Go Back   The Hunter's Life > GUNS & AMMO > RELOADING

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next

Range report .243 BSA
Old 10-14-2007, 05:19 PM
Senior Family Member

Brithunter is on a distinguished road
Default Range report .243 BSA

Hi All,

Well on the way to the range I stopped off and brouhgt a box of Federal 100 Grn Hi-Shock ammo to compare against the 100 Grn Rem Express Core-Lockt. I was not sure how the rifle would perform as I only test fired it at 40 paces and it was inconclusive. Now after a few shots I noticed that the scope mounts were sliding on the dovetail again. Careful examination showed that the clamps were catching on the sides of the ring. Luckily I ahd a file in my range box so off it came a a few strokes to each corner and back it went on.

Now shooting the rifle is a real pleasure providing you wear ear protection however I am not conviced about the accuracy ....................................... inconsistant is what I will call it groups are not consistant in shape or size, I even got another shooter to try it to eliminate me as the problem, I wonder if it could be a mismatch with the 100 Grn Bullet so I brought a box of Rem 80 Grn on the way home to try next time. However the scope is one I brought used so I have found another set of mounts and robbed a scope off another rifle, one I have had for some years and know it's not dicky so I will try it with this scope next time and with the one I just took off to compare it. I will set the one I fitted today with the collimeter to match to first one so it should be zeroed.

Seeing as how I have re-built the bedding it could well be I have made an error but a few more test sessions will hopefully show if this is the case.