opinions and reasons for double action or single action

Started by buffalo bob, August 10, 2008, 05:26:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

buffalo bob

i am in the market for a new revolver.  mostly just shooting but also hunting deer.  i want an uncommon caliber.  large.  i have been looking at smith, magnum research, ruger, and taurus.  taurus would be limited to the 500 s&w.  bfr has many options but i favor 500, 460, or even 475 linebaugh. ruger has 454 or 480.  my big question is which makes the best hunter.  single action or double action.  i have a redhawk 44mag but never shoot double action with it. hopefully i can get some good input.  does the single action frame differ enough to alter perceived recoil.  bfr states their large hand cannons recoil less than other double actions in smaller calibers.  

Brithunter

Hi There,

Although this might sound "clever" it's not meant to be so :shy: but have you considered one of these:-

http://www.gunsamerica.com/903604677/Guns/Pistols/Century-Arms-International/Pistols/Century_Model_100_45_70_Revolver_SSA_Style.htm

Century Model 100 in 45/70 :biggthumpup:
they also made a fancy version called the Klondike Gold and even in one 50/110. Not a light weight but it's a big bore and probably leaves the Lineburgh and S&W 500 in the dust. The gun is still in production it seems after the rights were sold but I don't know who is making them I did a little new search and found this one offered which is why I posted it.

Oh I thought it ticked most of your boxes but it's single action only.
Go Get them Floyd!

gitano

Quotei have a redhawk 44mag but never shoot double action with it.

I think you have your answer.

I too have a Redhawk in .44 Mag. To tell you the truth, I don't know why it has a DA option. I can shoot it at least as fast in SA, and I can't imagine - let me repeat that -

I CAN'T IMAGINE

shooting that revolver in DA if I was remotely interested in hitting the broad side of a barn even from the inside.

Paul[/SIZE]
Be nicer than necessary.

Daryl (deceased)

You won't need the double action feature for hunting, IMO.

The main difference is going to be in how you percieve recoil between the SA and DA frame. The double action will recoil more in a straight line than the SA frame; the SA being more inclined to roll with heavy recoil.

The exception to this being the Bisley, which is likely the way to go with a big, heavy recoiling cartridge.

Do yourself a favor, and if at all possible go out and actually shoot the various frame styles and see which you prefer. I can't overemphasize that.

Daryl
A government that abrogates any of the Bill of Rights, with or without majoritarian approval, forever acts illegitimately, becomes tyrannical, and loses the moral right to govern-Jeffrey Snyder

RIP Linden33

buffalo bob

that was what i was wondering.  the perceived recoil.  i had a super blackhawk years ago but couldn't recall the difference between it and the redhawk i now have.  i have been leaning toward the bfr in 475 linebaugh.  something not everyone has.  500 smiths are becoming kind of common and with no real benefit over the linebaugh.  i have a 12.5# rifle in 50-110 and cannot imagine that recoil in a handgun.  i had read where the recoil was different between the single and double action frames but couldn't find specifics.  i think the rolling recoil would be easier on the old joints.  

recoil junky

Yes, there is a difference in recoil between dbl and sgl action revolvers. My orthopedic surgeon (who also likes to shoot big hand cannons) has switched from a super red hawk to the Ruger hunter model super black hawk. He says that the recoil is different in that the way the grips fit your hand with a single action. It's more of a rolling recoil instead of straight back like a double action. I'm thinkging of trading off my Redhawk for the Super Blackhawk Hunter model.
As for a bigger hand gun than a 44 magnum, my question is WTF for?? :greentongue: A 300 grainer is plenty big medicine foir  deer out of the 44 mag.

RJ
When you go afield, take the kids and please......................................wear your seatbelts.
Northwest Colorado.............Where the wapiti roam and deer and antelope run amuck. :undecided:  
Proud father of a soldier medic in The 82nd Airborne 325th AIR White Falcons :army:

buffalo bob

simply because.   i have the old standby's  30-06, 25-06 22lr,  but i felt i also wanted the wby 30-378, and the 416 rigby, and the 50-110 sharps.  i will never need them but i like them because not every one has one.   i have my 44mag and my 45acp. but i want something different.  not that i need it.  i just want it.  nobody "needs" a hummer,  or the corvette, or bmw.  they just want them   this is the same thing.

recoil junky

Ahh, now I gitcha.

I still wouldn't have a Corrvette or a Hummer, but a Beemer? Now that I could use :biggthumpup:

RJ
When you go afield, take the kids and please......................................wear your seatbelts.
Northwest Colorado.............Where the wapiti roam and deer and antelope run amuck. :undecided:  
Proud father of a soldier medic in The 82nd Airborne 325th AIR White Falcons :army:

subsonic

The Ruger Bisley frame is AWESOME for handling recoil. Shoot one! I do!

The DA guns, specifically the S&W frames, are probably the most painful IMHO.

If the backstrap is covered with rubber, they're better.

Have you thought of going with something custom built on a Ruger Bisley frame?

The .44mag and Ruger strength loaded .45Colt are both PLENTY powerful - but if you want something different get one converted to .475Linbaugh.

If the Freedom Arms Model 83 in .454 Casull is not too common for you, they are as nice as you will find without going custom (and compare with the customs). I think these come in .475 Linbaugh and some sort of .50cals also and the grip on them is said to be almost as good as a Bisley for recoil.

That's my $.02.

buffalo bob

all good comments.  this is what i was looking for.  the reason that single actions are preferred.  maybe not less recoil but better tolerated recoil.  why not make all the hand cannons single action.  as was said before, who could accurately shoot one of these double action.

Daryl (deceased)

Quote from: buffalo bob;81951all good comments. this is what i was looking for. the reason that single actions are preferred. maybe not less recoil but better tolerated recoil. why not make all the hand cannons single action. as was said before, who could accurately shoot one of these double action.

Actually, it's a matter of preference.

Some folks like the way a good double action handles recoil.  Others prefer the single action, and have no use for a double action in a heavy recoiling cartridge.

I know a couple of people who are afraid to shoot my SA Rugers in .45 Colt with full powered loads.  A 300 grain bullet @ 1300+ fps recoils a bit much for them, and they don't shoot them well.

For me, I have no problem with it at all.

It's wonderful to have choices, that's for sure.

Daryl
A government that abrogates any of the Bill of Rights, with or without majoritarian approval, forever acts illegitimately, becomes tyrannical, and loses the moral right to govern-Jeffrey Snyder

RIP Linden33

RatherBHuntin

If I were hunting dangerous game with a revolver I would want a DA, though I am sure others would be just as comfortable and quick with a SA.
Glenn

"Politics is supposed to be the world\'s second oldest profession.  I have come to realize that it bears a very close resemblance to the first."
Ronald Reagan

subsonic

While I CAN shoot my 4" 629 DA accurately, it's not quite as accurate as shooting it SA - and my hand takes even more of a beating DA for some reason.

A set of Herrett Jordan Trooper stocks are on my long term wish list - these help according to everyone I've ever talked to. I beleive it. The grip ends up looking not unlike a Bisley. They will cut them based on a tracing of your hand.

I shoot an RCBS 44-250-K cast from WW and water dropped over 20gr of 2400 with a CCI large pistol primer. Not a firewall load, but close enough for my palm!

subsonic

Here is a thread on another forum for you. There are nothing but hard-core revolver guys on here:

500WE or 475 Linebaugh in a FA.... and the winner is.

http://single-actions.phpbb3now.com/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2571

If you can afford a Freedom Arms, you won't regret it.

gitano

I'm not much of a 'pistolero', so this is the first I've heard of this difference in percieved recoil between DAs and SAs. What's the explanation for this difference?

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

Tags: