Navy Arms Martini in .25 Krag - Oooh Baby...

Started by gitano, January 27, 2009, 03:56:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kombi1976

Paul, I think I've said it before, but I hate you. :angry: :D
That is a brilliant rifle and the chambering is very similar to 303/25.
A lovely trade.
I hope my Martini Enfield looks half that good one day.
Cheers & God Bless
22lr ~ 22 Hornet ~ 25-20 ~ 303/25 ~ 7mm-08 ~ 303 British ~ 310 Cadet ~ 9.3x62 ~ 450/400 N.E. 3"

gitano

Thanks kombi. I'm very pleased. I was having 'separation axiety' thinking about parting with the TCR 'till I saw this. At that point, my response to the other fella was a hasty "You got a deal!"

Quotethe chambering is very similar to 303/25.

In fact, I think it is essentially the same thing considering these cases are made from .303 Brit cases. Of course it has been "Ackley'd" but if the .303/25 were Ackley'd, it'd be the same cartridge.

I've been playing with QuickLoad after I got the brass, and there are some interesting numbers for the Speer 120 BTSP. It carries over 1450 ft-lbs out to 300 yds with a chamber pressure of only 45 kPSI and has an impact velocity over 2300 f/s. That oughta be a serious goat-getter and "roo-router".

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

kombi1976

It seems essentially to be the same as 25 Epps then.
Your only issue maybe the bbl twist.
If it's 1:12" you'll have trouble with anything over 100gr, 110gr at the most.
But if it's 1:10" as it should be then you'll be fine.
Beats me why people still chamber 308 Win with a 1:12" twist but there you go.
Only way you can find out is by shooting the thing.
Actually, I'll have to ring the gunsmith and find out what twist he used for my 8mm.
Cheers & God Bless
22lr ~ 22 Hornet ~ 25-20 ~ 303/25 ~ 7mm-08 ~ 303 British ~ 310 Cadet ~ 9.3x62 ~ 450/400 N.E. 3"

Jorge in Oz

Beautiful rifle Paul. You've done well. Never heard of 25 Krag but as Kombi said must be similar to the 303-25.
"The Germans brought the best hunting rifle to the war. The Americans brought the best target rifle. The British brought the best battle rifle!"

"The early church was married to poverty, prisons and persecutions. Today, the church is married to prosperity, personality, and popularity." ― Leonard Ravenhill

gitano

Thanks Jorge. So far, we both think we got the better end of the deal. Actually, I think after all is added up, it's pretty close. The TCR-83 Aristocrat with its two barrels and original Thompson 'scope and mounts was worth about $1400 to $1600. The Martini is worth somewhere between $600 and $700; the Unertl about $600 to $800; the dies about $150. So the package is worth something like $1350 to $1650. Emotions aside, I think the trade was pretty square.

The fellow I traded with told me he already has a TCR-83 Aristocrat, but my receiver is much better than his. He intends to take the wood off of his receiver and put it on "mine", and sell his receiver and the original .308 Win barrel. His interest is primarily in the custom .257 RAI barrel.

Kombi - The .303 Epps Improved has a case capacity (according to QL) of 63 grains of water. My case has a measured capacity of 61.44 grains of water. That grain-and-a-half difference could be the difference in neck diameter. (QL doesn't have a .303/25 Epps Improved.) So I'd say it is just about a .303/.25 Epps Improved.

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

kombi1976

I'd say you have a great rifle on your hands, Paul.
Cheers & God Bless

gitano

I was admiring this thing when I realized I hadn't weighed it yet. It weighs 13 pounds 3 ounces. :eek:

I don't know how much of that is the Unertl, but it's probably at least 2 pounds. I think the Unertl is gonna hafta 'go' - at least off of this rifle.

Up to 11 pounds, I really couldn't care less about weight, (except that I don't like rifles that are too light). Once over 11 pounds, I start looking at "why" and what the rifle's primary use is. This rifle is going to have to change if it's going to be a hunting arm. Or... I'm gonna hafta become a benchrest shooter. And that ain't likely.

Paul

PS - The 'scope weighs 2 pounds 9 ounces. That makes the rifle's weight 10 pounds 10 ounces.

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

kombi1976

I think it might be time for a lightweight scope, Paul.
Anything in mind?
Cheers & God Bless

gitano

When I 'think' Martini, 'scopes don't come to mind Kombi. I think the first consideration would be a "banded" front sight, and "express" rear sight. Just like I have on the 50 Alaskan.

In fact, I've already been thinking about reboring to the .416 x.348 Win too. I'm sure that's a ways out, simply because 1) I can't get Cutrifle to respond to phone calls or emails, and 2) I don't want to wait 6 months at least to be able to shoot this rifle. But... The idea of this rifle in .416 is very appealing. I'm sure I could get a new .416 barrel on it and chamber it myself. However, the .257 barrel that's currently on it, just as it was on my other Martini, is very nice. It matches the blue of the receiver, and it fits the forearm - both important matters to me. Boring out to .416 would lighten the rifle's weight considerably - probably to near or under 9 lbs.

Keeping the rifle chambered for the .25 Krag AI is good reason to consider a 'scope though. Open sights at 300, (200 for that matter), at game I'd use a .25 caliber on, are kinda challenging for my aging eyes. Although...:bulb2: Now that I think of it, the Sodia Cape Gun has a very effective, (tiny), rear aperture that makes it easy to see the gun's sights and the target. There's a thought; but I'd hafta figure out how to get a rear peep to fit on this rifle and have it look "right".

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

davidlt89

Beatiful gun my friend!!!! I don't particularly care for the scope, but then again I don't know much about them. Have fun:D . God Bless.
Romans 12:2

2 Don't copy the behavior and customs of this world, but let God transform you into a new person by changing the way you think. Then you will learn to know God's will for you, which is good and pleasing and perfect.

gitano

Quote from: davidlt89;89424Beatiful gun my friend!!!! Thanks!

I don't particularly care for the scope, (It's already off.) but then again I don't know much about them. (Neither do I.)

Have fun:D . I expect to.

God Bless. Right back atcha.

Paul.....
Be nicer than necessary.

22hornet

"Belief:" faith in something taught, as opposed to "knowledge:" which is awareness borne of experience.

gitano

No, 22. I've been pretty 'hard at it' for the last two months. Plus, I'm still mulling over how to get the barrel rebored to .416 and chambered for the .416x.348 Win. Considering the other 'irons' in the fire, this rifle's metamorphosis is fairly low on my priority list.

Thanks for asking though. I honestly do appreciate being reminded of my languishing projects.

Paul

PS - Here is the picture of the brass I promised. The .22/.30-30 seen on the left is what my first Martini (the Martini-Enfield that is now chambered in .50 Alaskan) was chambered in. In the middle is the .257 Roberts AI that the TCR-83 was chambered in (as well as .308 Win), and the .25 Krag AI is on the right.

Paul

PPS - I still haven't checked the twist rate on the Krag.
Be nicer than necessary.

Tags: