Go Back   The Hunter's Life > GUNS & AMMO > FIREARMS & OPTICS

WHY IS THE 2 3/4 " SHOTSHELL NO GOOD ANYMORE?
Old 03-30-2005, 12:30 AM
m gardner

Cowboy WHY IS THE 2 3/4 " SHOTSHELL NO GOOD ANYMORE?

In the past two months I've purchased two Model 1100 Remington shotguns in new condition. One standard model for $200.00 and an upland model with a straight stock and 21 inch barrel for $300.00. The owners lamented that they needed 3 1/2 inch guns to kill waterfowl. I really can't think of anything I couldn't kill at reasonable ranges with a 2 3/4 inch Hevishot load. How did we ever get any game in the good old days? I was forced to use a 16 gauge until I was in my 20's and never suffered. I used a 12 gauge blackpowder double just for fun for years too. I really like getting good guns for these prices, but how did we get into this state of affairs? God bless and good shooting.

Re: WHY IS THE 2 3/4 " SHOTSHELL NO GOOD ANYMORE?
Old 03-30-2005, 01:48 AM
Senior Family Member

Kanibal is on a distinguished road
Default Re: WHY IS THE 2 3/4 " SHOTSHELL NO GOOD ANYMORE?

Welcome to the new bigger, faster, stronger, power starved America and thank you for chosing Bigger is Better Tours. If you look on your left youll see a compound bow and on your right, if you look closely youll notice a Remington Ultra Mag.

Old 03-30-2005, 06:06 AM
Senior Family Member

Brithunter is on a distinguished road

Hi All,

Duh ?????????????? well I must remember that my English side by side which only has 2 1/2" chambers cannot now kill anything and I must retire it and rush out and get a 3 1/2" chambered gun as the squirrels are just sooooooooooooooooooooooooo much tougher nowadays. Must be the kevlar their wearing

Now I do have a 2 3/4" chambered O/U by Baikal which I have used with Bismuth to drop a couple of Canada Geese with, Oh the Goose didn't complain just dropped out of the sky, got it's own back though fell right inot a Bramble thicket this was inland shooting as they came off a stubble field .

Nice catch, don't complain just nod sweetly and then run like hell with the goods before they realise just how dumb they are

Old 03-30-2005, 08:46 AM
Senior Family Member

Fortunate Son is on a distinguished road

I fully agree with the opinions expressed here. We seem to have gone overboard on the magnum view.

Awhile back I bought a Remington 1100 3 inch 12 ga from my dad and find I seldom use it. I much prefer the 16 double for general use. But then, I am not a long range duck/goose hunter. Guess that is one of the things that makes this game so interesting, all the differenet views...

Old 03-30-2005, 12:39 PM
Senior Family Member

Rohann is on a distinguished road

Good point Brithunter.

It's the same deal with centerfire cartridges. With all these new gimmicks they're bringing out, people keep thinking "I need more power!", and buying ridiculous cartridges such as the .25 WSSM, the RUM's, etc. for deer hunting. A 2 3/4" will do fine for anything, don't let anyone fool you into thinking that you "need" a 3" or 3 1/2" to do the job.

-Rohann

Old 03-30-2005, 04:38 PM
Senior Family Member

Gmoney is on a distinguished road

Most shotguns I have patterned have actually shot better with 2 3/4 inch shells vs. 3 and 3 1/2 inchers......I also agree with the opinions above and will continue to shoot my teensy eensy little bitty 2 3/4 inch loads and will continue to knock things out of the sky and ground with regularity....

Old 03-30-2005, 05:30 PM
Family Member

MrRee is on a distinguished road

PETA is working on a 5 inch Mag shell for all to use !! You may not hit squat with it, but your broken shoulder will keep you from hurting any more of the things they love !!

I am gonna stick with 2 3/4 and get them as I have done for many years.

Old 03-30-2005, 05:59 PM
ADMINISTRATOR

Daryl (deceased) will become famous soon enoughDaryl (deceased) will become famous soon enough

It's a rare shotgun that patterns better with the longer shells.

I'm so far behind the times that my findings don't matter much though. Heck, I'm still huning with a 2 3/4 inch 20 gauge single shot shotgun, for pete's sake!

Still, the birds must pity me some; for they still seem to obligingly die when I shoot at them.

Daryl

RIP Linden33

Old 03-30-2005, 08:49 PM
Senior Family Member

drinksgin (deceased) is on a distinguished road

I must admit to being a 3" fan, BUT, it's a .410 sxs, squirrels, rabbits, coons,crows doves, quail, ducks and even a dumb cackler that made the mistake of comeing over too close[ducks and goose were pre no lead rules] have made the last roundup with 3/4, now 11/16 oz of #6's.
In my 20ga sxs, which has 3" chambers , I have never used anything except 2 3/4" 7/8 or 1 oz loads and have never felt undergunned.
Don ;D

Old 03-30-2005, 11:36 PM
Senior Family Member

teddy12b is on a distinguished road
Cowboy Re: WHY IS THE 2 3/4 " SHOTSHELL NO GOOD ANYMORE?

I do understand the arguement you are trying to make here. I'm not quite so sure what the big craze is with 3 1/2 magnum shotgun shells. I think it's just for the guys that spend entirely to much time with a shotgun and want to use it like a rifle. I have a lot of guns in my one dozen collection that covers about everything I really would ever want to use. Out of the 12 I have one shotgun. My remington 870 that I bought used and has never failed me. Best $150 bucks I ever spent in my life.

On the other hand. For the rifle side I do think that a RUM is way to much power for use on deer. The only real reason I have for disliking the short magnums is because I think the bullets just look weird. I can understand a guy wanting to use a RUM on very large and dangerous game, because I happen to own one. My 300 RUM will never be taken out on a deer hunting trip, but it will be going for bear, elk, and moose. My good old 30/30 is my favorite deer gun. I think something important to remember here is that only time will truely tell. I'm sure all kinds of hunters thought the 300 win mag was too much power when it first came out. Now it's considered an amzing elk gun. Some day I may be considered a fool for my RUM or a genious for buying one. Either way I'm happy with that purchase and someday hopefully my kids and grandkids will enjoy it as well.

I'm not trying to side track your post, just trying to stick up for the RUM guys on this forum.

The answer your original question, as far as a shotgun is concerned my 2 3/4 shells have never let me down.