the pictured G. F. Stormer Antique Drilling with 16 Gauge Shotgun Barrels and a 10 Millimeter Rifle Barrel. This gun appears to be in all original condition with Outstanding engraving on the receiver and lock plates. The gun is tight but I advise against shooting it as the 26 and 3/4 inch Damascus barrels are pitted on the inside. The buttstock has 3 pins in the right side, these are small and most likely can be removed. I have no idea of why they are there. This a small dent in the right barrel about 6 inches back from the muzzle. The length of pull measures 13 inches. This is very nice older gun that borders on the edge of pure artwork. A close look at the pictures will show you all the details.

Have a look at it. I like it. It's listed as a "10 mm". We'll see what it really is when I get it in my hands. That should be late this week. I'll cast the chamber, and based on what I find, I'll probably have to get drinksgin on some sort of "solution" to find a cartridge I can use.

I'll keep you posted.

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

JaDub

Holy Smokes  !!!   Geeezzzzzz  Paul, that is one gorgeous piece of work.  Hooooowweeee  !      I can`t imagain how you must have felt after losing one in the river.    I would have considered daming the river to retrieve it.  

BUT , congratulations on the potential buy.   I`m VERY envious.  

P.S.   I have to ask.........    what`s it worth?   (  not what you paid  )  answer
optional.....8-)

gitano

QuoteP.S. I have to ask......... what`s it worth? ( not what you paid ) answer
optional.....8-)

As you know, "Worth" and "Cost" two very different animals. You should be able to see the cost on the website - "worth" is a different matter. What I have been TOLD is that the "German Gun Collectors Association" will feature it in an article in the Fall edition of their Journal this month or next. http://germanguns.com/cart/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1&products_id=114 I have no idea if that is true, but the truth of it is "testable".

I didn't ask how long it has been for sale, and why it hasn't sold so far. I don't know if it has been for sale for long. It is being sold from a "store", not by an individual. Therefore, one would think that a "great deal" wouldn't last very long.

There are two aspects of this piece that may be inhibiting the "regular Joe" from buying it.

1) It's got a "weird" chambering on the rifle, and
2) The seller recommends "in writing" that the shotgun barrels not be shot because "they are pitted".

With respect to "1"; everyone here should know by now that "weird chamberings" are an attractant to me, not a deterrent.
With respect to "2"; I asked the seller about that and he said that is his "standard" comment with regard to damascus-barreled firearms.

I still believe that it is entirely possible that the "worth" of this piece will be less than its "cost" to me. I do have some concern about it's "fitness" as a hunting arm.

By the way, did you notice the bullet trap in the butt? :D I did.

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

gitano

I found one that sold at auction in 2006 for $2100.

Here's one picture of it.

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

JaDub

Those pieces are stunning to say the least. I own a couple damascus barrel guns that seem to be in pretty good shape but unless I put together a couple `pooof` loads I`m not sure I need to fire them. I truly appreciate the engraving work........... I can just see Giuseppie , all bent over, peering thru his tiny ancient frosted bi-focals tapping a micro hammer and chisel all the while saying to himself..... "I just can`t do this stuff any more, pity my poor eyes , pitty my broken old  back............... aaaaaauugh ! "

sakorick

It's not a firearm, rather a piece of artwork with a dreiling attached. Stunning.....you stole it! Regards, Rick.
Talk to yourself. There are times you need expert advice.

buckshot roberts

We got too complicated......It\'s all way over rated....I like the old and out dated way of life........I miss back when..

Jorge in Oz

Beautiful dude, definitely true craftmanship.
"The Germans brought the best hunting rifle to the war. The Americans brought the best target rifle. The British brought the best battle rifle!"

"The early church was married to poverty, prisons and persecutions. Today, the church is married to prosperity, personality, and popularity." ― Leonard Ravenhill

Brithunter

Paul,

Before looking at anything else the engraving screamed out German. The Red Stag and Roe bucks tell it all to me :grin:. Just what it was intended for. I look forward to hearing what the rifle barrel is calibre and chambering wise and fi the barrels are fit for use. That small dink will need ironing out of course.

I am not jealous really ......................................................... nope not in the slightest.

Good job my names not Pinnocchio
Go Get them Floyd!

Paul Hoskins

Paul, I've always admired the deep relief engraving the old German masters did. That takes imagination. Modern engravers have to use a pattern. Can't think for themselves for the most part. That gun is really beautiful & whether it's usable or not is besides the point. How many gunschmidts today can build something like that for less than 50,000 dollars? It's beautiful. ......Paul H

recoil junky

When you go afield, take the kids and please......................................wear your seatbelts.
Northwest Colorado.............Where the wapiti roam and deer and antelope run amuck. :undecided:  
Proud father of a soldier medic in The 82nd Airborne 325th AIR White Falcons :army:

gitano

Thanks, fellas.

It should be in the mail as I write this. With priority mail, it should be here no later than Friday. I'll be camped out at the local Post Office. :)

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

kombi1976

Very, very, VERY nice, Paul.
I'm very sad to hear about the Collath but hopefully this will go some way to making up for the loss.
Damascus bbls mean black powder loads......right?
Cheers & God Bless
22lr ~ 22 Hornet ~ 25-20 ~ 303/25 ~ 7mm-08 ~ 303 British ~ 310 Cadet ~ 9.3x62 ~ 450/400 N.E. 3"

gitano

QuoteDamascus bbls mean black powder loads......right?
As far as I'm concerned they do.

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

LvrLover

"Live free or die: death is not the worst of evils." General John Stark

Tags: