Hi Point 995

Started by drinksgin (deceased), January 19, 2010, 01:16:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

drinksgin (deceased)

I tried some cast loads in the 995 today, you know me, if I can I am going to shoot cast.
125gr 2r, lbt soft blue lube, 6.2gr Herco, using Lee factory carbide crimper, 1290 fps avg. chrono at 15'
Action worked fine, just as the C9 pistol does.
Even more I find Hi Points inexpensive but not cheap.
The same load in the 4" barrel of the C9 did 1050fps.
:biggthumpup:
NRA life, TSRA life, SAF life, GOA, CCRKBA, DEF -CON

LLANOJOHN (deceased)

Don,

I have also been looking at this little rifle as a possible truck gun for the occasional hog, skunk, raccoon and et al.  I am presuming yours is chambered for the 9mm Lugar/Parabellum cartridge.  Any experience with it on the above named game/varmints??:help:

Ol' John...:Banghead: :sleeping:
Life Member-NRA-TSRA
Riflesmith-Bolt & Lever Centerfires Only
Left-Hand Creek Rifles
Mark Twain was right-"There is no such thing as too much good whiskey!"
My best advice.."Best to stay outta trees and offa windmills!"

drinksgin (deceased)

So far, only on targets and chrono.
The one I have is an earlier model which does not have the latest improvements such as a piccatinny rail.
If you go to the Hi Point site they show the new models, the 995, which I have, the 4095, due out this spring and the 4595 due out in early summer, cute, ugly varmits, but if they work as well as my C9 pistol and 995 carbine as well as Gitano's .45 pistol, they should be a lot of fun and gun for the money.
I did the calcs, 9mm, 125gr at 1300fps =450+ fps,  .40, 180gr at 1300fps = 680 fps and .45, 230 gr at 1100 fps = 600fps, so I think any of the three would up to even small deer, lesser varmints should be a snap.

llanero

Interesting post, drinksgin--never thought of casting 9mm for my HiPoint. They are neat little carbines. I had always foolishly dismissed them as cheap junk, until my father gave one to me for a birthday present. I was shocked at the reliability and simplicity of the rifle. It has some rough edges, such as the bolt handle (now secured with blue loctite), the questionably soft scope rail and the safety position, but the thing goes "BANG" every time and the customer service at HiPoint is second to none. Over the years it has swapped places with an SKS as the "truck gun" and in the field it has served as the insturment of the coup de grace on a white-tail fawn, finishing the job my  S-10 started.

I did execute a gilt with it a couple of years ago, in a controlled setting, calm pig eating grain and the muzzle practically touching its forehead. The winchester white box FMJ did its job (thank God--few things are worse than a squealing, bloody pig running amok)--besides a .22 revolver, that was all we had at the time and it didn't seem like the 9mm would be lacking. Personally, I'd think twice about using it as a serious pig killer in the bush.
There ain\'t too many things a man cain\'t fix with $700 and a .30/06.

gitano

Quotefew things are worse than a squealing, bloody pig running amok
Only thiing I know if is a wounded bear... And I don't mean danger, I mean horrible sounds and specatacle.

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

drinksgin (deceased)

Ll, if you secured the knob on the bolt operator, you lost a function of it.
The sliding knob is to not only to get a better grip when cocking the bolt, in the out position, but when pushed all the way in with the bolt all the way back, it locks the bolt open for clearing and cleaning, the reduced base of the knob goes into a hole in the end of the slot.

Paul Hoskins

Don, I haven't shot my Hi Point since I sighted it in last summer. I see no reason cast bullets won't work just as well as jacketed bullets. You can't get that much velocity out of the 9mm anyway. I'll have to look thru my junk boxes and see if I have 9mm mold blocks. Let us know how things work out with cast bullets. Maybe this fall I can use it on deer in the back yard.  .....Paul H  

llanero

Quote from: drinksgin;104357Ll, if you secured the knob on the bolt operator, you lost a function of it.
The sliding knob is to not only to get a better grip when cocking the bolt, in the out position, but when pushed all the way in with the bolt all the way back, it locks the bolt open for clearing and cleaning, the reduced base of the knob goes into a hole in the end of the slot.

Drinksgin, I apologize for not making myself clear. Before I employed the loctite, it was necessary to continuously tighten the bolt handle into the bolt as it was loosening itself from the recoil and vibrations from driving. The actual bolt knob was left untouched in its "free-float" state so it can continue to function, as you mentioned, as a clever and simple bolt-lockback device. Before I did this, there were a few times at the range and in the truck when the bolt handle came completely loose out of the rifle's bolt and I had to hunt around for it and the bolt knob. I finally used the loctite after I took the rifle out of the truck and the bolt handle and the knob where nowhere to be found. I'd driven 1/2 hour to shoot at this range and was a touch peeved with myself :angry: . It was a bit of a sticky wicket, but I used the screwdriver from my Leatherman to work the action until the parts came in. The folks at HiPoint were great, shipping me the parts and throwing in an extra magazine,  all for no cost.
:iloveyou:, HiPoint Customer service!!

Reading over this, the terminology is confusing as the 995's bolt handle is an actual "bolt", as in one from the hardware store bin, that screws into the rifle's bolt. I'm sure that if I had to, I could've gone down to TrueValue and picked up a bolt and nut with the correct thread pitch and driven on. ;)

I'll definately be looking at the .45 version of this carbine if it ever comes out!!! I hope they keep the KISS principle intact and don't muck it all up trying to tacticool it out.

Paul, while I can only imagine the scene with a wounded bear, I see we're on the same page.

Regards to all,
Bob
There ain\'t too many things a man cain\'t fix with $700 and a .30/06.

drinksgin (deceased)

Paul H., the 125gr 2r Lee works fine and the 158 swcgc also worked with no problems, have not tried wadcutters, they may work, too.
Bob, the .40 S&W ,4095 is supposed to be out this spring and the .45 ACP, 4595 is supposed to be out in the fall.

Paul Hoskins

Thanks pal, I'll have to see how many GC 9mm bullets I have on hand. .....Paul H

Tags: