It was a good day at the range...

Started by gitano, May 21, 2009, 09:04:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gitano

I finally got to the range yesterday - first time this year! - and since my eldest was home from college, she came along. I had some 'business' to conduct: Shoot my 50-90 Sharps Quigley for the BP Postal Shoot; test-fire the new .25 Krag Martini; sight in new scope on my Ruger No.1 7x57; and work on the problems with the .375x284 Win. So... I brought along my Ruger 10/22 for my daughter to shoot while I was fiddling with the .375 and the Quigley.

After getting the 50-90 shot for group and test-firing the new Martini, I had Erin shoot the Martini to get used to something larger than the .17 Rem. - the only center-fire rifle she had shot so far. She has taken a couple of caribou with it, but hasn't shot any larger caliber 'til now, so I didn't want to surprize her. The Martini in .25 Krag was 'fun'. There were some 'issues' with extraction, so we stopped with the Martini after 5 rounds.

I had recently put a new new scope on my Ruger No.1 RSI in 7x57 and needed to get it sighted in. It was an excellent opportunity to show Erin how to properly sight a 'scope in. It went swimmigly. :D So, after three rounds at 25 yds for 'getting on paper'; three rounds at 100 yds to 'fine tune' the 25-yd-based settings, it was time to "shoot for score". Here's her 3-shot group:

Her mother shoots nice little groups with her Ruger 7x57 too. It's nice to teach girls. They listen to what you tell them, and do it.

She and her sister and I are headed to the skeet range this weekend with their new 20 gauge side-by-sides. :D

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

sakorick

Excellent. Good job Paul and daughter too! Regards, Rick.
Talk to yourself. There are times you need expert advice.

gitano

Be nicer than necessary.

Antler3

Glad you all had good time and nice to see the family together having fun, Good shooting I might add !  :biggthumpup:
ANTLER 3

22hornet

Sounds like you had a great day at the range! :biggthumpup:
Good shooting too.

What was the issue with the Martini?
"Belief:" faith in something taught, as opposed to "knowledge:" which is awareness borne of experience.

LLANOJOHN (deceased)

Paul,

Absolutely outstanding, amigo..!:biggthumpup:

Looks as if Erin is a "chip off the ol' block..":hat:

Keep us updated as to the skeet shooting...Glad you are allowing us to be a part of your family..!

Ol' John..:Banghead: :sleeping:
Life Member-NRA-TSRA
Riflesmith-Bolt & Lever Centerfires Only
Left-Hand Creek Rifles
Mark Twain was right-"There is no such thing as too much good whiskey!"
My best advice.."Best to stay outta trees and offa windmills!"

gitano

QuoteWhat was the issue with the Martini?
I'm not 100% sure. But the first round was almost impossible to extract. I thought I was going to bend the lever. A couple of the subsequent rounds were almost as bad, and only one was was even close to 'normal'. I haven't had a chance to look the rifle over yet, but there was nothing odd about the cases. The cases were only about 0.004" larger than unfired.

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

recoil junky

Good deal Paul. It's always fun to get the kids out shooting. :biggthumpup:

You'll have to bring the 50-90 next time you come down. I know a feller who wants to shoot it. :greentongue: MAybe we can hook up when I'm up there in August.

RJ
When you go afield, take the kids and please......................................wear your seatbelts.
Northwest Colorado.............Where the wapiti roam and deer and antelope run amuck. :undecided:  
Proud father of a soldier medic in The 82nd Airborne 325th AIR White Falcons :army:

gitano

If you make to AK, RJ, and don't at least gimme a chance to find you, I'm gonna be 'peeved'. Keep me posted.

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

Paul Hoskins

Good to hear you're out shooting with the kids. They are always fun to be with on the range. Good shooting on Erin's part too. Nothing wrong with that gun. Haven't done any shooting or fishing lately myself. Been too busy with the garden and mowing the lawns. Having to mow twice a week. Hasn't rained in a few days, so maybe the grass will quit growing and I can finish the garden and do something I like doing.  Let me know what you find out about the Martini Krag extraction problem. I'm in the process of building something similar.   ...........Paul H

Tags: