12 (80%)
1 (6.7%)
0,ga
1 (6.7%)
2,ga
1 (6.7%)

Total Members Voted: 13

buckshot roberts

:)well THL what's it take to bag a squirrel.......I've been told the ol' squirrel should be hunted with no other than the .22, some say the 12,ga an a few the .410, I know some who still use the .32/20, for the bushy-tail.... an if ya like you can throw in your choice of rifle, or shotgun..Ron
We got too complicated......It\'s all way over rated....I like the old and out dated way of life........I miss back when..

davidlt89

I like the .22 Ron. I don't hunt them to eat as we have mostly brown squirrels and I don't believe they are worth eating. just seems to be no need to use a shotgun since they are so plentiful. can get within 10' ft of them if you want to. God Bless.
Romans 12:2

2 Don't copy the behavior and customs of this world, but let God transform you into a new person by changing the way you think. Then you will learn to know God's will for you, which is good and pleasing and perfect.

Daryl (deceased)

Ron,

Of your choices, I'd use a .22, with either sub-sonics or shorts, since I have a quite a bit of either.

Truthfully though, I'd rather take a handgun.  Either a .38 special or .32 H&R mag would do nicely.

Daryl
A government that abrogates any of the Bill of Rights, with or without majoritarian approval, forever acts illegitimately, becomes tyrannical, and loses the moral right to govern-Jeffrey Snyder

RIP Linden33

subsonic

.22 here. I hate digging around for pellets and shotguns take away the fun for me.

Alboy

Like Daryl

Of the choices mentioned I would use a 22 these days when going for them on purpose.

I have taken them with just about everything else and a whole lot of that depended on what I was holding when Mr. Squirrel started given me what for.

The most fun was with the 45-70, aimed to groove the head or clean miss, got about a half dozen that day and ate good that night.
Alboy
BLACKPOWDER WATERFOWLER
KATY TEXAS PRAIRIE

THIS TOO SHALL PASS

LvrLover

I prefer a 22 when squirrels are my only quarry, but around here I can also see birds and bunnies all on the same piece of property. Since it is illegal to shoot game birds with a rifle in WI, I usually carry a 12 gauge on any outing where a mixed bag is possible.
"Live free or die: death is not the worst of evils." General John Stark

subsonic

Since we're unanimous on the .22, what kind do you like?

What do you think is the best squirrel rifle setup?

One thing I've noticed over time is that they're usually closer rather than farther, and it's easy to shoot under them with a scope sighted for even 25yds, since their head is smaller than the distance from the center of the scope to the center of the bore, and you have to hold "high" up close to get 'em. So for me, a small diameter scope mounted as low as possible is a requirement as is a rifle/ammo combo capable of hitting a bottle cap at 25yds. And I like the old Hanned Line SBG tool for putting a flat point on .22 ammo. Kills great with standard velocity or subsonic ammo and makes less noise than HV HP ammo which doesn't tend to shoot as accurately anyway.

buckshot roberts

We got too complicated......It\'s all way over rated....I like the old and out dated way of life........I miss back when..

gitano

I've used "all of the above", but I'd have to say I prefer to use a .22.

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

greywolf

well i voted .22 in the poll , but i'd use either .22 or .410 , but i must agree that the .22 is definately more fun , i have 3 to choose from, a savage .22 magnum, a winchester . 22 long rifle , and an old cooey .22 , i personallt like my new  savage .22 magnum , with a simple , cheap little tasco scope on it , works just fine for me :)
- Fire up the grill ! \'Cause huntin , ain\'t catch and release!

-www.torontothebad.com.... help us fight bad gun laws ! boycott toronto!

Smokepole

My first choice if strickly huntin squirrel would be my T/C .32 cal muzzle loader using a .310 round ball, .012 patch, and 15 grs 3fff.

Second choice. 16 ga trade gun with what ever happens to be in the barrel (shot size).

Abolt.270

I voted 20ga. Mostly because I grew up hunting with that. A single shot break action 20 ga was my first gun. I have also used a .22 semi-auto remington, which is a little more sporty. I guess I just hate to miss.

bowhunter 51

I voted 22, using standard velocity ammo thru my Ruger '77 for serious
squirrel huntin'....Although, I have taken some with my 45 cal. muzzler'
for fun...Great pre-deer huntin' practice...love to see the fur fly.........BH51..
**********God Bless America**********
>>>>-----------Live to Hunt--------------->>
>>>>-----There is no off season--------->>

Tags: