The next project... .416x.348 Win Cape Gun

Started by gitano, November 14, 2008, 09:51:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gitano

Not really 22hornet. It needs the extractor fabricated, and of course regulating the rifle barrel. Between the holidays, being ill, and it being cold, (-20 F (-29 C) for tonight's low), I haven't been "inclined" to shoot it. Oh, and it's dark most of the time too.

I'm waffling around with fabricating the extractor because... I don't know exactly where to start. There are several ways to "skin this cat", and I'm not sure the best way to proceed. Indecision usually leads to procrastination on my part.

I've also been acquiring new guns. The Quigley is only one of a few new additions to the flock. When I get the purchases sorted out, I'll post some news.

You should keep my feet to the fire on this project though. I appreciate that.

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

gitano

OK 22Hornet - After mulling it over for a few weeks or so, I decided to just 'bite the bullet' and dive right in to fabricating the extractor from scratch. It's a lot more difficult than it looks. At least to do it precisely. I've attached a picture of "the hard part". From this point on, it's just a matter of shaping it to the barrels.

The problem is creating four holes, (two for the shells and two for the rims); the rims concentric to the heads; and all four at an exact centerline spacing. Add to the problem that all the holes are larger than 0.500" (the largest drills in most drill indexes including mine), and are not particularly close to an exact drill size. For example, the rim on the .416 is 0.618". The rim on the 16 ga - 0.818". 39/64ths is 0.6094" while 5/8ths is 0.625". 13/16ths is .8125" and 53/64ths is 0.828".

The .416 holes weren't too difficult as I used the same reamer I cut the chamber with. Had I had a 16 ga reamer, it too would have been relatively easy. However, since I don't have a 16 ga reamer, the 16 ga side of the extractor required drilling a 0.500" center hole spaced and aligned properly with the .416 holes and then cutting the piece off of the larger stock piece, and centering it in my 4-jaw chuck - with emphasis on the word "centering". That was brutal. THEN, once that hole was enlarged to the proper size for the 16 ga head (0.745"), the rim hole had to be bored. Not only did the piece need to be centered in the chuck, it had to be flat accross it's face otherwise the rim hole would have been cockeyed.

Anyway, since 22hornet is 'keeping an eye' on me, I thought I'd show the latest. Now, I have to fit the extractor to the barrels; make the extractor rod and thread one end; drill and tap the extractor to receive the rod; and cut a retaining groove on the rod to capture the retaining screw. As I said though, the hard part is done. Fitting the extractor to the barrels is just a matter of careful filing.

Once the extractor is complete, the only significant task ahead is regulating the rifle barrel. I'll take about half an inch off the existing shotgun barrels to make it flush with the rifle muzzle and reinstall the front bead. I was rummaging around in a 'scrap pile" and found a Barretta front bead. I'll install that half way back down the barrel rib for a "two bead" sight setup. Then I'll do the regulating. Once that's done, it's "field ready", but there are some cosmetic issues. I don't like the matt finish on the Huglu barrels, and I don't like the nickle plating on the receiver. Ultimately, I will polish the barrels and deplate the receiver. I'll then have the barrels blued and the receiver case colored or blued. But... that's a ways down the road.

More when there is more.

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

gitano

Here it is without the shells.

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

gitano

Here's what the original looks like:

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

kombi1976

Now we're itching to see that new extractor!!! :eek:
Cheers & God Bless
22lr ~ 22 Hornet ~ 25-20 ~ 303/25 ~ 7mm-08 ~ 303 British ~ 310 Cadet ~ 9.3x62 ~ 450/400 N.E. 3"

22hornet

Quote from: gitano;89234Anyway, since 22hornet is 'keeping an eye' on me, I thought I'd show the latest.

I sure am. ;)

I don't know of anyone, apart from a gunsmith, who would even try to do anything like this in OZ. I'm not even sure if it is legal to carry out this type of work at home? Kombi, do you know any different? :undecided:

Anyway Paul, I just like see the progress you are making. When the kids are grown up and off my hands and the house paid off, I would like to tinker in abit of gunsmithing for myself. And why not pick the brains of someone who knows?

Good to see some progress. At -29deg C I would be rugged up in front of a fireplace, not in front of a lathe.:D
"Belief:" faith in something taught, as opposed to "knowledge:" which is awareness borne of experience.

gitano

QuoteAt -29deg C I would be rugged up in front of a fireplace,
Well, things are improving in that department. Of late, it's been in the teens (approximately -10 C) during the day. I keep my shop at about 58F (~15 C), so it's actually pleasant to be in front of a lathe.

The latest "excitement" with regard to "ambient conditions" is the eruption of Mount Redoubt, located about 150 miles from me. It hasn't happened yet, but the prognosticators are predicting that an eruption is imminent. Last time it erupted, 1989, ash-fall in the area where I live was a big deal. It essentally shut down the highways for about 36 hours. When it erupted, I was away from home a distance of about a 6-hour drive. That time, it took me about 10 hours to get home, and the nearer I got to home, the worse the visibility got. In the end, I couldn't see more than about 50 feet ahead of me on the road. Also, it's surprizing how abrasive volvanic "ash" is. You can't just wipe it off your car, unless of course you had intended to sand the paint off. :eek The filters for everything have to be changed - often several times, as the ash 'hangs around' for weeks as it gets stirred up by cars on the roads and wind on the ground.

Anyway, I'll keep you posted on the progress with the extractor. It looks a bit rough now, but it should 'clean up' just fine. It is my intent that it look better than the original. If it doesn't, I'll do it 'til it does. :Banghead: (Of course I'll be using this one in the mean time so I can shoot the thing, dontchaknow. ;)) If I do have to redo it, I'm going to rent or make a 16 ga reamer. Reaming the two 16 ga holes, ("bore" and rim), was too much trouble to do more than once without a properly-sized reamer.

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

kombi1976

Paul, what sort of impact does the eruption have on the local game?
Cheers & God Bless
22lr ~ 22 Hornet ~ 25-20 ~ 303/25 ~ 7mm-08 ~ 303 British ~ 310 Cadet ~ 9.3x62 ~ 450/400 N.E. 3"

gitano

Kombi,

The eruptions of most of the volcanos in Alaska rarely produce "pyroclastic", (lava and hot mud), flows. Therefore, the immediate danger is the same for all air-breathing creatures. The impact on fish however, is a BIG deal.

Ash is almost always acidic, and simply falling on a lake acidifies to one degree or another, the water. To what degree is a function of how much ash falls. Also, ash can fall on salmon spawning beds and wreak absolute havok, wiping out a whole year-class. It's not uncommon for the "melt" and subsequent non-pyroclastic mudslide from a winter eruption to completely block a stream for days to months to forever.

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

j0e_bl0ggs (deceased)

Was the extractor completed?

Yeah I know 'holy thread resurrection batman...'
Turvey Stalking
Learn from the Limeys or the Canucks, or the Aussies, or the Kiwis, or the...
                   "The ONLY reason to register a firearm is for future confiscation - How can it serve ANY other purpose?"

gitano

No. I removed the liner to fiddle with something else. I have the extractor in my hand but I'm not sure that I will reinstall the liner in THAT shotgun. The Huglu shotgun stock is not shaped right for use as a rifle, which leads to hurtful recoil even with relatively modest loads.

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

gitano

My opinion on what the rest of the internet thinks about "old" threads is not suitable for posting here at THL. We (humans) compile knowledge based on HISTORICAL experience. It's profoundly stupid and arrogant to "female dog" about the age of a given thread. ("Profoundly stupid and arrogant" is of course the modus operandus of the internet.) If the information in a thread was useful and/or interesting to someone 5 years ago, it's useful and/or interesting to someone today. And even if it weren't, WHO FRIGGIN' CARES! Nobody is putting a gun to "your" head forcing "you" to read it!

There is no "expiration date" on threads at THL, and as long as I have anything to say about it, there never will be.

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

j0e_bl0ggs (deceased)

Yeah, it was a tongue in cheek comment, thread resurrection usually is a good way of making forum warriors spit the dummy...:grin:
Turvey Stalking
Learn from the Limeys or the Canucks, or the Aussies, or the Kiwis, or the...
                   "The ONLY reason to register a firearm is for future confiscation - How can it serve ANY other purpose?"

gitano

Quote from: j0e_bl0ggs;150407Yeah, it was a tongue in cheek comment, thread resurrection usually is a good way of making forum warriors spit the dummy...:grin:
I knew you weren't 'worried' about it, but the subject seriously annoys me when it comes up on other sites. REALLY... What is the @#$%^&* harm in resurrecting an old thread? NOW... Should the 'resurrector' not pay attention to the dates of the latest posts AND make an "issue" of something, it's appropriate to let that person know that the thread is 'old'.

I wrestled with the idea of completing the extractor, but I REALLY don't think I'm going to put THAT liner back in THAT shotgun. It was too brutal, even at relatively mild (.338 Win Mag) recoil values. I'm going to put that liner in another shotgun barrel. Doing so MAY require that I make a new butt for that new firearm too, as shotgun butts just aren't 'user friendly' in the context of "getting down" on the rifle when you have to aim with open sights.

At any rate, that project is on the back burner for the time being.

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

Tags: