.308 win family questions

Started by LvrLover, March 14, 2007, 07:28:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alboy

I could use a new round toit, got one back in 2000 while in diesel school but have pretty much worn it out and need a new one.

Paul this harmonics program you use, is it available for any one to get? Where would a guy look and how much would he expect to spend?

lvrlover
I like the idea. As far always having the same feel on the weapon, how does that transfer for the scopes or sights as you change barrels?
Alboy
BLACKPOWDER WATERFOWLER
KATY TEXAS PRAIRIE

THIS TOO SHALL PASS

Jay Edward (deceased)

Quote from: Alboy;59401I could use a new round toit, got one back in 2000 while in diesel school but have pretty much worn it out and need a new one.

OK Hoss... here ye be:

gitano

Be nicer than necessary.

Alboy

Alboy
BLACKPOWDER WATERFOWLER
KATY TEXAS PRAIRIE

THIS TOO SHALL PASS

gitano

Quote from: lvrlover;59291The reason is I want to have the same action(maybe a savge 110) with several calibers. They could all use the same magazine. Reasonable logic in my opinion. It has been said to watch out for the man with only one gun cause he probably knows how to use it. True, but I'm not sure a multi-barreled rifle was part of the intent of that saying. If my stock, trigger and scope stay the same it creates repeatability. Also a nice idea, I don't happen to think it will work out that way though. This is just an idea at preasent. That's what dreams are made of. I'm checking on feasability. Very logical. Maybe the same thing could be done with the new short mags from various manufacturers. Another good idea in my opinion. Anyway at this point it is all speculation and informayin gathering. It could be(and probably will be) years before I do anything. This just means you're one of the fraternity. :)

The above is all good reasoning in my opinion, and I would hope that nothing anyone here at THL says, including me, would deter you from pursuing this. The .308 Win case is in my opinion on of the all-time great cases, and I can think of few endeavors that would teach someone more about rifles, in ALL aspects, than a project like this.

Regardless of whether it turns out as you expect or hope, the experience will be invaluable, and not one shred of the whole will have been wasted effort, time or money. The only certainty I am willing to assert is that however it turns out, it won't turn out the way you expect it to. That's not a "bad thing". Most of the firearms experiements I've made over the years were marginal successes from an experimental perspective, but all were great successes as teaching vehicles. So... if you're not going to attend gunsmithing school, and in fact, even if you are, pursue this project. It will make you a better rifleman and teach you more than you can imagine.

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

LLANOJOHN (deceased)

:biggthumpup: :biggthumpup: :biggthumpup: :hat:

I totally agree with what Gitano said.

Ol' John:Banghead:
Life Member-NRA-TSRA
Riflesmith-Bolt & Lever Centerfires Only
Left-Hand Creek Rifles
Mark Twain was right-"There is no such thing as too much good whiskey!"
My best advice.."Best to stay outta trees and offa windmills!"

LvrLover

Hey everybody, my better half has a round-tuit that she hands me when she wants something done. Especially when I'm sitting at the computer.
Alboy as far as scopes go, I see there are some variables that go from 2 to over 10 power now. That should cover elk to prarie dogs pretty well. As far as barrel to barrel impact shifts there are several companies that make lazer bore sighters. You'd just need to make a reference card for each barrel and load.
"Live free or die: death is not the worst of evils." General John Stark

Paul Hoskins

Well, I'm with Paul and John on this. If I had looked at the negative side of any project or job, I would get nothing done. I decide on a project and do it in my own good time no matter what anyone says. It might cost a 7 or 8 hundred dollars more than some factory gun but if I wanted a factory gun I wouldn't be having anything new to play with. What good is a 220 Swift factory gun if you want to use 70 or 80 grain bullets? They don't come with 8 inch twist barrels from the factory. All this negative stuff about barrel harmonics etc, etc is baloney. Who gives a darn if one barrel has a few thousandth's inch more or less wall thickness then the others? Neither does it matter if the barrels don't shoot to the same point either. Once a barrel has been swapped, it is a simple matter to sight it in again. It also gives one another reason to go to the range. Ivrlovers idea is a good, valid idea. It would be neat to have a line of barrels of diffrent caliber for one action based on one parent cartridge. This is exactly what I'm doing with the 219 Savage. I'll have a 22, 6mm, 6.5mm, 7mm and possibly a 30 cal. barrel for this gun in addition to 410, 20, 16 and 12 gauge barrels for it when I'm done..............Ivrlover, go for it. Take your time as you can afford it and don't let anyone discourage you...........Paul H

nrthrn_maine_hunter

I think it is a great idea and even though there may be some differences in the gun with different barrls it will be more similar that if you were using completely different rifles.
Enjoy.
Some things are real whether you believe in them or not!

Tags: