Go Back   The Hunter's Life > GUNS & AMMO > MAKING STUFF

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next

Re: Grading 8mm Bullet Jackets
Old 04-12-2015, 05:18 PM
Administrator

gitano is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Grading 8mm Bullet Jackets

Interesting, Marcus. I didn't know you shot F-CLass. I'm pretty much on board with all you have said.

I decided to go ahead and make some bullets and test the paper-whipping. I like to 'crunch numbers' because it gives me a feel for what's going on. Helps me troubleshoot problems too. However, there's no substitute for "doin' it", and that was the case this afternoon. I started setting up the press and dies to start making cores. To keep it short, because the handle of the press hits the floor before the press cams over, AND because I have 'ruptured' my bench with the swaging press, it's currently difficult to get a consistent stroke. Therefore, I get a range of core weights of about 0.5 grains.

So, sighing a heavy sigh, I started grading the cores. After I had 10 of them made, I thought it time to match the cores with the jackets. At first, I was of course weighing each and putting them together. That was 'dissatisfying'. Then it dawned on me that I was making it more difficult than necessary. All I needed to do was get a core and start putting the core in the jackets from the appropriate bin, (the one where the sum of the weight of the jacket and the core yielded the desired bullet weight). I tried jackets until I got the exact weight I was after. In this case, 123.5 grains. Doing that, I made 10 bullets.

Upon completion, I weighed all of the bullets individually, and all came out exactly 123.5 grains. No variance within the level of precision of my scale - 0.1 grain. Then I put them all in the pan and got their cumulative weight -1,235.1 grains. That means of course that their individual weight shouldn't vary my more than 0.01 grains per bullet. Of course there could be larger errors up to 0.05 grains that cancel each other out, but I'm pleased with getting weights as 'tight' as this. VERY pleased.

That's the 'good news'. Of course a 123.5-grain bullet with a diameter of 0.323" doesn't have much of a caliber-sized bearing surface. In fact, it's only 0.150". That's less than 50% of caliber. I try not to seat bullets less than 67% of a caliber deep into a case. The bullet is 0.712" long. That means that there is 0.562" of "nose". Doesn't sound like a "stable" bullet to me. In fact, what it does sound like is a perfect bullet for a sabot. But then nobody makes sabots for 8mm bullets. (Like a .338 caliber sabot with an 8mm cavity.)

Anyway, I think I'm going to shoot for something in the 140-grain class. That should give me a reasonable bearing surface and a good exposed-lead nose. I'm thinking about it's use in the AR-10 in an .308 Win case. The 8-08.

Pictures at ll.

Paul

Tags
8mm, anvb, bullet jacket, swaging