Oh well I brought a bow outfit

Started by Brithunter, September 10, 2009, 09:51:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brithunter

Hi All,

After unseccessfully trying to win a few bow outfits to get me started and failing I have bitten the bullet and brought a complete used set up. Not quite what I had in mind originally but it seemed too good to pass up:-

Adult Archery Set - Excellent condition.
Includes:
Hoyt Vector Limbs - 36lb
Spigarelli Handle + spare grip
Arten Long Rod
Summit Sight
String & stringer
Easton Longshot Platinum Arrows - 20lb lite x 8
Longshot Quiver
Chestguard, finger guard, wrist guard.
Spare fletches & fletch adhesive.
Stand

Well that's what I brought. I did e-mail the seller and asked some questions and it's just not being used now due to change in work so he no longer gets the time now to go tot eh Archery club and his son has got to that teenage stage where cars and girls are seemingly more inportant :confused:  so now the wait begins.
Go Get them Floyd!

davidlt89

Good for you BH, can't wait to see some pics! God Bless.
Romans 12:2

2 Don't copy the behavior and customs of this world, but let God transform you into a new person by changing the way you think. Then you will learn to know God's will for you, which is good and pleasing and perfect.

gitano

Sounds like a good start BH. Waiting for pics of dead targets... :D

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

Brithunter

Hmmm dead targets ...................... Hmmm well after last night performance :hanged:

Get the picture :o using a clubs 20lb draw recurve I managed to catch the string on the sleeve of my sweatshirt three times and of course the arrow did an impression of an out of control rocket fish-tailing down range and missing the target entirely :frown . Of course having the sights set for a shorter range, and not knowing it, didn't help a lot lost several arrows over the top of the target which were found fairly easily in the short mown grass.

However it seems that my rifle shooting is getting in the way :( as I place my weight on the front foot instead of standing with it balanced on both and also my head is slanted forwards rather than being erect. All which needs to be addressed it seems.

Now hopefully this new setup will arrive before next Wednesday's club meeting and we can get it set up for me. If this happens I will buy a straw target roundal from the club and then can also practice at home. Once we get it in our hands and know arrow weight and length I will get some more practice arrows and once I am able to group the arrows fairly well perhaps I should then use that full size Whitetail cardboard target that I brought some time back :smiley: .
Go Get them Floyd!

Brithunter

Ahhhh the set up arrived this morning which surprised me as it came by post and I didn't expect it to arrive until Wednesday or there abouts. So a pleasent surprise :biggthumpup: . Now on opening the package I got a surprise as for some stupid reason I had convinced myself that this was a compound bow :Banghead: why I don't know as it's a recurve which is what I originally wanted. It took me a little while to figure out how to affix the Hoyt limbs properly to the Spigarell.I riser then got it strung using the stringer. Put the sights on and the Button, so far so good :smiley: , then I tried drawing the Bow :eek: Hmmm it seems that I "REALLY and I mean REALLY need to improve my fitness. Of course I did think it was a compound for some daft reason :oops: so it looks like a lighter set of limbs are in my future!. Once I am sure what type I need that is :biggthumpup: then a pair of limbs of around 20-24lb methinks as while I can draw the 36lbs hoyt "Vector" Foam limbs that came with the bow until I am accustomed to doing so holding it on draw whilst I get good sight alingment and a clean release might be troublesome :shy: .

I will now go look and buy some practice arrows, i.e cheaper ones so saving these Eastern Platinums for when I have improved a bit :greentongue: . Oh and I will speak to Malcome the clubs string guru about making up a new string so I have a spare Just in case!

Edit:-  Ok so I just brought :-

10X ARMEX ALLOY ALUMINIUM ARROWS 30"-LONG

10X FIBREGLASS ARROWS 31"-LONG

We will see which I get on best with :greentongue:  yeah I know long arrows but the Eastern's that came with it are 29 1/2" long so .................................. The alloy shafts have screw in points so I can perhaps try some broadheads at a later date :smiley: but that's another entirely different learning curve. Tradition fixed blade, three bladed, mechanical :confused: I have even seen one that claims to  fly the same as a practice arrow :stare: needing no sight adjustment............................... Not sure what to make of that :confused: . Now I just need a straw target backer and a frame to hold it and a bit of carpet to hang behind the straw as an arrow catcher and I can let a few fly on the field.
Go Get them Floyd!

gitano

QuoteHmmm it seems that I "REALLY and I mean REALLY need to improve my fitness
Now I suspect my comments about "light" draw weights have more meaning. :)

I did some work years ago with a couple of different bows, measuring the "muzzle velocity" of different arrows from different bows. The results were very educational, and things got much, much simpler for me thereafter. It's ALL about arrow weight. NOTHING else matters to velocity and therefore trajectory. If you wanna shoot faster/flatter use a lighter arrow. So...

For me, I select the lightest-spined arrows that will handle my bow's peak draw weight, and the lightest heads. In Alaska, the law mandates a minimum arrow weight for big game hunting arrows. (I realize this isn't an issue for you BH, but you may find some kernel of general value.) I therefore use graphite shafts and 90-grain heads. That puts me right at the minimum weight requirement of 240 grains. For those that "worry" that "light-for-caliber" arrows are "inadequate", a few years back I poked a big cow moose at about 40 yds with the above arrow and she went down like a sack of rocks. I was shooting from below and the arrow entered right behind the shoulder and angled up hitting the bottom of the spine. She never regained her feet and the arrow passed completely through.

My point is: Get some light draw-weight limbs, and some lightly-spined arrows, and shoot the heck outta those targets and have fun doin' it!

Paul[/COLOR][/SIZE]
Be nicer than necessary.

Brithunter

Thank you for your insight :biggthumpup: that is just what I need. Now I don't know quite how old this bow set up is but I cannot find Vectors on Hoyt's site so I am assuming it's a few years old now.

Now looking at this website and the price of new lighter limbs :-

http://www.merlinarcherycentre.co.uk/acatalog/T-Rex_Carbon_Limbs.html

it mentions the riser height so I just opened the case and meaured it. This alloy one is 25" and I don't know at the moment the length of the assembled Bow as it was not mentioned and I have not measured it however the Hoyt limbs are marked " AMO H25 36lbs" so I am assuming their length is 25" and taking into account the way they fit I am gussing that the assembled Bow is 68" in length. When I have it assembled again I will measure it.

Meanwhile I have weighed one of the Eastern Platinum 2016 Lite ...XX75 arrows and it weighs 466 grains with it's normal target point. Mind you it was a pain to get it balanced on my Lyman scales scoop :Banghead: .

However it does not matter that I will get some lighter limbs as it does not alter the fact that I need to improve my general fitness level especially upper body and shoulders. I am still aching with shooting pains occasionally after weilding the petrol hedge trimmer for a while the other day (Friday) and I still have a few hundred feet of hedge to trim :stare: .

I will discuss with you the subject of broadheads at some later date as yes I do wish to experiment with them in the future.
Go Get them Floyd!

Tags: