Reloading for the 9.3X57 mauser

Started by HSM_miner, August 02, 2008, 09:00:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gitano

Measure the head diameter prior to, and after, resizing. If the difference is much greater than 0.010", your chamber is "big" for your die, or conversely, you have a "small-base" die for your 9.3x57.

A 'fix' is to screw the die out at least one full turn. (You only really need to resize about half the neck.) See if that doesn't help. HOWEVER, after reloading a few cartridges with the die modified, be SURE to run them through your action to make sure they chamber.

Paul

Good pics by the way...:biggthumpup:
Be nicer than necessary.

Nelsdou

Jeff,

When I first got my Hornady dies for the 9.3x57 and started re-sizing 8x57 brass it was taking way too much effort, and that was using Imperial sizing wax to boot. I sent them back to Hornady to investigate and they polished them. Work very slick now.

You probably saw earlier in this thread where my chamber is either is slightly long or my dies are setting the shoulder back too far. After expanding I re-set the shoulder by placing a thin shim between the die and the shell holder, then run them through the action to confirm I get a slight crush fit. I haven't experienced any case separations and I believe some cases have been cycled up to 7 times before I caught on to the need to bump the shoulders forward. So Paul is right on about checking head diameter.

Nice to see that 9.3 making meat. I like the way the Weaver sits on that rifle with the butterknife bolt handle.

Nels
Put it into perspective; we live on a rock hurtling through space, what could be scarier than that?

gitano

QuoteNice to see that 9.3 making meat. I like the way the Weaver sits on that rifle with the butterknife bolt handle.
Me too...

Paul[/SIZE]
Be nicer than necessary.

MooseMT

If you like the way it looks you would love the way it balances.  It is nice and light, doesn't kick much and it really works well in the field, not really your classic flat shooting open country gun, but it holds it own within its limitations.  I have set some limits for myself, allowing for wind or keep the shots a lot closer.  I still like the 225 yard limit, it is still within the point blank hold area with a 2.5 high zero at 100.  As slow as the bullets are even though heavier, I just was ignorant on the wind effect.  Too many bad habits caused by my 338 with it I don't allow for the wind (reasonable wind) on a 200 yard shot.  Live and learn and as ugly as the shots sounded the animals didn't suffer much it was over quicker than it took to write it.  I will be more responsible in the future.

There are a few guns that just hang well and feel just right.  To me this little gun is right there with the M-14, the Winchester 70 and Model 700 bull barrel.  These guns I can just throw up to the shoulder and hold my own off hand because of their balances and the way they fit.

I have enough loads for the rest of the season.  I will adjust out the die (Hornandy) and try that this winter.  Thanks for the suggestions.

Jeff

MooseMT

If you like the way it looks you would love the way it balances. It is nice and light, doesn't kick much and it really works well in the field, not really your classic flat shooting open country gun, but it holds it own within its limitations. I have set some limits for myself, allowing for wind or keep the shots a lot closer. I still like the 225 yard limit, it is still within the point blank hold area with a 2.5 high zero at 100. As slow as the bullets are even though heavier, I just was ignorant on the wind effect. Too many bad habits caused by my 338 with it I don't allow for the wind (reasonable wind) on a 200 yard shot. Live and learn and as ugly as the shots sounded the animals didn't suffer much it was over quicker than it took to write it. I will be more responsible in the future. :Banghead:

There are a few guns that just hang well and feel just right. To me this little gun is right there with the M-14, the Winchester 70 and Model 700 bull barrel. These guns I can just throw up to the shoulder and hold my own off hand because of their balances and the way they fit.

I have enough loads for the rest of the season. I will adjust out the die (Hornandy) and try that this winter. Thanks for the suggestions.

Jeff

HSM_miner

Now it has been a few years since I touched my 9.3x57 for a few reasons.  A layoff, a few years pack sack mining, finally made it back home.  Also the previous stock split, so I decided to restock.  Put on a Boyd's laminate this fall, and re-explored my old load development with H4895.  I kept the C.O.L. of 3.100" as it just cycles well in my rifle, and dropped the powder down to 48.1gn of powder.  This chronied for an average of 2172 ft/sec in my rifle.  As luck would have it I got to finally blood this rifle a couple times this fall.  Here is a few pictures of the small buck I shot with it.  There is something to be said about holes in deer which start out big.  They just bleed out very nicely, as they should.  Very little shock damage, a nice meat cartridge.  I will not be afraid to use the 9.3x57 again for white tailed deer.  BTW I also shot a doe at 69 meters, it did the same as the buck.  It hunched it back in reaction to the shot, then fell on the spot.  

gitano

Be nicer than necessary.

sakorick

It's great to see a post that's 7 years old come full cycle with a happy ending. Good on ya, Miner!
Talk to yourself. There are times you need expert advice.

Brithunter

The 9.3x57 always impressed me in the way it shot and handled.
Go Get them Floyd!

Nelsdou

Good to see you have made it back Miner!.  Like you I have been away with a job change and relocation, however I haven't touch a trigger in that time so my jealousy rages.  Those Boyd laminates are pretty tough so your 9.3 should be a critter-getter for years to come. I gotta get some time to get mine out........
Put it into perspective; we live on a rock hurtling through space, what could be scarier than that?

gitano

Be nicer than necessary.

Tags: