The Four Steyr Brothers

Started by gitano, December 03, 2007, 11:13:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gitano

Even though this is about making cartridges, it goes hand-in-hand with the "Steyr Project" thread at this site, so I decided to post it here in Firearms & Optics.

Attached you will find a photo of the four cartridges based on the .376 Steyr case for which I am building rifles. They are from left to right:

1) The parent cartridge - The .376 Steyr.
2) The .358 Steyr,
3) The .338 Steyr, and
4) The .323 Steyr. (I won't call this the 8mm Steyr, because that label is already confused.)

A couple of days ago, I received from Hornady a Custom Grade Bushing Type Neck Sizing die. This die has interchangable bushings that allow custom sizing of the neck of the particular case in question. In my case, I had the chambering reamers made for each of the cartidges so that they had exactly the same headspace. Therefore, using this die, I only have to change the bushing to resize any of the four cases. That's the good news.

The bad news is that Hornady does not make any bushings above .30 caliber unless special ordered, and none above .338 regardless. The good news is, I now have machinery to make my own bushings, and have. Tonight I made the .358 and 8mm bushings only, as I have the means to resize the .376 and .338 case necks without having to use the Hornady die. Still, I will make bushings for the .376 and .338 shortly. Won't be long before I actually have these rifles in hand. :D I'm still practicing my thread cutting, and when I"m satisfied that I can do it to my own standards, I'll start chambering barrels.

The first out of the chute will be the .358 Steyr. The second the .376. The third and fourth will both be .323s. One chambered to shoot the 195-grain Hornady International, and one to shoot the Sierra 125 Spitzer. I don't have a spare .338 barrel in hand at the moment, and I still have my .338 MAI to blood, so the .338 Steyr will bring up the rear. I am seriously considering a .411 Steyr. I bought some 300-grain .405 Win bullets (.411" in diameter :Banghead: ) and looking at them I am impressed. I think they would fit the .376 Steyr case well. That rifle might get made before the .338 too. :D

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

Hunterbug

I am waiting patiently for my .358 Steyr. FYI I'll need it by the end of June so that I have time to work out any kinks before elk season. ;)
Ask not what your government can do for you. Ask how your government can go away and get out of your life.

The unarmed man is is not only defenseless, he is also contemptible.
Niccolo Machiavelli

gitano

"Patiently" being the operative word. :)

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

klallen

Interesting.

I read about a feller doing some work with the Steyr case on a wildcat site I tinkered around on some years back.  Can't find the darn place anymore.  Seemed like he did a .358, .338 and a .308 version.  And was talking about a .416 version but don't know if he ever got to that.  Can't remember what he was claiming for velocity performance of the rounds he did do but it wasn't bad.  Kinda impressive, really.

I'd like to have an "off the beaten path" .375 cartridge in the safe and with the advent of the .375 Ruger have been flip-flopping back and forth between that and the Steyr.  Might never get to either but we'll see.

Looking forward to reading about your performance results from the range.

gitano

Personally, I think the .376 Steyr had "a tough row to hoe" even before the introduction of the .375 Ruger. I read that the case is an entirely new design - starting from scratch. As such, it has an "odd" nominal head size at 0.507" and a nominal rim size of 0.496". With the "standard" '06/x57 case head being 0.473", and the "magnum" being 0.535" the Steyr doesn't fit standard actions without some, even if slight, modification. In my opinion, that's the commercial kiss of death for a new cartridge.

Once the Ruger cartridge was introduced, with it's 0.535" head and the Ruger (American) name attached, the .376's commercial fate was sealed as far as I can see. Why buy a rifle chambered for a "wierd" "European" cartridge when a "normal" "American" cartridge is available that has the same or "better" performance? (In the US "better" unfortunately meaning higher claimed velocity.) I recently had occasion to stop in a Cabela's in Olympia WA, that was having its grand opening. I asked if they had a box of .376 Steyr ammo on hand, as I wanted to show it to the person I was with. The sales person looked at me completely at a loss. He was totally unaware of the cartridge. He asked me if what I "meant" was the .375 Ruger. :Banghead:

My personal interest in the Steyr case derives from it's practically "perfect" (in my opinion) dimensions. At 59 mm it is just slightly longer than the classic x57 case, and therefore, still allows use of the "non-magnum" receiver. Its 0.501" head (and 0.475" shoulder) offers considerably more case capacity than the x57 case, but requires only the slightest enlargement of the standard bolt face to accommodate the larger rim.

The Ruger is an outstanding cartridge too. It was wise (in my opinion) for Ruger to eliminate the belt but keep the standard magnum head diameter. I don't have a drawing of the Rugar case at hand, but I think its capacity is slightly larger than the Steyr case. If I was in the market for an over-the-counter rifle in a "big" bore, the Ruger would be at or near the top of my list.

As for .376 Steyr wildcats, I have already seen reamers offered by a couple of reamer suppliers in .30 and 6.5 calibers. The 6.5 seems a tad small for the Steyr case to me, but I've seen much worse. I wouldn't hesitate to make a 7mm Steyr though. The problem with a 7mm Steyr is that the 7mm RM is such a good cartridge. A 7mm Steyr cartridge would be only for those that wanted or needed to fit a case to a standard action.

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

klallen

Yeah, I think Ruger hit the ball out of the park with the advent of their .375 .  Seems like a well thought out case design.  Even if someone isn't necessarily in the market for a dangerous game round, that darn case just screams to be wildcatted.  Be interesting to see what direction Ruger chooses to go with it by expanding the family or not.  Was able to put my hands on a Ruger Hawkeye African .375 Ruger for the first time today at one of the locals.  All I could do to keep from putting the thing on lay-away as a Christmas gift to myself.

gitano

Just moving this to the "top" in light of the other "cartridge" threads I started.

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

kombi1976

I agree about the 375 Ruger.
Get a "run 'o the mill" 338 WM factory rifle like a Wby Vanguard or Howa with the Hogue stock and switch the bbl over.
Hey presto! A magnum with more power than the ol' H&H and no action length or case stretching issues like the classic round.
I reckon a 404 Ruger (.423" cal) would be a real cracker though.
Woodleigh make some good bullets for that cal.
The only drawback would be the cost of brass and getting dies and a reamer.
Cheers & God Bless
22lr ~ 22 Hornet ~ 25-20 ~ 303/25 ~ 7mm-08 ~ 303 British ~ 310 Cadet ~ 9.3x62 ~ 450/400 N.E. 3"

gitano

I've been wanderering the countryside lately looking for single-shot actions. A friend of mine that owns a local pawshop showed me a Riger No.1 in .375 Ruger. According to him, only 375 of them were made in a special production run. That would be a nice rifle to have. Only trouble with it was that it was stainless with the gray laminate stock. Oy! I'd hafta color the metal some how, and change the wood to walnut.

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

sakorick

I own 3 Steyrs.... A 1943 K98 BNZ RC, a 1942 K98 BNZ Sporter, both 8mm Mausers of course and a Mod M half stock with double set triggers circa 1968, 7mm Mauser. I'm really not interested in other Steyrs, however, I'll keep my ears on. The new calibers are....well......new and I am old. Besides, I already have 34 sets of dies. There isn't anything around here that a 7 or 8mm Mauser can't kill quickly.......and I have my Sako 375 H&H for Africa or Alaska should I ever hit the lotto.:laugh: Regards, Rick.
Talk to yourself. There are times you need expert advice.

Tags: