Sako expose' :- Q's for Sakorick

Started by branxhunter, November 29, 2009, 01:10:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

branxhunter

When I started to get really interested in hunting and firearms in my teens THE rifle to have was a Sako heavy barrel .222. I assume that at the time the model that was available was the L461. Since those days I have always dreamed that I would pick up a Sako at some stage.

At the start of this year there was a L461 rebarreled with a sporter weight barrel in .223 in the local sports shop for around $900 AUS (one of the few I have seen for under $1000). I asked the shop-owner what he thought of it - perhaps predictably he answered  something along the line of "Its not bad for old technology". Perhaps he was hopng he could steer me towards one of his shiny new Tikkas.

Since I have been keeping a close eye on firearms websites I have noticed a number of different models, including the L46, L579 (I understand to be the longer action equivelent of the L461), AII, 75 and 85.

My question for Rick is  - which do consider to be the best Sako sporting model, and why?

Marcus

sakorick

That's easy. The 1968 and earlier L61R long action, L579 medium action and L461 short action rifles, Bofors marked barrels, were essentially hand made. They are in a league of their own. Additionally, the Stoeger imports from 79 to 82 are very well made with some occasional outstanding wood. And of course the L46 Riihimaki short action .222 rifles made from 1946 until 1956 won more Olympic gold medals than any other rifle....finding an excellent one nearly impossible. Sako made the L57 for two years(1957-59) that had faulty safeties......they were replaced with the improved L579 in 1959.

By comparison the new Sakos are just robot made junk as are the Brownings, Rugers, Winchesters, Weatherbys and about everything else.

I would not even consider a L461 that has been altered with a new barrel as they will never appreciate in value.......simply, it's not a Sako anymore. Regards, Rick.
Talk to yourself. There are times you need expert advice.

Brithunter

QuoteBy comparison the new Sakos are just robot made junk as are the Brownings, Rugers, Winchesters, Weatherbys and about everything else.

:grin: Tell us straight how you feel about it Rick :MOGRIN: .
Go Get them Floyd!

LLANOJOHN (deceased)

Branxhunter,

Allow me to add one or two items to what Sakorick penned!  In 1960 when I was attending gunsmithing college one of the fellows had a Marlin rifle that was built on a Sako action with a Marlin "Microgroove" barrel.  Chambered for the .222 Remington with a 24" barrel...this rifle was indeed a 'shooter'.  Many p-dogs and jackrabbits I personally witnessed met their demise!:toff:

#2 would be the Sako Deluxe Vixen that I purchased in 1964, an extremely well made and attractive Euro walnut stock and, of course, another real 'shooter'.  Can't go wrong with the early Sako's.:sweetheart:

Good luck in your quest for a Sako at a good price.

Ol' John...:Banghead: :sleeping:
Life Member-NRA-TSRA
Riflesmith-Bolt & Lever Centerfires Only
Left-Hand Creek Rifles
Mark Twain was right-"There is no such thing as too much good whiskey!"
My best advice.."Best to stay outta trees and offa windmills!"

branxhunter

Thanks Rick and Llanojohn, it is always good to tap into the knowledge and experience of those who have been fooling arou nd with these things for many years.

Now Rick I completely understand and appreciate your comments in the context of collection pieces bought to appreciate value. I also understand your comments on firearms as engineering marvels and works of craftsmanship.

What about if I was looking for a firearm that I wanted to look after but also use - ie accurate, but over time collection of minor scratches and rubbing of blueing is just par for the course? I wouldn't want to destroy the value of a fine example through using it in the way it was made for. I assume that you would still say something like a L461 or a L579 would be the way to go.

What is the dufference between the L46 and the L461?

Lastly, here is a photo of a L46 Riihimaki in .222 that sold recently for $1000AUS - good buying considering most L461 Sakos sell for around $1200-1500AUS?

Marcus

Tags: