Titanium Monoblock

Started by j0e_bl0ggs (deceased), July 30, 2019, 10:56:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

j0e_bl0ggs (deceased)

Had some Ti-6Al-4V (Grade 5) for a moderator, decided just to do a monoblock.
Tough to machine! Trick appears to be go slow, keep cool and have good chip clearance.

Made the muzzle adaptor first...

Then 'filled me boots'...

I have some ERW stainless tube to suit, I will roll crimp the parts in the tube - you will note the grooves machined in both the parts for this, I'll roll the face over as well.

It will be interesting to see how well it works, Ti does not have particularly good thermal conductivity so is not ideal for moderator use*, hopefully the stainless tube will take care of the heat for me!

* Moderators work by 'slowing the gasses down' what this actually means in a nutshell is cooling the hot gas, the better the thermal conductivity the better the moderator transfers heat to the outside world, Ti's poor thermal conductivity means it retains the heat for longer de rating its performance in a moderator, one upside will be its resistance to corrosion. Poor thermal conductivity is also the reason it is tough to machine
Turvey Stalking
Learn from the Limeys or the Canucks, or the Aussies, or the Kiwis, or the...
                   "The ONLY reason to register a firearm is for future confiscation - How can it serve ANY other purpose?"

sakorick

I'm betting it will work just fine.
Talk to yourself. There are times you need expert advice.

gitano

Assuming the bore is for a .22 caliber bullet, (a critical assumption), it appears to me that the overall length might be between 3.5 and 4". If correct, that should be quite 'petite'.

Being titanium, it should be pretty light weight. What do you think the final weight will be?

Again assuming use with firearms chambered for .22 caliber cartridges, do you intend for its primary use to be with CF (say Hornets) or rimfire firearms?

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

j0e_bl0ggs (deceased)

Dun, cerakote tomorrow...
BTW 26mm x 175mm 197g 22cal. Titanium is around 60% weight of steel.

Turvey Stalking
                   "The ONLY reason to register a firearm is for future confiscation - How can it serve ANY other purpose?"

j0e_bl0ggs (deceased)

All finished, Cerakote H294 Midnight Bronze.

Hopefully get to test this weekend.

Turvey Stalking

gitano

Can't imagine that it will be anything but quiet.

Certainly wish we could legally make those here!

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

Paul Hoskins

With no accidents it should last a lifetime. You're right about machining titanium. Especially the coolant and lots of rake on the tool. Same goes for hastelloy. I like machining titanium but hastelloy sucks. ........Paul H

j0e_bl0ggs (deceased)

Mod works well with rimfire will try full power hornet when I go out on Sunday. Blooded it with a magpie in the yard this morning!

Only ever done some metal spraying on a hastelloy pump shaft - never really understood why the customer wanted that, but the preparation machining was not much of a problem, ignorance has its uses!
Turvey Stalking

j0e_bl0ggs (deceased)

Full power hornet fine too! Works well.
Turvey Stalking

Tags: