Olympic peninsula elk

Started by unknown_one, November 03, 2008, 08:51:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

unknown_one

Spent last weekend out on the west end looking for the elusive creatures. I saw one 3 pt down and a whole lot of sign but not a single animal. Supposed to be 12,000 animals being chased by less than 600 hunters but for some reason, all I ever saw was hunters.....

Going back this weekend and it ought to be a riot, Forks is forecast to get 15 inches of rain (just on Saturday). Its kind of like putting on all your clothes and standing in the shower. A cold shower. All day long.

RatherBHuntin

Take a poncho!  Good luck on your hunt, your best bet is probably not to look for Elk, but look for places where the hunters aint.
Glenn

"Politics is supposed to be the world\'s second oldest profession.  I have come to realize that it bears a very close resemblance to the first."
Ronald Reagan

unknown_one

I think they had the Olympic peninsula in mind when the invented gortex. Forks averages about 120 inches of rain per year and Mount Olympus, over 200.

Kanibal

Ha yea im from Forks all my life and while you will see a lot of hunters they will only be found driving the main roads.  The trick is to get off the beaten path as archery and muzzleloader season have most of the elk pushed into the nasty areas.  Be prepared to work for a bull in modern season but there are still a lot around.  Just need to know where to go! 80% of all the elk hunters are in the roads and clear cuts meaning they dont like getting wet.   Other than that all i can say is get off the beaten path walk some old roads get behind locked gates and such.  Watch for fresh track and get on em asap! Most of all stay away from other hunters!
-Richard

unknown_one

Well I didn't get totally skunked. I peeked over a landing yesterday afternoon west of Forks and south of the Boggie and saw 10 cows. Try as I might, my imagaination could not grow antlers on any of them, nor after about an hour lying in the mud and brambles watching, did any boyfriends wandering out of the timber. They are probably 100 yards away.

Some other pictures from yesterday if you are interested. No elk in them though.

South fork of the Hoh river, upstream of the campground.

An old growth blue spruce, at least 10 feet at the butt.

davidlt89

Keep at'em buddy, sounds like Kanibal gave some good advice. nice pictures! God bless.
Romans 12:2

2 Don't copy the behavior and customs of this world, but let God transform you into a new person by changing the way you think. Then you will learn to know God's will for you, which is good and pleasing and perfect.

Tags: