Wildcat Cartridge Series - 338x57 MAI

Started by LLANOJOHN (deceased), December 21, 2004, 07:30:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LLANOJOHN (deceased)

Well, I had to start a thread on this "off-spring" designed by Gitano & yours truly. While not a 'super magnum' we are both of the opinion that it does find a place in the scheme of things.
I do not have a scanner so I will not be able to post the results of "Load From A Disk" but I hope to have these results scanned and posted soon.

How did this particular cartridge come about? During one of our many discussions Paul and I discussed a 338 caliber cartridge that would fit/function well in one of the many surplus Mauser actions available today. I had remembered reading a number of years ago about a cartridge designed by gunsmith Charles M. O'Neil in the late 1940's or early '50s. It was called the .33-50 O'Neil or the .33 Mauser. O'Neil was also one of the designers of the .333 OKH which was a popular wildcat in its day. If you are interested in the history of this wildcat or many of the other wildcat designs I urge you to purchase "Wildcat Cartridges" by Ken Waters.

Paul is/was of the opinion that the 200-210 grain quality bullets would be the best combination of velocity/bullet weight for most of the animals hunted in Alaska, excluding the Brown & Polar bears.

I am still in the process of completing rifles in this caliber for Paul and I. Pics will be posted when they are completed. Paul and I do not expect hunters/shooters will be "standing in line" to have a rifle built in this caliber/cartridge. In fact, there may only be two in existance when all is said and done. After all....."you don't throw the baby out with the bath water", do you?

Ol' John...
Life Member-NRA-TSRA
Riflesmith-Bolt & Lever Centerfires Only
Left-Hand Creek Rifles
Mark Twain was right-"There is no such thing as too much good whiskey!"
My best advice.."Best to stay outta trees and offa windmills!"

Jay Edward (deceased)

Here is some info that John was disseminating about this cartridge.

Tags: