Default Re: The .17 Predator on a Savage Axis Action

looks great!

Re: The .17 Predator on a Savage Axis Action
Old 11-18-2014, 12:29 PM
Administrator

gitano is on a distinguished road

Thanks, fellas.

The construction/fabrication phase is essentially complete. The only tasks left are to blue/black the barrel and the muzzle cut and 'polished' to its final dimensions. We are now on to the next phase which is load development. I've started a new thread for that discussion. http://thehunterslife.com/forums/sho...401#post135401

As a final note, let me make the following comments:

Given the way the (almost) final product looks, I feel a comment or two should be made with respect to what might be perceived as no small amount of hypocrisy on my part with respect to what this 'thing' looks like. It is without doubt a bit "Buck Rogers" in appearance, and I am known to have bad-mouthed on more than one occasion the LOOKS of rifles that even tended towards a Buck Rogers look. I must admit, guilty as charged! Let me offer the following in defense of my apparent hypocrisy.

First, if I had my 'druthers', this is not what this rifle would look like. Were money and time of no importance, it would probably be Farquarson (Ruger No. 1) action with some nice (but not ridiculous) walnut stock pieces and a "good" piece of 'glass' on top. But, money and time ARE significant in my life, and what you see as a final product allows me to complete this project and have a WORKING firearm. In the grand scheme of things, I still believe one should do their 'best' to obtain/build the "best" they can, so "money" and "time" are valid 'excuses', but I willingly acknowledge that they are nonetheless excuses.

Also, a small justification (or is it rationalization ) for 'the look' is that in use, this rifle approaches a "bench" gun. (I've actually ordered a bipod for the thing! ) In my mind, "bench" guns have no "beauty" to start with, so there is no 'standard' of beauty for how they should look. All they have to do is shoot straight.

So, please accept my qualified mea culpa with respect to how this thing looks. In the end of life, 'things' tend to be much grayer than they are in youth.

Thanks for the encouragement and compliments!

Paul

Last edited by gitano; 11-18-2014 at 12:49 PM..

Old 11-18-2014, 03:19 PM
Senior Family Member

farmboy is on a distinguished road

Personally i thought it was brilliant starting with the axis action. I have spent years looking for actions at the right price this was a good idea.

Old 11-20-2014, 06:13 AM
Super Moderator

22hornet is on a distinguished road

That rifle has turned out alright Paul. A bit heavy for me but obviously the rifle has a purpose to fill and that weight is OK by you.
If money was no option? I certainly understand what you mean. But doing the build had having direct ownership of this rifle must count to alot too.

Old 11-20-2014, 10:44 AM
Administrator

Thanks, fellas!

Paul

Old 11-20-2014, 11:08 AM
Senior Family Member

Paul Hoskins is on a distinguished road

Paul, when doing a project like this just to see what can be achieved, appearance is secondary. You should see some of my contraptions over the years. A few could be mistaken for for a blank firing mole trap. In fact I did make such a beast. Had to take it apart because neighbors kids liked setting it off for the noise. I still have a 38 caliber "shotgun" on a Low Wall Win. action with no fore end piece. Been that way for 30 years or more. .....Paul H

Old 11-23-2014, 06:56 PM
Administrator

I think we are kindred spirits, Paul.

Paul

Tags
.17 caliber, .17 predator, action wrench, axis, barrel profile, chambering, fire-forming, lathe, mill, obt, ocw, optimal barrel timing, optimal charge weight, savage, switch barrel, threading, wildcat