Plovers

Started by sakorick, June 18, 2022, 03:57:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sakorick

I have a pair of Killdeer who have a nest adjacent to my driveway. These are very special birds. I see them at least twice a day and the babies should hatch soon. What makes them so neat is their bravery. When you get close to the nest the Female will come up on the gravel and run down the road in front of you. Then you slow down to a stop and they put on a show that only God could have visioned. They go into their broken wing, hobbling routine drawing the would be nest bandit away from the nest. In tune with the female the male races down the road....a further distraction. These are the most fun birds I have ever watched. Pic 1 is the female walking calmly away from the nest. As you near she spins to the right or left (pic 2&3) in the classic broken wing award and the nest is saved again and she bolts in the air and does a 180 back to the nest while the male is still teasing down the road.
[ATTACH]16376[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]16377[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]16378[/ATTACH]
Talk to yourself. There are times you need expert advice.

gitano

Be nicer than necessary.

Jorge in Oz

We have the Aussie Plovers nesting across our property and yes they are brave birds. I use to call them Beatle Birds when I was at University as they reminded me of the Fab Four with their dark mop tops.

[ATTACH]16379[/ATTACH]
"The Germans brought the best hunting rifle to the war. The Americans brought the best target rifle. The British brought the best battle rifle!"

"The early church was married to poverty, prisons and persecutions. Today, the church is married to prosperity, personality, and popularity." ― Leonard Ravenhill

gitano

"Wattled plovers. I got many oictures when I was there. They are huge! Might be the biggest plovers in the world. Easily stand a foot high when erect.

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

Jorge in Oz

Nice! They don't like my little dog.
"The Germans brought the best hunting rifle to the war. The Americans brought the best target rifle. The British brought the best battle rifle!"

"The early church was married to poverty, prisons and persecutions. Today, the church is married to prosperity, personality, and popularity." ― Leonard Ravenhill

Tags: