Payton's elk hunt

Started by Hunterbug, November 18, 2021, 06:49:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hunterbug

So Pea and I headed down for her elk hunt on the Bosque Del Oso SWA on Friday. We got there early enough to look around but didn't see anything. Saturday morning we got up and went to a spot that we'd scouted and waited for daylight. Nothing. After a while we walked around a bit then headed back to camp for lunch. One of our neighbors came in and had gotten a bull close to us that morning. He was glad to get this one. His ivories were worn down to nothing and he had a broken back hip. Here is his bull.
Ask not what your government can do for you. Ask how your government can go away and get out of your life.

The unarmed man is is not only defenseless, he is also contemptible.
Niccolo Machiavelli

Hunterbug

Sunday morning we got up and glassed the hill from across the road. We spotted 3 bulls. One was pretty nice, one was quite a bit smaller and one was really broken up from fighting. We tried to get on them but weren't able to do so. Sunday evening and all of Monday we saw nothing. Tuesday morning our other neighbor who we had made friends with got a nice bull in the same area. I went up and helped them pack it out. Here is his bull.
Ask not what your government can do for you. Ask how your government can go away and get out of your life.

Niccolo Machiavelli

Hunterbug

Wednesday morning we got up and decided to watch that same hill from across the road. We didn't see anything and so kind of poked around a little before heading down to cell reception so she could attend her online class at 0800. We went back to the main road so I could glass while she did class. No sooner had we stopped before she spotted an elk. I looked and it was a bull. And it was a nice bull. I noted where he was and where he was headed. So we headed back up to the parking spot and she logged in to the class with her ear buds. We hiked the mile and a half as quickly as we could and found a glassing spot. She stood up to look down and sat down and told me that he was right below us. I said, well shoot him! So she got her shooting sticks ready and stood up. It seemed like an eternity until she shot. I listened but didn't hear a hit. She chambered another round and shot. This time I heard the hit. She said he was down.  He was still moving so she shot him again. It was just his death throws but better safe than sorry. I have never been so happy. We got to him and he was a beautiful 6x6. The shot was 216 yards and she used her 270 with 150gr Partitions.

Niccolo Machiavelli

Hunterbug

Packing the head and my hunting pack out.

Niccolo Machiavelli

Hunterbug

The bullet recovered just under the hide.

Niccolo Machiavelli

Hunterbug

The two happy hunters with their bulls. The neighbors helped us pack her elk out. They were really great people and I can't wait to see them again.

Niccolo Machiavelli

Jamie.270

Congratulations Payton!!!  :MOGRIN:

(and dad too!)

Looks like that .270 came through with flying colors.
A hearty "Well Done" to all.
QuoteRestrictive gun laws that leave good people helpless, don\'t have the power to render bad people harmless.

To believe otherwise is folly. --  Me

Hunterbug

Quote from: Jamie.270;156137Congratulations Payton!!!  :MOGRIN:

(and dad too!)

Looks like that .270 came through with flying colors.
A hearty "Well Done" to all.

Thanks. We had a great time and the 270 worked great.

Niccolo Machiavelli

davidlt89

that is awesome!!! nothing like seeing your kid down an animal and seeing their face!! God Bless.
Romans 12:2

2 Don't copy the behavior and customs of this world, but let God transform you into a new person by changing the way you think. Then you will learn to know God's will for you, which is good and pleasing and perfect.

gitano

The girls rocked it this year!

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

branxhunter

Well done Payton! What a terrific read!

Wonderful elk, grand old rifle, brilliant time with dad, gorgeous country, helpful neighbours, and - not to forget - healthy balance of class vs hunting. What's not to like?

She rocks those boots too!

Marcus

Paul Hoskins

What GITANO said again. .....:MOGRIN:......Good job, Peanut.......Paul H

Hunterbug

Thanks everyone. I was really happy for her. Out of the 5 bull and 2 youth either *** tags 3 bulls were taken by the 3 camps in our campground and all from the same hillside. Granted, it's a big hill but still. One bull hunter from the other campground was able to tag out. As far as I know the other 2 bull hunters and other youth hunter were unsuccessful.

Now her sister wants to get a big bull.

Niccolo Machiavelli

Tags: