A New Rifle

Started by recoil junky, February 17, 2015, 06:12:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Paul Hoskins

RJ, check the case neck thickness & case length. Especially be sure there is sufficient neck clearance to release the bullet. You may be surprised at the difference in accuracy. I never worry too much about variation in case capacity.   ......That's a good glass bedding job. I never had that kind of luck. ......Paul H

recoil junky

These are part of the same fifteen pieces of brass that I started load development with. They've been trimmed (a couple times at least) chamfered and the flash holes deburred.

I might be fighting bullet problems. This barrel has the same crown as the crown as the 300RUM and the .243 which don't like long boat tails either.

RJ
When you go afield, take the kids and please......................................wear your seatbelts.
Northwest Colorado.............Where the wapiti roam and deer and antelope run amuck. :undecided:  
Proud father of a soldier medic in The 82nd Airborne 325th AIR White Falcons :army:

recoil junky

So . . . . . even though I'm not supposed to be shooting I did anyway (more on that in a minute)

Since my last "published" attempt, I got some Hornady brass and changed to 100 grain Nolser Ballistic tips nad Federal LR primers. Not my choice for a hunting bullet, but the should do a "bang-up" job :p on prairie dogs.

Shots one and two are "fowlers" from a clean, cold barrel. Shot #5 was (to use Paul's excuse) too much coffee.

RJ
When you go afield, take the kids and please......................................wear your seatbelts.
Northwest Colorado.............Where the wapiti roam and deer and antelope run amuck. :undecided:  
Proud father of a soldier medic in The 82nd Airborne 325th AIR White Falcons :army:

Paul Hoskins

RJ, nothing wrong with that group. Too much coffee will do odd things to anyone. I never liked Hornady brass or bullets. Been trying to stick with Win. brass & Nosler bullets myself. They serve me well. .....Paul H

sakorick

I have nothing against Hornady Brass.....but most of their rifle bullets are trash......Pistol and Muzzleloader bullets just peachy.
Talk to yourself. There are times you need expert advice.

recoil junky

I'd like to stick to RP brass, but finding any such is like trying to find, well, RP brass. There just isn't any. I think there may have been nothing "wrong" with my converted RP 30-06 brass either, but  I was ready to try something new. The switch to Federal primers was a good choice and I may try some match primers (Federal) before I settle on a final load.

Now I will play with the powder charge by tenths up and down to see if IMR7828 is really the powder I want to use.

RJ

gitano

Be nicer than necessary.

gitano

So what's happenin' with this rifle, RJ?

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

recoil junky

Weeeeeelllllll . . . . . . . it's funny you should ask. I never really "nailed down" a load using the 117 grain Serrias, which I was hoping would develop into something. I stumbled on some 100 grain Nosler Ballistic tips (PTOOEY) that ended up shooting rather well by accident with copious amounts of IMR7828. I've not shot my last trial load for group, but on a whim took them along to "play with" while shooting prairie dogs and after some scope twiddling they were found to be quite excellent. I have no idea how they group or the velocity, but they are "terminal" prairie dog rounds.

I have scrapped the RP brass and purchased Hornady brass as it's all there was available. The RP brass was too unpredictable in how it was going to shoot having come from many different years and lots of manufacture. I'll probably neck some back up to see how they run in the 30-06AI. Or I may just pitch the whole shebang.

I may get to shooting a group tomorrow evening as I have three other rifles to run foulers through after I clean them tonight.

RJ

gitano

If I was hittin' p'dogs at will, I probably wouldn't spoil the warm fuzzy by doing something as risky as checking the group size on paper. I'm not joking!

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

davidlt89

QuoteI probably wouldn't spoil the warm fuzzy by doing something as risky as checking the group size on paper.
Agree wholeheartedly! God Bless.
Romans 12:2

2 Don't copy the behavior and customs of this world, but let God transform you into a new person by changing the way you think. Then you will learn to know God's will for you, which is good and pleasing and perfect.

farmboy

Funny how it works sometimes that you own a rifle that just does not miss. Yet another that groups about the same does not seem to work as well in the field. I have always thought that might be related to stock fit.

gemihur

With the break-actions you don't have the continuity of lumber from fore to aft.
Here's an Encore with a whittled forearm in 270 Win.

The Schnabel got a little out of hand, nearly scrotum-like
But shoots like your ringing a bell!
Jimmy

Tags: