28 gauge "Cartridge"

Started by gitano, November 10, 2004, 09:41:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gitano

I recently received a box of 28 gauge brass shotgun shells (cases) I ordered. I kinda like brass cases in shotguns - no good reason, just pure emotion. Since I don't have all of various wads I need to load shotshells, I was just 'fiddling' around with the cases. Looking at the case, it occured to me that it would make one serious "cartridge". (Common terminology begins to fail here. Let me suggest that for the rest of this discussion we use the term "cartridge" for a case with a bullet, and "shell" for the "regular" shotgun cartridges including those with slugs.) Since I have some .58 caliber cast bullets on hand, I decided to try one in one of the brass cases to see how it fit. Imagine my surprise when I realized that it was a very good fit. Now this won't be ANY surpise to the BP crowd, as it is no coincidence that there are many .58 caliber muzzleloaders out there. 28 gauge is .58 caliber. (Big error here - .28 gauge is NOT .58, 24 gauge is .58. Which makes most of my following comments wrong.)
Gauge ................6......10.....12.....14.....16 ....20.....24.....28.....32

Bore diameter..23.3..19.7..18.5..17.6..16.8..15.9..14.7..14.0..13.4
(millimeters) [/font][/color]

Bore diameter..0.92. 0.77 .0.73..0.69 .0.66..0.63..0.58..0.55..0.526
(inches) [/font][/color]

The wheels really started turning at that point. This particular bullet weighs 500 grains. Another .58 caliber slug I have weighs 450 grains. I was beginning to think I might like to try some of these bullets in a 28 gauge. A SxS 28 would be even more interesting! So... I tried the bullets in the muzzle of one of my 28s. Really too tight. However, most 28s are choked pretty tight, and this one is full and modified, without choke tubes. I tried the bullets in the breech. They basically stopped at the end of the chamber. Clearly, the breech was larger than the muzzles, but not much.

At that point I decided that it probably wouldn't be wise to experiement with my good SxS 28s, and I should go looking for a "cheap" used one or even a cheap used single. Cheap, used 28 gauge shotguns are scarce as hen's teeth. Cheap, SxS 28s don't exist... I thought. However, the internet comes to the rescue again. Baikal makes a SxS 28 gauge that retails for ~$400. Unfortunately, the chokes are fixed at full and modified.

So here are my questions for those that might have answers. I'm not really looking for this "thing" to put 5 shots into an inch at 100 yards. However, 2 into 6" at 100 would be nice. Do you think this is a reasonable expectation from a smooth bore?

I was figuring that I would use the charge for a typical shotgun load of an ounce and an eighth of shot. This typically yields muzzle velocities in the 1000 to 1200 f/s range. Is there anything about a slug (besides the aforementioned chokes) that should cause me change that approach?

I'm thinking of either reaming the chokes to cylinder, or seeing about installing screw-in choke tubes. If I can get the muzzles to take screw-in tubes, I could install rifled tubes. This is very common in larger gauges, and from what I read, substantially improves precision. Does this sound reasonable, and do these rifled tubes genuinely improve precision?

All of this (except the brass cases and bullets) is just so much 'pipe smoke' at this point. But the looks of that cartridge sure got the adrenalin flowing. By the way, to the left of the 28 is a .45-70 gov't case, and to the right is a .338 Win Mag case.

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

drinksgin (deceased)

Paul;

I am working on something similar for 20 gage, .575 Minie'
bullets are a very tight fit in a 20 gage brass case when placed in a shot sleeve.
The minie' I am using is a 430gr Lee [was supposed to be 470gr, but not with my alloy].
I am using Lyman slug loads from the mid 60's, at that time Lyman made a 20 gage slug of about 375 gr and sent it on it's way at about 1600fps with about 40gr of IMR4227, not a quote, just a memory serves me WAG.
I still have the manual and can send a copy of the info if you want it.
:cool: , Don
NRA life, TSRA life, SAF life, GOA, CCRKBA, DEF -CON

gitano

Don,

The fit of the 500 grain Minie in my 28 ga. cases is pretty sloppy. On the other hand, they are a very tight fit in a plastic shell. Maybe if I put it in a shot sleeve it'll fit better. What do you think about the bores? Would I risk bulging a barrel to shoot these Minies (I think they mic at .578") in my 28 gauge SxSs? You say you're using .575s in a 20 ga.!

The truth is, I just want a SxS rifle. I'm just trying to "poor-man" it.

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

English

Gitano, just a thought.  You might want to purchase a NEF single shot .28 guage for the trial and error stages.  These can be had cheaper than the sxs and would be a gun to tinker with before modifying the double.  Just a thought.

Mike
BAD RIVER FIEST

gitano

I was thinking along those very lines -  NEF/H&R - Mike, but I didn't see that they made a 28 though. I'll look again. thanks,

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

drinksgin (deceased)

Paul;

My efforts are with the Lee .575-470 Minie's , as I said , with my alloy , they weigh 430gr, almost 1 oz, I am taking one piece shot shell wad-sleeves  and removing the split sleeves below the bottom of the shot pocket, then wrapping them around the Minie' and loading on a powder- over powder wad and cushion wad , followed with the wrapped bullet  and a card wad with enough oversize to make a good, tight  fit.
I make my wad cutters on my mini lathe.
:D
 Don

gitano

Don,

I'm considering using the 575-470 also, but the 575-500 looks more impressive sticking out of the 28 ga. case. :) For what it's worth, my 575-470 mould also throws a 430 grain bullet using an alloy that is almost pure lead. The 575-500 on the other hand throws a 508 grain bullet from the exact same pot of alloy. I wonder if the "470" is a typo.

Mike,

I found a few of 28 ga. NEF/H&R single shots, both used and new. The question still remains regarding rifled choke tubes. I wonder if I could talk NEF/H&R into making a rifled bbl for their 28 ga.? :)

Now I'm looking at the brass cases I have for the 16s and 12s, and Lee's "larger" moulds. :)

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

drinksgin (deceased)

Paul;
May be a typo, I weighed 10 and the range was 428 to 434 gr.
This is so close to 1 oz I would think any 20ga 1oz load would work.
I chose the .575 diameter because the muzzle diameter of my 24 is .604, full choke, and I did not want to take a chance of swelling the barrel with the solid slug.
I have not been able to find any metal that is less than BHN 10, pure lead is about 5, so I am shooting a pretty hard alloy.
The Lee REAL slugs I loaded in my Bobcat measured BHN 12.5, but after starting with a short starter, went to the bottom easily, so there is some accomodation even in fairly hard alloy, BHN 12.5 equals 18,000 psi.
Happy shooting,Don

English

Man, you start making slugs that size and you'll need a lead mine to fuel your addiction. Better yet a silver mine and you can pretend your the Lone Ranger. Me...I'll be Tonto!

Gitano I'm guessing that the rifled choke tubes would be strictly a custom chore. You might want to sweet talk ole Jay into firing up that machine he's got. :D

Mike

PS Edited to add. If you could find a chunk of a .58 caliber barrel you would have the basis for your choke tube?  Just thinking while I'm typing.
BAD RIVER FIEST

gitano

Dave Corbin told me he had a customer that made solid gold bullets! By my rough calculation, he's spending about $400 every time he pulls the trigger. OOPs - I forgot to add the cost of the primers!:)

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

gitano

:o Please reread the first post.

I have a feeling that 24 gauge shotguns, at least non-muzzleloaders, are a bit scarce.

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

drinksgin (deceased)

Paul;

The new info on the 28 bore size would make it seem a good match for a .50 cal. Minie' in a shotcup.
In my 20ga brass cases, the .575 is loose, but when the sleeve is added, it is a good tight fit.
Lee's .50's are 360 and 354 gr, very close to a 3/4oz load, my old Lyman manual shows a 28 , Ioz load with 1, 3/16" felt wad, 1, .050 card and 32gr IMR 4227, 1200fps.
That would be a starting place if you came down 2 or 3 gr to begin with.
Manual also shows a 20ga slug, 353gr, 1, H wad, 1, 1/4" felt wad ,1, .135 card, 52gr IMR4227 and 1575fps, but this is 20, not 28.
Don:)

English

GOLD!!!:eek: :eek: :eek:   Man alive the guy musta been Bill Gates or something.  While I can see the prestige of saying you did something like that the practicality of it is....well non-existent.  I bet he didn't plink with too many of them at the range.

Mike
BAD RIVER FIEST

Hobie

So, you're talking a "magnum" version of the Snider cartridge...   I like those brass cases, too.  Just got some 12 ga.

Tags: